Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

AdoredTV's take on the Intel testing scandal and some history on some of their previous antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Just noticed this deal for a 1070 on HotUKDeals

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVZBNY0

Anyone here ever order from Amazon America? It says that import fees and shipping are added but would we still get screwed with other fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The import fees get added at checkout. If you get charged again, you can complain to amazon/customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

xtal191 wrote: »
    Just noticed this deal for a 1070 on HotUKDeals

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVZBNY0

Anyone here ever order from Amazon America? It says that import fees and shipping are added but would we still get screwed with other fees?

I got a 256GB memory card for the switch. The customs and import duty is included in the price at checkout but if they end up being more they cover it and if it's less they'll refund you the difference.

Took about 10 working days with free shipping and I order in December so obviously a very busy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£149.99)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For £0.00)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Performer C + LNC 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For €0.00)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£91.43 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For £0.00)
    Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 480GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£104.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 640GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
    Video Card: Palit - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Super JetStream Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase Pro 3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case Fan: Corsair - ML140 Pro LED (Red) 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case Fan: Corsair - ML140 Pro LED (Red) 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.8 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For £0.00)
    Other: Noctua NM-AM4-UXS Mounting Kit (£6.49)
    Other: NZXT Kraken G12 (Purchased)
    Other: Noctua NA-FC1 Fan Controller (£15.95)
    Total: £368.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-14 18:29 BST+0100

Sanity check, please.

Also, *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Two SSDs and two HDDs?

Serephucus wrote: »
    Two SSDs and two HDDs?

The Mortar mobo supports 2x M2 and 4x SATA, so I figured I may as well get an M2 drive for OS & frequent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

together?

Skerries wrote: »
    together?

game4it70 was able to point me to a replacement GA-X99M-Gaming 5 for £120 on Overclockers so I've gone with that :)

If that fixes everything, I might still get the SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

New GTX 2070 review from Gamer Nexus.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPombfzp7qwhttp://

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there is no value any more in gpu's as before you would get a new card that is several generations newer and be double the speed for the same price now whereas you now get this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

quick one lads - where would i get a cheap cheap temporary cpu cooler for my 8600k? Was transferring from one case to another last night and spent hours fighting with the dark rock 3 cooler. then just gave up as it wasn't cooperating and the little c spacers weren't cooperating and just couldn't get a secure fit.

Decided i'd get something temporary to get me through til next week while I order something decent. Naturally don't want to power on the pc without a cooler :P

Any bricks n mortar stores carry anything? Or has anyone a stock intel cooler that might do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Stock cooler would work, I'm sure someone in Dublin would have one on adverts, or someone here has one lying around collecting dust.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Stock cooler would work, I'm sure someone in Dublin would have one on adverts, or someone here has one lying around collecting dust.

Would old Intel stock coolers from previous socket boards (X58) fit as if so I think I might have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Venom wrote: »
    Would old Intel stock coolers from previous socket boards (X58) fit as if so I think I might have some.

The X58 is LGA 1366, and only LGA 11XX coolers are interchangeable. So as far as I'm aware, it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I've a Noctua NH-U14S on the way, so should hopefully have it by Saturday.. will kill me inside thought having a half assembled PC sitting in the living room!! [girlfriend will kill me] :P

Thanks lads! If anyone does find one of the LGA 11xx stock coolers in the mean time though, do let me know and i'll take it!

Is the Vega 56 a good buy at £350?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-red-dragon-8gb-hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-193-pc.html

Also what do you think I'd get for a Gigabyte 290x?

So what's the general consensus on the Noctua Chromax NF A14 PWM fans? Thinking of picking up a 3 pack to replace the standard case ones I currently have.

Venom wrote: »
    So what's the general consensus on the Noctua Chromax NF A14 PWM fans? Thinking of picking up a 3 pack to replace the standard case ones I currently have.

Possibly the best you can buy.

Is the Vega 56 a good buy at £350?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-red-dragon-8gb-hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-193-pc.html

Also what do you think I'd get for a Gigabyte 290x?
    Pretty good value, and there's no better AMD cards anyway.
    You can still get at least 130-180 for a 290x

• Advertisement

B-stock GA-X99M-Gaming 5 motherboard has revived my PC :)

Now the only question is, what to do with the old mobo?
    Sell for cheap, or try to get it repaired first?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Is there any interest anymore in building off the x299 boards? Or is there any place that would buy or trade one for something else? I got one, but have no need for it, and no takers so far on the usual buy/sell/trade sites, so just wondering if it is something people would not really use for typical builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Barti wrote: »
    Is there any interest anymore in building off the x299 boards? Or is there any place that would buy or trade one for something else? I got one, but have no need for it, and no takers so far on the usual buy/sell/trade sites, so just wondering if it is something people would not really use for typical builds.

In the enthusiast world, x299 has been steam rolled by AMD and even without that, very few people buy that platform due to the cost.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Pretty good value, and there's no better AMD cards anyway.
    You can still get at least 130-180 for a 290x

Hmm with the 10% off ebay UK today, would you go for the Vega 56 for £360 delivered or a 1070ti/1080 from ebay for a similar price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd get the 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

circadian wrote: »
    I'd get the 1080.

Debating between a 1080 or a Vega 64.

Throughout all the RTX2070 reviews during the week, I couldn't help but notice the Vega 64 was very close to the 1080 and 2070 in most tests (I was looking at 2560x1440 mostly).

If I thought the Vega 64 was that good, it would mean I could get a FreeSync monitor rather than GSync and potentially save a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hmm with the 10% off ebay UK today, would you go for the Vega 56 for £360 delivered or a 1070ti/1080 from ebay for a similar price?

Well at that price the Vega 56 would be new (with 3 new release games), I can't imagine you're getting a 1080 for anything less than about £460 new?

Big problem with Vega 56 is that it needs a much beefier power supply as it eats up a lot more power.

Yeah the 1080 is refurbished but slightly cheaper than the Vega 56 and the 1070 TI is the same price as the Vega. Kinda leaning towards the 56 cause I'll more than likely be getting a new 1440p monitor soon enough and freesync is a hell of lot cheaper.

Well at that price the Vega 56 would be new (with 3 new release games), I can't imagine you're getting a 1080 for anything less than about £460 new?

Big problem with Vega 56 is that it needs a much beefier power supply as it eats up a lot more power.

Undervolted Vega 56 is grand.
    A full system shouldn't draw more than 400W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Wow the new Intel cpus are hot as f***.
    Vid is well worth a view to see what he does to try and reduce the temps :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement