Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OSI wrote: »
    Up to 7x faster in read speeds, definitely worth doing in my book.
    That clearly shows the nvme drive is quicker than a standard SSD unless you have an optane drive as well which I doubt the op does.

Liberal use of up to. 1.25x faster boot vs 7x on paper.

I run NVME, has its benefits, but its only really worth bothering with on a new/rebuild as the step up is tiny for most applications (if you're compiling a large codebase every few minutes go for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Bloody computers!

A partition on one of my drives has disappeared. I got an error in intel rapid storage which I didn't pay much attention to at the time but when I've restarted my pc after a windows update the drive is still there and 3 out of the 4 partitions on it are still there but the main one isn't! Rolling back the update achieved nothing. I can see the three partitions in disk management and the full capacity of the drive is in use so the 3 remaining partitions must have increased in size by themselves!

I have the partition backed up but any ideas what the hell has happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Figured it out. One of the internal sata ports stopped working for some reason and I had my partitions and drives confused in my head. So when the port went down one of my drives disappeared and all the other partitions gave themselves different drive letters so I thought i was missing a partition rather than a whole drive. Its back working now in a different port and after I changed all the drive letters back.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Skerries wrote: »
    has anyone set up Optane or StoreMI and does it help older spin drives?

I use StoreMi - it seems to work reasonably well. It's not quite as good as an SSD but it's alright. What specifically do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

came across this as a recommendation for pc parts in Ireland last night https://www.torquegaming.ie/contacts/ clearly changed there name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Anybody ever return a monitor to the UK ?

I'm thinking its going to be a nightmare. My monitor is acting up and I believe the panel is faulty (Need to order another DP cable to confirm)

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Anybody ever return a monitor to the UK ?

I'm thinking its going to be a nightmare. My monitor is acting up and I believe the panel is faulty (Need to order another DP cable to confirm)

parcel motel would do it and ive never had a broken item from them. Hold back the invoice till they send you a replacement then send them the invoice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

came across this as a recommendation for pc parts in Ireland last night https://www.torquegaming.ie/contacts/ clearly changed there name.

Well that looks dodgy. And expensive. Who in their right mind would buy from there!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shlippery wrote: »
    Well that looks dodgy. And expensive. Who in their right mind would buy from there!?

The same pretty much applies to all Irish online vendors when it comes to tech but fcuking hell the prices on that site are insane!

€1700ish for a R7 1700X, reference blower style 1070, bottom tier mobo/SSD and PSU, no name 2666mhz ram and a 7200rpm HD :rolleyes:

Yeah-If-You-mdk29t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you want to make a living off of it, provide good support etc, its about where I would expect it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you want to make a living off of it, provide good support etc, its about where I would expect it to be.

This is what you could build for under 1700eur yourself though:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PxQrpG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This is what you could build for under 1700eur yourself though:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PxQrpG

After costs? Like a premises which comes with bills(rent/utilities/rates/insurance), wages, warranty and support? They are trying to run a proper business.

Its not like you can run out and do way better from other actual companies.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/desktops-and-all-in-ones/alienware-aurora/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/d00awr724

Even if I was to build it for myself, if you take into account my time and the time and risk of faults and repairs over at least 2 years, it wouldn't cost me 1700 either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a bit different. The Dell is a premium build with a) much better specs b) way better quality components and finish, and c) decent support as well.

This crowd have a reputation for terrible customer service and support. There was a thread here recently actually where they basically told a guy to get lost after his PC developed a shut-down fault, claiming it was purely software, when we knew immediately it was a crap no-brand PSU to blame.

Ordered myself a G305 wireless in white, wondering if the lower weight is easily noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Worth while upgrading the i5 4460 to IntelXeonE3-1231. 140 yo-yos. Much better for newer games or better off holding off and getting something new alltogether.

Bang for buck I'm really after.

Worth while upgrading the i5 4460 to IntelXeonE3-1231. 140 yo-yos. Much better for newer games or better off holding off and getting something new alltogether.

Bang for buck I'm really after.

What's your GPU? It's usually better to invest in that first.

Xeon 1231v3 is good though and would definitely help if you're CPU-limited.
    Faster base/boost clock, too.

Has anyone ever or would you consider buying a monitor from Amazon warehouse? 2nd hand /slightly used?

Folks, lets say for argument sake, I managed to find someone on the internet that would make a custom desktop up for me, on some forum, where people discussed that kinda thing (cough, cough, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.. if anyone's interested..), what kinda cash would you spend on a desktop that could run modern games (ie; not a MegaDrive emulator) and do basic enough 'officey' stuff without dying a death.

I've never gotten into PC gaming, heavily due to my desktops never being able to run anything that required more resources than Sugar, Sugar.

But I'd like to get a desktop capable of running more games than I'd ever really play (I enjoy a spin-about in GTA, but other than that my gaming tastes tend to rarely move beyond the realms of Age of Empires, Rollercoaster Tycoon and other such titles). However, if i had a PC capable of running more demanding games, I'd probably try a few racing sims or the likes for the sake of it. Be a way of passing time on boring days.

I had a decent desktop, made by a boardsie, and it cost me under a grand. It was the best desktop I ever had. It lived with me for about 6 years before dying off and now I'm using a heap of a yoke from Argos that I bought because i needed a functioning desktop with no time to spare (this desktop struggles to open a photograph.. :rolleyes: ).

Anyone care to estimate? or take on a little nixer of putting me a desktop together? I live in Louth but would happily spend an hour in the car to get to someone who was willing to do it in Meath, Dublin, Cavan, Kildare, etc. (provided they're somewhat reputable on here).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Has anyone ever or would you consider buying a monitor from Amazon warehouse? 2nd hand /slightly used?

in my opinion, its a bit risky.

monitors can have an array of issues, dead pixels, excessive clouding, banding etc, why have they been returned in the first place? sure, some might just be change of mind, although, could be something really amiss

in saying that you can always return the product back to amazon if you notice an issue, bit of a hassle but I guess you could get a brand new monitor and have the same issues

• Advertisement

Folks, lets say for argument sake, I managed to find someone on the internet that would make a custom desktop up for me, on some forum, where people discussed that kinda thing (cough, cough, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.. if anyone's interested..), what kinda cash would you spend on a desktop that could run modern games (ie; not a MegaDrive emulator) and do basic enough 'officey' stuff without dying a death.

I've never gotten into PC gaming, heavily due to my desktops never being able to run anything that required more resources than Sugar, Sugar.

But I'd like to get a desktop capable of running more games than I'd ever really play (I enjoy a spin-about in GTA, but other than that my gaming tastes tend to rarely move beyond the realms of Age of Empires, Rollercoaster Tycoon and other such titles). However, if i had a PC capable of running more demanding games, I'd probably try a few racing sims or the likes for the sake of it. Be a way of passing time on boring days.

I had a decent desktop, made by a boardsie, and it cost me under a grand. It was the best desktop I ever had. It lived with me for about 6 years before dying off and now I'm using a heap of a yoke from Argos that I bought because i needed a functioning desktop with no time to spare (this desktop struggles to open a photograph.. :rolleyes: ).

Anyone care to estimate? or take on a little nixer of putting me a desktop together? I live in Louth but would happily spend an hour in the car to get to someone who was willing to do it in Meath, Dublin, Cavan, Kildare, etc. (provided they're somewhat reputable on here).
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/

I tailor gaming-builds around the GPU.

€800 - decent machine with a GTX 1060 3Gb / RX 570 4Gb. For 1080p at Medium settings
    €1050 - good machine with GTX 1060 6Gb / RX 580 8Gb. For 1080p at high settings
    €1200 - great machine with GTX 1070 Ti / GTX 1080. For 1440p at high settings / 4K at medium

EVGA still have bundles right now that lower the initial cost to build.

BArra wrote: »
    in my opinion, its a bit risky.

monitors can have an array of issues, dead pixels, excessive clouding, banding etc, why have they been returned in the first place? sure, some might just be change of mind, although, could be something really amiss

in saying that you can always return the product back to amazon if you notice an issue, bit of a hassle but I guess you could get a brand new monitor and have the same issues

Amazon Warehouse deals are final. You may have problems getting them to take it back. They usually list the problems with their individual deals.

Amazon Warehouse deals are final. You may have problems getting them to take it back. They usually list the problems with their individual deals.

Not sure why you think that :confused:

Returns – right of withdrawal
    All of our products are backed by Amazon's satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with the product for any reason, you can return the item in accordance with Amazon's Return Policy.

Due to the unique nature of each Amazon Warehouse Deals item, we unfortunately will be unable to replace any item.

I suppose it might be different with the more expensive items. I tried to return a mouse before when in the description it said a minor scratch on the front of the item when in fact it was a huge scratch. They said it was clearly stated there was a scratch and wouldn't entertain that my thoughts on a minor scratch differed from theirs.

It wasn't expensive so I didn't take it any further in the end.

That's odd, their terms say all, plus distance selling regulations would apply also

That's the thing also with warehouse descriptions, the people doing the checks on returns aren't putting accurate info on product condition text which is very limited, which makes it even more of a gamble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Their QC is pretty bad, be warned. I've gotten things like monitors missing every single cable (including power adapter) but support service is pretty OK. I've had a few issues with warehouse stuff and usually resolved without having to send item back (partial refund usually for missing items, or inaccurate descriptions, or whatever)

You should really have no problem building yourself. If you're really stuck I'm sure someone on here will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

BArra wrote: »
    Not sure why you think that :confused:

Returns – right of withdrawal
    All of our products are backed by Amazon's satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with the product for any reason, you can return the item in accordance with Amazon's Return Policy.

Due to the unique nature of each Amazon Warehouse Deals item, we unfortunately will be unable to replace any item.

This. I've only bought a few bits from Amazon Warehouse, but they were all fine. One of them was a cheapy mobo that turned out to be DOA. They accepted the return same as any other item.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Amazon Warehouse products are usually great and their service is top notch. Bought an EVGA PSU off of them (very good condition) that was supposed to have everything with it but when it arrived it didn’t have the PSU testing tool. Got onto chat to see if they’d send me one. They apologised and said they were sorry but due to warehouse rules they couldn’t but instead they’d refund me 20% of the cost for the inconvenience.

Would have no problems ordering from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I ordered a Haswell motherboard from the Warehouse to go with the spare i5 4690K I had for a Media server I'm building. Description said just the box and manual was missing but when I received it half the rear I/O ports were missing!! ie. Someone unsoldered them from the board. LOL !!

Had no problem getting a refund though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement