Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

TheDoc wrote: »
    I had some bitcoin passed to me from a friend who I helped out with a bit of work, neither of us knew what they were at the time so he passed them onto me. I sold them for $200 a piece earlier last year.

lucky git! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

TheDoc wrote: »
    stupid who invest in it. It's a finite currency, as in only X can ever exist.

Until a viable quantum computer is made, then all bets are off for the current bitcoin system.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

AMD's mobile processors are pathetic for any sort of proper gaming.

I bought a gaming laptop with the R9 290M and, at the time, AMD's fastest A10 quad core.

What happened? I was brutally CPU bottlenecked....I compared the A10+290M to an i7+290M and the difference was about 100%, in Ryse Son of Rome the difference was 30fps vs 55-60fps. :eek:

Basically the graphics card was too fast, the CPU couldn't keep up in every game, some games there was only 50% GPU usage.

Waste of money to be honest. Would never touch any AMD mobile processor again.

In fairness, I would not expect something like 290m to be coupled with something like A10. A10 would be more suited for low/mid range gpu. I remember AMD was doing crossfire setups where it used integrated GPU with a normal GPU.
    Keep in mind, I am not looking for high end Laptop. If I could afford high end I would just go right for i7 +970m Laptop, which most likely would have more horsepower then my 2500k + 680 Desktop setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ho-ly fracking ****.

Crucial's MX200 and BX100 drives.

MX200: 250GB, 500GB, 1TB - £108, £192, £360
    BX100: 120, 250GB, 500GB, 1TB - £54, £85, £154, £307

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/crucial-introduces-mx200-and-crucial-bx100-solid-state-drives.html

Those are MSRPs, so we should see pretty damn affordable 1TB drives pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ho-ly fracking ****.

Crucial's MX200 and BX100 drives.

MX200: 250GB, 500GB, 1TB - £108, £192, £360
    BX100: 120, 250GB, 500GB, 1TB - £54, £85, £154, £307

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/crucial-introduces-mx200-and-crucial-bx100-solid-state-drives.html

Those are MSRPs, so we should see pretty damn affordable 1TB drives pretty soon.

With the problems with the firmware on the Samsung Evo's, are the Crucial now a safer bet?

I've an upgrade due over the next 6 weeks or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Samsung fixed those issues. Crucial and Samsung are still top dog regarding SSDs. As far as Evos vs MX100s Evos are slightly faster, but also slightly more expensive. Both great buys as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Set up my new server today and only detecting 122gb ram. It should be 144gb ram. Going to be a pain to figure out where the missing ram is Hopefully not dud sticks.

^Talk about first world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

In fairness, I would not expect something like 290m to be coupled with something like A10. A10 would be more suited for low/mid range gpu. I remember AMD was doing crossfire setups where it used integrated GPU with a normal GPU.
    Keep in mind, I am not looking for high end Laptop. If I could afford high end I would just go right for i7 +970m Laptop, which most likely would have more horsepower then my 2500k + 680 Desktop setup.

Your 680 is more powerful than a 970m, but not than a 980m.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Your 680 is more powerful than a 970m, but not than a 980m.

970m is still impressive bastard when you think about mobile gpus.
    I am looking right now at something with 850m. 860m is out of my reach unfortunately.
    I am not looking to play all games maxed out. All I want something to play world of tanks, xenonauts, wasteland, wow, diablo 3 and some strategy games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

^Talk about first world problems.
    Suppose your right but not fun in a freezing attic trying to figure it out. I let the motherboard boot fully after getting tired of trying to find it (18 dimms) and about 5 seconds past where I was stopping the boot it would actually tell you the exact faulty dimm :P. Damn my lack of patience :P
    Removed one dimm and the dimm paired with it and now have 128gb for the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's a fair price for a 7990? €400?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Suppose performance is around 980 gtx level on a 7990 (maybe the 7990 is a bit better). A 980 GTX is about 550 euro new. The 7990 is second hand, old tech, dual gpu and power hungry + the adverts premium. I think 400 is a pretty good price but you will end up taking 350 or 375.

I was just looking at one earlier for a good price, but just wondering if its worth it at this stage really. I probably won't bother.

I'll probably be selling a computer in the next while, H81/G3258, 8GB, HD6990, 1TB, Carbide 300r Windowed, 1kw PSU...would 500ish be fair for that? I know the 6990 is a bit long in the tooth but it's still a pretty good performer at 1080p, I would say about r9 280 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I was just looking at one earlier for a good price, but just wondering if its worth it at this stage really. I probably won't bother.

I'll probably be selling a computer in the next while, H81/G3258, 8GB, HD6990, 1TB, Carbide 300r Windowed, 1kw PSU...would 500ish be fair for that? I know the 6990 is a bit long in the tooth but it's still a pretty good performer at 1080p, I would say about r9 280 level.

Sounds fair , you'll probably get sniped on adverts for an extra 50€ though , after 2 dozen people ask you to split.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,187 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

papu wrote: »
    Sounds fair , you'll probably get sniped on adverts for an extra 50€ though , after 2 dozen people ask you to split.

or trade.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Headshot wrote: »
    or trade.....

Xbox 360 , a packet of hunky dorys a half eaten mars bar and 6 copies of fifa 14 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Figured this is probably best place to provide some user feedback for a sale?

levitronix had put a post in the sell your gear thread, and understandably it was removed as there wasn't an adverts link. I caught the post just in time, and went ahead with a purchase that concluded today. Very happy buyer and levitronix was hassle free and I'm chuffed.

CPU and HEatsink acquired, motherboard should be here tomorrow. Feel serious burden to pull trigger on 970 tonight, so hurray for new PC upgrades!

^What he said. Happy 4790K owner here. No more 15FPS Star Citizen! Doing pretty well as well considering the €20 cooler that's on it. I have an NH-D15 on the way as well though.

And Doc, please don't go mentioning 970s. I've been good and not gone and bought an MSI Gaming one for a couple of weeks now. :P

^What he said. Happy 4790K owner here. No more 15FPS Star Citizen! Doing pretty well as well considering the €20 cooler that's on it. I have an NH-D15 on the way as well though.

And Doc, please don't go mentioning 970s. I've been good and not gone and bought an MSI Gaming one for a couple of weeks now. :P
    Sweet. You gonna overclock that? You shiuld be able to get 4.6 or even more out of it. And that's a bad ass cooler ;)

• Advertisement

Sweet. You gonna overclock that? You shiuld be able to get 4.6 or even more out of it. And that's a bad ass cooler ;)

Depends. I'll be overclocking it at least a little anyway. It's at 4.2 at the moment, and it gets up to 85°C with Star Citizen after a few minutes, don't want to push it too far at the moment.

The main thing is idle voltage. I want to keep that as low as possible so the cooler stays passive for the longest time. (That's also the reason I'm seriously considering a 970 Gaming. Much quieter than the reference model)

I've the Strix model 980, the 970 is the same, the fans don't spin until the card hits 65c so it's extremely quiet. The 970 also is just one 8-pin connector.

And on a seperate note, but somewhat connected to the above.

Adverts split from boards like, donkeys ago. The Boards owners are very clear in outlining how the two have little connection anymore apart from being under the same umbrella, but operationally they are totally seperate.

I've been wondering why there isn't a dedicated "For Sale" sub-forum here, for people to offer stuff for sale or trade? I was an Airsoft forum user for years and they have a pretty decent for sale subforum.

With adverts charging now for sales, I would have imagined there might be some merit in having a for sale forum here? I can't imagine there would be any issues with the hierarchy relating to issues like removing potential traffic from adverts. They've made such a strong front in how adverts is an entirely seperate entity, it should mean that the revenue impact is seperate as well ;)

i'm literally looking at it right now in my shopping cart.

Narrowed it down to the strix or Gigabyte G1 gaming model. I've a lad picking up an airsoft rifle second hand over the weekend, and when that cash comes into my hand I fear it will be 7.54 seconds after before its gone on that card :D

I think we should just do it man, ****it, treat ourselves, it's christmas.

Depends. I'll be overclocking it at least a little anyway. It's at 4.2 at the moment, and it gets up to 85°C with Star Citizen after a few minutes, don't want to push it too far at the moment.

The main thing is idle voltage. I want to keep that as low as possible so the cooler stays passive for the longest time. (That's also the reason I'm seriously considering a 970 Gaming. Much quieter than the reference model)

Really? Your stock voltage must be fairly high. Also Star Citizen must be extremely CPU instensive to get a chip so hot while gaming.

Haswell voltage will scale automatically, even on an overclock, it's called "adaptive voltage" AFAIK. It idles at extremely low voltages (~0.2) and applies more voltage as necessary, it's a very efficient system.

I was initially leaning towards the Strix, but after reading a comparison, I'm leaning more on the MSI side.

I'll see if I can dig up the article, but TL;DR:

Gigabyte is the fastest clocked, but loudest
    MSI is the quietest, and (I think) second fastest.

Stop! It's already in my cart... God****ingdamnit.

Edit: http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

@Gumbi: My mistake, that was under Prime. Can't remember Star Citizen temps. Stock voltage is around 1.18, I think.

I was initially leaning towards the Strix, but after reading a comparison, I'm leaning more on the MSI side.

I'll see if I can dig up the article, but TL;DR:

Gigabyte is the fastest clocked, but loudest
    MSI is the quietest, and (I think) second fastest.

Stop! It's already in my cart... God****ingdamnit.

Edit: http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1
    A point worth noting, the 970 suffersd from thermal limits. The stock model has tdp limit of 180W. The MSI is 220 (maybe 240, I forget). The Gigabyte model is 280W, and as such, when overclocked (the aftermarket model will hit 1500+/7800 handily enough) won't throttle. They begin throttling at 63 degrees I believe, which is really low.

The MSI model is definitely really quiet though, fans only spin to 2000RPM I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The 2015 PC Builders meme:

kwRNBCP.jpg

I'm gonna have to upgrade soon for SC. But I keep being tempted to spend all my money on big ships :P

• Advertisement

No way it can be 63 degrees. That's just stupid low. To be honest I'm not all that worried though. Even with an overclock, there isn't going to be that much of a bump from my 780. It really is just a noise thing. Main reason I'm thinking on waiting is with the 980 Ti (whatever) prices on the other cards should drop a bit.

... Anyone interested in a 780? :)

RE SC: I made the mistake of trying out a friend's X52 Pro HOTAS the other day... Might be my next purchase. He had pedals too, which actually help a surprising amount. With your hands worrying about less axis of movement, you tend to be able to do more complex things that bit easier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement