Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tadcan wrote: »
    Has anyone used Tcsunbow ssd's are they worth buying?

I can't find a single professional review for them, so you're on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They're probably left over USB2 sticks glued together. Some of the reviews complains that they only read/write at a bit over 250MB/s. That's actually pretty good. I might pick up a 60/120GB one out of curiosity and see how long it lasts in an office computer but no way would I trust it with anything important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not sure I'd personally bother when a tenner more gets you a somewhat reliable Kingston....and I'd say the warranty/customer service would be less than brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

tadcan wrote: »
    Has anyone used Tcsunbow ssd's, are they worth buying?

In the reviews someone has tested the speed and was not happy, would avoid.

TzuEh1B.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Interesting. Google's launching a technical test for it's game streaming service on the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow Intel Core i7-8700K is 469.99 pounds now

jaw dropping prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Headshot wrote: »
    wow Intel Core i7-8700K is 469.99 pounds now

jaw dropping prices

Only £429.99 on Amazon pacman.gif

It seems the discount that's been on those chips since June and dropped the price down to the £330ish mark, is no longer being applied. My guess is it's due to the soon to be launched 9th series of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

I was looking for an i7 6700k to replace an i5 6600k and they’re still very expensive where I could see them

Inviere wrote: »
    I was looking for an i7 6700k to replace an i5 6600k and they’re still very expensive where I could see them
    Probably because they're from the period where every Intel update required a new motherboard.
    You end up with less used stock as fewer people upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Venom wrote: »
    Only £429.99 on Amazon pacman.gif

It seems the discount that's been on those chips since June and dropped the price down to the £330ish mark, is no longer being applied. My guess is it's due to the soon to be launched 9th series of chips.

Peeeffftttt....thats nothing

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/processors/intel-core-i7-8700k-unlocked-processor-10177581-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

any good deals on PSU's around?

I'm curious to see if they can beat the 8700k single thread. A few people on reddit who do chip design think the ringbus architecture was pushing it at 6 cores.

OSI wrote: »
    What happened to AMD being competitive again and driving down prices :confused:

Think I paid £300 for my 8700K and that was in January when they were still the "hot item".

Seem's there is a huge shortage of 8th gen CPU's at the moment which is why the price has jumped up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nice to see Intel removing hyperthreading is now confirmed on the i7s....

Nice to see Intel removing hyperthreading is now confirmed on the i7s....

It makes them lighter so they run faster pacman.gif

Think I paid £300 for my 8700K and that was in January when they were still the "hot item".

I think you missed the part where you can still buy an AMD 8-core with hyperthreading for £200-250.

• Advertisement

We know a couple of things.

AMD's Ryzen, Threadripper and EYPC design is really efficient to produce.
    Intel currently is noticeably unable to meet market demand, even from first tier OEM's on lower margin products(low end laptops/desktops).
    x86 cpu's are not exactly a massive growth market, if we sold considerably more chips recently you would know about it.
    Intel are clearly loosing a lot of market share and product volume in the last 18 months.

So its fair to assume that Intel has shifted its focus to lower volume higher margin products in its manufacturing facilities to keep its revenue numbers up. I don't think they can compete with AMD on price and I think they have copped that too.

Launch prices for Intel 9th Gen are a tad on the high side

i5 9600k - £349.99 or €398.84
    i7 9700k - £499.99 or €569.77
    i9 9900k - £599.99 or €683.73

I'm definitely going with AMD for my next build.

specs on the 9900k are very interesting could be a beast but needs to overclock to 5.5. Wonder if the IHS is better at dissipating heat than the 8700k

specs on the 9900k are very interesting could be a beast but needs to overclock to 5.5. Wonder if the IHS is better at dissipating heat than the 8700k

The 9th gen chips are soldered so heat dissipating should be better than 8th gen cpu's but I don't see 5.5 mhz overclocks happening as having 2 extra cores over the previous generation, will make hitting that mark much harder than the 6 core chips. My guess is somewhere around the 5.0-5.1 mark will be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Wow, those new intel CPU prices are pretty high over here, €400 for i5 9600k.
    It does make the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X a LOT more appealing... 6/6 vs 8/16 and cheaper!

This video makes me irrationally angry.

The 9th gen chips are soldered so heat dissipating should be better than 8th gen cpu's but I don't see 5.5 mhz overclocks happening as having 2 extra cores over the previous generation, will make hitting that mark much harder than the 6 core chips. My guess is somewhere around the 5.0-5.1 mark will be the norm.

your probably right, better to delid the 8700k and get 5ghz easy and 5.1 at a push.

your probably right, better to delid the 8700k and get 5ghz easy and 5.1 at a push.

No way to really know until the new chips are put through the benchmark ringer but considering the huge price increase over the 8th gen chips nevermind the 2700X, I reckon your right.

Also, Intel got caught pushing dodgy benchmarks yet again.

• Advertisement

Anyone reccomend a good delid kit, I would like a kit where you get everything together...would love to do a delid myself looks like a lot of "scary" fun. Some people getting big thermal improvement on 8700k like -20 degrees. I have a good chip that will get to 5.1 @ 1.36 volts but it runs really hot there in the 90's so not happy run it there long term.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement