Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

460297.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Doge wrote: »
    460297.jpg

I cut a notch out of a case once to fit in a card with a 90-100mm fan! The shorud was too tall. It had a slide out motherboard tray though, so once it was slid back in you couldn't see it. No Dremel for me either, junior hacksaw to the rescue! The case was aluminium so it was easy to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Regarding the thread on the 1080Ti bundle - Did anyone here buy a 980Ti back around the time the 1080 & 1070 were released? Curious how the last gen fared when the new gen came out. I've pretty much always been using a current gen graphics card.

I may just get a 1080Ti when I'm in the market for a new PC next year instead, I'm thinking the 2070 & 2080 will be crazy overpriced for quite a while to come after they're released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I did exactly that. Got a 980ti in the cheap. Still using it and fine it perfect for my needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

OCUK are looking at putting the Vega 64 Strix on promo for £440 I think, according to a team member on the forums. Considering it comes with 3 decent free games and the card that it is, that'd be a pretty good bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

OCUK are looking at putting the Vega 64 Strix on promo for £440 I think, according to a team member on the forums. Considering it comes with 3 decent free games and the card that it is, that'd be a pretty good bargain.

It's already there:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-radeon-rx-vega-64-windforce-oc-8gb-hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-19n-gi.html

TBH the Vega 56 Red Dragon is a better buy at £400
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-red-dragon-8gb-hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-193-pc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was looking to move into a house which never had internet installed (elderly people living in it, never bothered).

Does anyone know what the process would be? It'd be in a housing estate in Cork city, so there'd be fibre to the street, I would presume, but how it'd get from there into the house, I have no idea.

Would they have to lay new cables? Can they piggyback on the copper telephone cables into the house? I really have no idea how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Decent buy. Worth knowing that the Vega 56 can be flashed with the Vega 64's bios which apparently gives it almost the same performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a Gigabyte Gaming, not a great model. They're talking about making the Asus Strix available at the same price.

Though yeah the 56 is a good buy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Gbear wrote: »
    I was looking to move into a house which never had internet installed (elderly people living in it, never bothered).

Does anyone know what the process would be? It'd be in a housing estate in Cork city, so there'd be fibre to the street, I would presume, but how it'd get from there into the house, I have no idea.

Would they have to lay new cables? Can they piggyback on the copper telephone cables into the house? I really have no idea how it works.

Check if there is cable, virgin media give great speeds and many estates are already set up for it.

• Advertisement

Had to switch from wi-fi to homeplugs as my latency kept spiking, hopefully it'll be better now.

7615292871.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I was using a USB Wi-Fi adapter for a while until I inadvertently broke it a few days ago. Soon after, I got an Ethernet cable. Coneection seems to have improved with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You're not the only one complaining about VM Wifi the last few weeks. An update was pushed out to the modems and it seems something dirty is going down in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

You're not the only one complaining about VM Wifi the last few weeks. An update was pushed out to the modems and it seems something dirty is going down in it.

I was only wondering the other day why my Wifi has gone to ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Can anyone recommend a laptop for a friend.

Not clued up on them these days.

She started a course and needs it for general use. Wont be anything heavy duty. Office and the likes etc.

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a laptop for a friend.

Not clued up on them these days.

She started a course and needs it for general use. Wont be anything heavy duty. Office and the likes etc.

Old ThinkPad (buyer's guide) or new Chromebook.
    Notebookcheck is THE site for looking up reviews: https://www.notebookcheck.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Old ThinkPad (buyer's guide) or new Chromebook.
    Notebookcheck is THE site for looking up reviews: https://www.notebookcheck.net/

Cant go second hand as its actually being given as a gift. Ill check out that site. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

or new Chromebook.

why do people use these abominations?
    unless you have access to good wi-fi 24/7 then fine but if you want to install anything or store locally on the drive then it is just a pain to use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Skerries wrote: »
    why do people use these abominations?
    unless you have access to good wi-fi 24/7 then fine but if you want to install anything or store locally on the drive then it is just a pain to use

They really aren't.

You can store all your files offline, assuming you have the space, and since most Chromebooks come with microSD slots, that's not an issue.

If you haven't used one in a few years, I wouldn't be so quick to bash. They're actually pretty nice light-use machines. Looks like they'll be getting some major upgrades soon as well. Native Linux, Android apps, possible even dual-booting with Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Inviere

If you’re not gaming or doing anything computationally extensive, chromebooks are perfect. They’re lightweight, snappy, responsive, and capable.

I’m not a fan at all of laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,358 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys when will we start seeing reviews of the 3rd party 2080TI cards?

19th is what I've heard for benchmarks with lighter stuff from the 14th and the 2080 benchmarks on the 17th.

So, I've decided I'm not a big fan of the Wraith Spire. What coolers are worth considering for AM4 these days?

L wrote: »
    So, I've decided I'm not a big fan of the Wraith Spire. What coolers are worth considering for AM4 these days?

Practically anything with a 120mm fan & weight over 700g will cool the CPU decently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Quick one - Just picked up an m2 drive, Samsung 970 NVME, wanted to fill up that lovely slot on my new motherboard.

I've already the OS on my other SSD., Samsung 860 EVO. I hear NVME is much faster, but would it be worthwhile migrating the os to the new m2 drive or not worth the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

OSI wrote: »
    Up to 7x faster in read speeds, definitely worth doing in my book.

My understanding is NVME is only a major speed difference over SSD when large amounts of data is being moved around but for things like a systems OS boot drive, the difference is tiny and in some cases slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OSI wrote: »
    Up to 7x faster in read speeds, definitely worth doing in my book.

Misrepresentation. Like saying a Veyron will get to work faster in Dublin traffic.

BOOT%20TIME%20OPTANE-ResultFrameRateChart.Png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ED E wrote: »
    Misrepresentation. Like saying a Veyron will get to work faster in Dublin traffic.

BOOT%20TIME%20OPTANE-ResultFrameRateChart.Png

That clearly shows the nvme drive is quicker than a standard SSD unless you have an optane drive as well which I doubt the op does.

• Advertisement

has anyone set up Optane or StoreMI and does it help older spin drives?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement