Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Anyone reccomend a good delid kit, I would like a kit where you get everything together...would love to do a delid myself looks like a lot of "scary" fun. Some people getting big thermal improvement on 8700k like -20 degrees. I have a good chip that will get to 5.1 @ 1.36 volts but it runs really hot there in the 90's so not happy run it there long term.

I bought a deBauer to delid my 6700K and use Cool Laboratory Ultra Liquid metal between the Die and IHS and between the IHS and the copper baseplate of my Corsair H110iGT AIO cooler. I scraped off all the black silicone adhesive from the PCB and IHS and did not replace it when putting the CPU back together. The Socket clamp keeps the IHS tight and in place. You just need to hold the IHS in position with a finger when clamping down with the socket lever to make sure the IHS doesn't shift back out of position. Apparently half the temp differential that comes from delidding is because the intel applied black silicone adhesive puts more distance between the die and IHS requiring a thicker layer of Thermal paste from the factory.

Also replaced the Thermal Paste with Liquid metal between my Pascal Die and copper baseplate of the heatsink on my palit Super Jetstream GTX1080. Made a little Dyke around the Pascal Die with regular thermal paste to stop any liquid metal leaking off the die and shorting nearby resistors or VRM's or whatever they are. (Don't need to do this on the 6700K because there are no other surface mounted components near the Die under the IHS on Skylake (not sure about later Gen Intel CPU's ))

NB. Liquid Metal will dissolve Aluminium so can only be used between Copper or nickle plated copper components.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Could anyone offer a ballpark value on a Asus P6X58D-E mobo? They seem to be on ebay at crazy prices considering the age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

circadian wrote: »
    Could anyone offer a ballpark value on a Asus P6X58D-E mobo? They seem to be on ebay at crazy prices considering the age.

X58 boards hold their value as they are absolute beasts which can take Xeon 6 core chips that can be gotten fairly cheap on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fúck my life.

My ML140 Pro fans arrived, got them installed.
    Play 1 round of Overwatch, realise 1 fan is loud, so I figured it needs more power.
    Turn off PC (Update-Shutdown), remove 4-pin splitter, plug fans into separate headers.

PC won't turn back on :(

I've tried a paperclip test so that rules out the PSU.
    What the utter balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You sure that header was a fan header?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You sure that header was a fan header?

Yes.
    Just to be safe, I've ordered an EVGA GQ 850W and will troubleshoot with that (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Hrrm. Out of interest lads, what do you reckon the going rate is on the following as a bundle?

Asrock p67 pro3
    2500k with a hyper 212 evo
    16gb (2×8) of 1600 MHz DDR3 ram
    An MSI GTX 970

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

On a whim, since I've never built an AMD system, and I've built a couple of intel internet PC's, here is a fantasy AMD internet build. All parts are from Amazon. Thoughts?

Athlon 200ge, £60.39

ASrock A320M-HDV, £41.99

Qumox 8GB memmory

Kingston 480GB SSD, £69.52

Corsair CP-9020095-UK, £29.99

Aerocool QS240, £31.99

Total £300.88 + PP

tadcan wrote: »
    On a whim, since I've never built an AMD system, and I've built a couple of intel internet PC's, here is a fantasy AMD internet build. All parts are from Amazon. Thoughts?

Athlon 200ge, £60.39

ASrock A320M-HDV, £41.99

Qumox 8GB memmory

Kingston 480GB SSD, £69.52

Aerocool QS240, £31.99

Total £300.88 + PP
    Doesn't have a PSU.
    Never heard of Qumox.
    This Game Max Explorer looks a lot better for the same price (needs 2x fans though)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Doesn't have a PSU.
    Never heard of Qumox.
    This Game Max Explorer looks a lot better for the same price (needs 2x fans though)

Actually had a PSU in the list, just missed it for some reason. Found a more reliable company for memory.

Crucial 8GB, £65.25

It is a bit more, but I am impartial to the simplicity of Fractal Design, £36.95

• Advertisement

Steve from Gamersnexus interviews the owner of Principled Technologies, the company that produced the shady as hell Intel 9900K vs. AMD 2700X benchmarks. The guy's reasons for all crazy decisions on how poorly the AMD system was configured is some top level of bs.

At best the PT guy seems to be out of touch with current benchmarking standards.

tadcan wrote: »
    At best the PT guy seems to be out of touch with current benchmarking standards.

If it was just one or two setting's or component choices that led to the AMD system having such a poor showing, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but when its so many critical elements that will 100% produce poor 2700X performance I find it hard to take their explanation at face value.

I've recently bought a massive 4k telly and love it. Obviously, this has made me have notions of gaming at 4k. I currently have a 2k monitor which is nice but I'd love to upgrade to a 27"+ screen with 4k.

The only problem is cost. Jaysus it's eye watering looking at the costing to hit 4k at a consistent 60FPS. The consoles are doing well in providing 4K gaming at a reasonable price but it seems like it'll be years yet that I'll be able to bang together a half decent machine capable of it for around 500/600 quid.

I've recently bought a massive 4k telly and love it. Obviously, this has made me have notions of gaming at 4k. I currently have a 2k monitor which is nice but I'd love to upgrade to a 27"+ screen with 4k.

The only problem is cost. Jaysus it's eye watering looking at the costing to hit 4k at a consistent 60FPS. The consoles are doing well in providing 4K gaming at a reasonable price but it seems like it'll be years yet that I'll be able to bang together a half decent machine capable of it for around 500/600 quid.
    The consoles cheat; most games are running at sub-1440p with upscaling.

And 4K is possible if you turn settings down. Digital Foundry ran a series on getting 4K out of a GTX 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And 4K is possible if you turn settings down. Digital Foundry ran a series on getting 4K out of a GTX 970.

When you say this, how do you know what's the optimal settings for each game for your own set up?

I was in Overwatch yesterday messing around and everything seemed to be turned up to the top? Will the game automatically assign the best settings?

OSI wrote: »
    If you have an Nvidia card the Geforce Experience app has an option to set optimal settings for each game that supports it, which seems to be most. I don't know if they crowd source the data or run the benchmarks themselves but I've always found it pretty good.

Yea I have that actually, I clicked into that over the weekend when I was setting everything up but I had no games downloaded at that stage.

Does it just pick the best balance between graphics and frame rates?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For the likes of overwatch you might aswell try and hit 144fps since you got a 144hz monitor if I'm not mistaken. I think it should be well doable with a 1060.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    For the likes of overwatch you might aswell try and hit 144fps since you got a 144hz monitor if I'm not mistaken. I think it should be well doable with a 1060.

The counter top left was saying 144fps when I was in the training range and playing against AI. That'll probably drop when I'm in the quick play though.

Overclockers - Your Phanteks Evolv X has shipped.

Me -

22sdpt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The problem is that people look at the Xbox One X and think hassle free 4K gaming for €500....and then feel the equivalent PC is three times that. However, it's more of a myth than anything as you're comparing apples and oranges.

With the PS4 Pro and One X, games are locked to low framerates, running at upscaled 1080p/1440p (or dynamic resolution), reduced detail settings/draw distances, or whatever, to get them over the line. They still look grand, especially ones heavily tailored to the systems strengths/weaknesses (think Halo 5, Spiderman, God of War) but broadly speaking a solid €700 PC (Ryzen 1200 + RX580) would very easily trump either console, especially in framerate - big problem with both consoles is their super weak CPUs, which is why so many games have a 30fps lock.

Take something like Fallout 4 on PS4 Pro - 1440p, medium graphics option equivalent, runs at 20-30fps. A PC with a Ryzen 1200 + RX580 would be 1440p, high/ultra, 60fps. Similar can be said for most top open world multi-plat games which tend to struggle on console - Battlefield 1, Kingdom Come, Fallout, etc.

When people talk about 4K gaming PC's they're typically talking true 4K resolution, high/max quality settings, and 60fps. If you want a gaming PC just to match the consoles, it can be done for not much more than the Xbox One X, as long as you understand the difference between the different concepts of 4K gaming.

As for Overwatch....depends on the card you have but if it's something like GTX1060 level, 1440p ultra @ around 100fps should be easily doable, or 4K medium 60fps. I play on PS4 Pro and PC and the PS4 Pro version looks similar to the PC version at 1080p medium settings @ 60fps. Apparently the Xbox One X version is much better but no plans to get it on a 3rd platform!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

L wrote: »
    Hrrm. Out of interest lads, what do you reckon the going rate is on the following as a bundle?

ASRock P67 Pro3
    2500k with a hyper 212 evo
    16gb (2×8) of 1600 MHz DDR3 ram
    An MSI GTX 970

Nobody? For context, I passed this on to a mate after upgrading and I'm trying to work out if I overcharged him (and should maybe look at giving him some cash back) or gave him a decent enough deal. :/

The problem is that people look at the Xbox One X and think hassle free 4K gaming for €500....and then feel the equivalent PC is three times that. However, it's more of a myth than anything as you're comparing apples and oranges.

With the PS4 Pro and One X, games are locked to low framerates, running at upscaled 1080p/1440p (or dynamic resolution), reduced detail settings/draw distances, or whatever, to get them over the line. They still look grand, especially ones heavily tailored to the systems strengths/weaknesses (think Halo 5, Spiderman, God of War) but broadly speaking a solid €700 PC (Ryzen 1200 + RX580) would very easily trump either console, especially in framerate - big problem with both consoles is their super weak CPUs, which is why so many games have a 30fps lock.

Take something like Fallout 4 on PS4 Pro - 1440p, medium graphics option equivalent, runs at 20-30fps. A PC with a Ryzen 1200 + RX580 would be 1440p, high/ultra, 60fps. Similar can be said for most top open world multi-plat games which tend to struggle on console - Battlefield 1, Kingdom Come, Fallout, etc.

When people talk about 4K gaming PC's they're typically talking true 4K resolution, high/max quality settings, and 60fps. If you want a gaming PC just to match the consoles, it can be done for not much more than the Xbox One X, as long as you understand the difference between the different concepts of 4K gaming.

As for Overwatch....depends on the card you have but if it's something like GTX1060 level, 1440p ultra @ around 100fps should be easily doable, or 4K medium 60fps. I play on PS4 Pro and PC and the PS4 Pro version looks similar to the PC version at 1080p medium settings @ 60fps. Apparently the Xbox One X version is much better but no plans to get it on a 3rd platform!

That's a great post, thanks! Yeah, I personally want to be able to do pure 4K HDR gaming on pc and understand the limitations of consoles. The biggest problem with consoles for me is that this generation must be near the end of its life cycle, why anyone would pay around €500 for one when a new generation is surely a year or two away.

Edit: to add, does anyone have any idea how AMD will respond to the RTX cards? It seems they were rushed, surely Nvidia must know AMD have something big lined up and wanted to get the jump on them.

That's a great post, thanks! Yeah, I personally want to be able to do pure 4K HDR gaming on pc and understand the limitations of consoles. The biggest problem with consoles for me is that this generation must be near the end of its life cycle, why anyone would pay around €500 for one when a new generation is surely a year or two away.

Edit: to add, does anyone have any idea how AMD will respond to the RTX cards? It seems they were rushed, surely Nvidia must know AMD have something big lined up and wanted to get the jump on them.

The new PlayStation probably won't be out until 2020 at the earliest but more likely 2021.

There's been a few deals this week on the X with Assassin's Creed Odyssey, FIFA 19 and Forza Horizon 4 for €450 or that (could have been even cheaper)

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The new PlayStation probably won't be out until 2020 at the earliest but more likely 2021.

There's been a few deals this week on the X with Assassin's Creed Odyssey, FIFA 19 and Forza Horizon 4 for €450 or that (could have been even cheaper)

It's nearly 2019! 2020/2021 is only around the corner.

This is when I wonder where yet another year has gone :pac:

It's nearly 2019! 2020/2021 is only around the corner.

This is when I wonder where yet another year has gone :pac:

It won't release until winter 2020 at the very earliest. That's two years away.

cough*TheVerge*cough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

cough*TheVerge*cough

He seemed to take the piss out of the tweezer / zip tie thing from the other vid.

Inquitus wrote: »
    He seemed to take the piss out of the tweezer / zip tie thing from the other vid.

Also had 6 tubes of thermal paste on the table.

• Advertisement

Update from Gamer Nexus about intel and PT. https://youtu.be/CL-JFh9BzH8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement