Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sorry lads, been out of the loop for a while now. Looking to get some upgrades for herself.

She got a MSI H270 M motherboard already, but looking for a decent (but not overly expensive) LGA 1151 CPU to go along with it.

From looking around it appears the prices are still fairly crazy these days.

You should really have no problem building yourself. If you're really stuck I'm sure someone on here will help you out.

Ah, look, it's probably simple, but everything is simple when you know how to do it. I've never had any experience with this kinda craic at all so it'd be completely alien to me and I'd no doubt end up frustrated by silly things going wrong to the extent that it'd just not be worth the effort. :o

Watch building guides on YouTube. Some really good ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sorry lads, been out of the loop for a while now. Looking to get some upgrades for herself.

She got a MSI H270 M motherboard already, but looking for a decent (but not overly expensive) LGA 1151 CPU to go along with it.

From looking around it appears the prices are still fairly crazy these days.
    You can get an i5-6500 from CEX for 125eur
    https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=scpuinti56500ka&categoryName=processors-intel&superCatName=computing&title=intel-core-i5-6500-%283.2ghz%29-lga-1151

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Watch building guides on YouTube. Some really good ones out there.

Just not ones made by The Verge!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Venom wrote: »

How can any one listen to that gobshíte?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

[ Youtube video of some **** here ]

Thanks for that. Now I'm angry. **** sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Lyle is generally grand but that video is annoying as feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Can someone recommend a laptop within Ireland for general browsing and office use.

300 euro budget.

Thanks

There'd be plenty of options in PC World/Currys.

• Advertisement

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a laptop within Ireland for general browsing and office use.

300 euro budget.

Thanks

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon
    https://www.adverts.ie/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-carbon-x1-first-gen/16302539

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If you don't mind going second hand, take a look at cex website. Bought a Dell latitude e5570 with i5 6th generation, 8gb ddr4 ram and 128gb M2 ssd the other day for 295.

Not a mark on it, B grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

2lml7us.jpg

This happens now and again, frustrating when flight simming, I tried new sticks of ram and still no joy, sometimes it just does it randomly, my suspicions are a dying 2500k that’s 7 years old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nibs05 wrote: »
    This happens now and again, frustrating when flight simming, I tried new sticks of ram and still no joy, sometimes it just does it randomly, my suspicions are a dying 2500k that’s 7 years old :(

CPU's either work or are dead in my experience, and old age as defined by a normal consumer lifespan occurs long before failure would occur from the CPU aging. I would guess its a Mobo, RAM, HD or other issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Inquitus wrote: »
    CPU's either work or are dead in my experience, and old age as defined by a normal consumer lifespan occurs long before failure would occur from the CPU aging. I would guess its a Mobo, RAM, HD or other issue.

Interesting, maybe thats my excuse to upgrade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im tempted to get a Corsair ONE PRO Plus PC with the 1080ti rather than building a PC.

Am I mad?

One of my reasoning is I find it hard to get the time to buy all the parts and then build it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If you've the extra money, go for it.

It's a waste obviously, but it's not terrible value.

Headshot wrote: »
    Im tempted to get a Corsair ONE PRO Plus PC with the 1080ti rather than building a PC.

Am I mad?

One of my reasoning is I find it hard to get the time to buy all the parts and then build it

You're not mad, you're lazy :pac:
    The difference between the Corsair One & an apples-to-apples self build is enough to get a G-Sync monitor.
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/v8DWKB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

How much would I get roughly for my MSI AERO GTX 1070 (Reference style cooler), very little usage on it

Inviere wrote: »
    How much would I get roughly for my MSI AERO GTX 1070 (Reference style cooler), very little usage on it

260-280 or so; there's a glut of non-reference 1070s on Adverts for 300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You're not mad, you're lazy :pac:
    The difference between the Corsair One & an apples-to-apples self build is enough to get a G-Sync monitor.
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/v8DWKB

ugh bloody hell.

It's a big jump aint it

I may need your help down the line with building a new pc and what parts to get lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Has anyone got a recommendation for a MB for a Ryzen 5 1600?

Have a Gigabyte Aorus X370 K5 that I'm getting RMAed, if there's a better alternative around the same price point (about €150), I'm all ears. I'm not tied to X370, I'll consider a good B350 too.

scanlant wrote: »
    Has anyone got a recommendation for a MB for a Ryzen 5 1600?

Have a Gigabyte Aorus X370 K5 that I'm getting RMAed, if there's a better alternative around the same price point (about €150), I'm all ears. I'm not tied to X370, I'll consider a good B350 too.
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3131-the-best-amd-ryzen-motherboards-for-overclocking-x370-b350

You might also want to look at MSI's B450/X470 range; Buildzoid likes their mid-high range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

thinking to get a Synology 4 bays NAS, does anyone use it here? Can anyone talk about these Synology products in general. Some of them have great write/download speed and the price seems to be justified as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3131-the-best-amd-ryzen-motherboards-for-overclocking-x370-b350

You might also want to look at MSI's B450/X470 range; Buildzoid likes their mid-high range.

I've spent a good bit of time looking at those Buildzoid videos, there's a lot to take in and they're great videos.
    Also looked at the MSI X470 range, settled on the Gaming Pro Carbon board and I'm also considering the Gigabyte X370 K7 board. I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte because of the post code LEDs and dual BIOS. I'll have a think over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

seraphimvc wrote: »
    thinking to get a Synology 4 bays NAS, does anyone use it here? Can anyone talk about these Synology products in general. Some of them have great write/download speed and the price seems to be justified as well.

I have a 5 bay version. So far very happy with it its currently online for over 3 months uninterrupted.

The setup is super easy. The software is very good. Really like the cloud sync app.

I just have hard drives in them, as I found the SSD cache slowed it down. It mostly limited by the network connection if you populate 3 or 4 drive bays. The speed is very good both the read and write. More expensive than a unraid or freenas build but a lot neater, and likely reliable as its less complex.

Temperatures are good, but it can be a bit loud. Not for having right beside you on the desk if you sensitive to noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

seraphimvc wrote: »

Depends on your use case.

If a Syn box itself dies you can be in for a world of hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Has anyone used Tcsunbow ssd's, are they worth buying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Might be worth a pop. I wouldn't go dropping important files on it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement