Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Less of those pesky crypto miners hogging parts, that's what. :pac:
    I didn't think crypto miners would want SSD's? More likely to do with the huge fine china is imposing on dram makers for collusion which is bringing them in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Shame RAM doesn’t crash in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Just noticed that all the discounts that were available for 1080s on overclockers.co.uk are now gone.

Prior to launch, there were about 5 different 1080s in the range of £469 - £499. Immediately after launch the price went up to £489 and now the cheapest 1080 is about £500.

I was hoping that the prices of the RTX 20xx's were am attempt to purge the GTX10xx's and once that stock had been purged the RTX's would drop in price.

However, if they are increasing prices/ removing discounts, that looks unlikely (unless it's just another money grab by retailers/aib partners/nvidia)

There's no way prices will drop on the RTX cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

farna_boy wrote: »
    Just noticed that all the discounts that were available for 1080s on overclockers.co.uk are now gone.

Prior to launch, there were about 5 different 1080s in the range of £469 - £499. Immediately after launch the price went up to £489 and now the cheapest 1080 is about £500.

I was hoping that the prices of the RTX 20xx's were am attempt to purge the GTX10xx's and once that stock had been purged the RTX's would drop in price.

However, if they are increasing prices/ removing discounts, that looks unlikely (unless it's just another money grab by retailers/aib partners/nvidia)

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_512&xf=653_NVIDIA%7E9810_7+8228+-+GTX+1080

Plenty of models for less than what you were seeing on Overclockers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

farna_boy wrote: »

Yeah, OcUK's Gibbo warned the forums that this would be how the 10 series pricing would play out. Plenty of other options though, as K.O. Kiki says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Any idea what is this? I am in middle of cleaning all my pc related stuff and found this in box of bits and bobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Didn't want to dig up the old thread so, Is there still good deals to be had buying Korean monitor's? I'm looking for a 1440p 100Hz - 144Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://eu.evga.com/products/featured-bundles.aspx - would I be right in saying this is one of the better deals available for a 1080 at the moment?

€529 EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING + EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 Power Supply (UK Cable Set) + EVGA Powerlink ?

Or anything better? Outside of going down the second hand route..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Shlippery wrote: »
    https://eu.evga.com/products/featured-bundles.aspx - would I be right in saying this is one of the better deals available for a 1080 at the moment?

€529 EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING + EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 Power Supply (UK Cable Set) + EVGA Powerlink ?

Or anything better? Outside of going down the second hand route..

Without even looking, I'm pretty sure not. You'd need to find a 1080 in the 400-450 range to compete.
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_512&xf=9810_7+8228+-+GTX+1080&asuch=&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=uk&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p&bl1_id=30#productlist

Around €460 is lowest for card only.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Without even looking, I'm pretty sure not. You'd need to find a 1080 in the 400-450 range to compete.
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_512&xf=9810_7+8228+-+GTX+1080&asuch=&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=uk&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p&bl1_id=30#productlist

Around €460 is lowest for card only.

I did the comparison a day or two back myself (took the plunge for a 1080 ti and will see about their step up program for a 2080 if it looks worth it after reviews come out) - the EVGA deals are about as good as it gets right now.

I think they quote the wrong VAT rate initially though so be aware of that - it'll be a few quid more. Shipping's also about €15 on them.

L wrote: »
    I did the comparison a day or two back myself (took the plunge for a 1080 ti and will see about their step up program for a 2080 if it looks worth it after reviews come out) - the EVGA deals are about as good as it gets right now.

I think they quote the wrong VAT rate initially though so be aware of that - it'll be a few quid more. Shipping's also about €15 on them.

I got their 1080ti deal too. VAT is wrong as L said. 767euro in total incl. free shipping. Though the free shipping is no longer part of the FTW3 deal.

Also, it's now a 750W PSU but i got the 850W.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is a Vega64 at €500 not a better deal than a 1080 at €450ish?

xtal191 wrote: »

If you know someone in Germany you can get Vega 56 for €399
    https://geizhals.eu/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-red-dragon-axrx-vega-56-8gbhbm2-2d2hd-oc-a1793534.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk

xtal191 wrote: »

No, even a year later and it sits behind the 1080 in most gaming titles. In theory its a much better card but in reality its not. Unless you have a freesync monitor and really want it, its not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Does it though? The reviews pretty much showed it faster than the 1080 across a fairly broad spectrum of games (not just in DX12), at the cost of significantly higher power consumption...and the insane retail price at launch obviously.

Does it though? The reviews pretty much showed it faster than the 1080 across a fairly broad spectrum of games (not just in DX12), at the cost of significantly higher power consumption...and the insane retail price at launch obviously.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radeon-rx-vega-20791677

The final results graphs have Vega on the left.

You could pick and choose games to show either card winning if you wanted.
    But the AMD gpu sucks more power and its performance is usually a little behind the 1080 on more popular titles running Unreal Engine.

Its a pity that's the case and that AMD has no intention of releasing 7nm Vega. Because the 1080, which was a year older than the Vega GPU, is probably going to be kept at price parity with AMD's gpu's for pure profit at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Broadly on parity was my impression.

The massive power consumption is what's weird - you can undervolt them to reduce their power use while actually increasing their performance (thermal issues with HBM2 was suggested as the driver). I guess it's a yield maximization strategy for AMD (higher voltage meaning they can have more silicon that'll just about do) but it seems bizarre.

As for insane retail prices, I've now realised stepping up my new EVGA 1080 ti to a 2080 would cost me €250 (let alone €700 if I wanted a 2080 ti). It really feels like Nvidia is either milking the market until 2019/2020 brings more serious competition for them to deal with (Navi or Intel), or they've made a serious misstep in what they think people will pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone getting 2080TI in September?

Im thinking of building a new PC around it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i was thinking of it but its just too much money, that and we have no real idea of how it performs in comparison to the 1080ti in non ray tracing games. The 2080 is the interesting card imo, 2080ti is too much for a single gpu

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

rtx cards wont be anywhere near current performance for a couple of years yet.
    Considering the latest gameplay direct from nvidia is only at 1080p with a $1200 card and has frame drops into the low 40s shows how far off they are.
    No way in hell im sacrificing 144fps on 144hz monitor not to mention dropping down to 1080P.

Best case scenario is +20% performance over current cards right now without rtx,, add in rtx and its just stupid bad performance, yes its early days but its still miles off seeing the performance the pc gamer of today is used to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Headshot wrote: »

How soon will you be selling this one?

Mindfactory might be forced to ship outside Germany again thanks an EU law coming into effect on 3rd December

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/rules-against-unjustified-geoblocking-enter-force

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Mindfactory might be forced to ship outside Germany again thanks an EU law coming into effect on 3rd December

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/rules-against-unjustified-geoblocking-enter-force

Could they dissuade that with stupid delivery prices for outside of Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Headshot wrote: »

I have one on pre order shipping on the 20th from Scan.co.uk. The pre orders were sold out 20 minutes after they went live. Availability after the 20th will be slim pickings until November at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I have one on pre order shipping on the 20th from Scan.co.uk. The pre orders were sold out 20 minutes after they went live. Availability after the 20th will be slim pickings until November at least.

Oh cool.

Which manufacture/model did you go for in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA, no FTW cards out there. Have had a good few EVGA cards over the years and they have always been solid. The marketing has been genius from Nvidia POV....one month prior to release sell out all your new cards behind a hype train. Then force the card makers to buy old stock 1080 and 1080ti off you. They have to sell them at a big discount before the second hand market is flooded with them. On release and for 6 months there will be a month or two of wait, and the price hike separated the old from the new and means that 1080 and 1080ti's will suddenly be the value proposition and continue to sell.after a few months bring out the 2070 to bring the more price sensitive back into the fold...its a licence to print money. AMD has allowed them to create an new upper end market cause they had the room to do so with the fiasco that was vega 64, and their control of the market and technology will make it hard for the underdogs to compete

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement