Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't think its just the TIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I don't think its just the TIM.

Aye, spoiler warning, the silicon is really thick this time around. Die lapping by -0.2mm shaved 13degreesC off the stock temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Venom wrote: »
    The 9th gen chips are soldered so heat dissipating should be better than 8th gen cpu's but I don't see 5.5 mhz overclocks happening as having 2 extra cores over the previous generation, will make hitting that mark much harder than the 6 core chips. My guess is somewhere around the 5.0-5.1 mark will be the norm.

Fcuking called it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Anyone recommend a good PSU for around €100?
    Will be powering an i5 2500k, Asus maximus V gene, GTX 670
    2 SSDs and 2 HDDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Burgo wrote: »
    2 SSDs and 2 HDDs.

https://www.adverts.ie/power-supply-units/corsair-rm750-80-plus-gold-quiet-fully-modular-power-supply-professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit/16531138

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Burgo wrote: »
    2 SSDs and 2 HDDs.

I got one of these recently to replace my sons broken psu.
    Great brand and 10 year warranty.
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-seasonic-focus-plus-gold-full-modular-80plus-gold-sli-crossfire-single-rail-54a-120mm-fan-atx-p

game4it70 wrote: »
    I got one of these recently to replace my sons broken psu.
    Great brand and 10 year warranty.
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-seasonic-focus-plus-gold-full-modular-80plus-gold-sli-crossfire-single-rail-54a-120mm-fan-atx-p

The Seasonic Focus+ line is top level stuff and very highly rated on serious tech review sites like Jonnyguru.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Intel claims 10nm still on target for 2019 despite rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

tadcan wrote: »
    Intel claims 10nm still on target for 2019 despite rumours.

Intel...struggling with 10nm...but AMD will wow us with 7nm next year....yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Upgraded an I5 4440 to an I7 4790 and now my system is acting a bit odd.
    Playing Doom the other night, it crashed leaving a red screen and loud static noise.
    Did a hard reset and all seemed fine
    Powered on this evening and there was flickers across the screen.

Do I need to keep an eye out for a new PSU ? or could it be a cooler issue ?
    There is a 500watt powering everything at the moment.
    Cooler is a 120mm AIO
    GPU is an rx480 8gb on factory settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Intel...struggling with 10nm...but AMD will wow us with 7nm next year....yeah right.

Let's wait and see. A couple of years ago Ryzen would have seemed like wishful thinking too.

AMD and Intel are in completely different market positions at the moment. I could see AMD being willing to accept tradeoffs that Intel can't.

Intel's crown means they have to prioritize reliability or suffer reputational damage - high failure rates and chip infant mortality problems aren't really an option for them.

In contrast, AMD can skate a lot closer to the wire since they've less to lose (and what would be a failure for Intel would still be a gain for them).

Its TSMC's 7nm, not AMD's. And its up and producing chips in volume. Because of the mobile market, Intel has lost the process node lead they held for years. And 10nm was meant to go live this year, not some time in 2019.

That's a pretty significant problem for Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

will56 wrote: »
    Upgraded an I5 4440 to an I7 4790 and now my system is acting a bit odd.
    Playing Doom the other night, it crashed leaving a red screen and loud static noise.
    Did a hard reset and all seemed fine
    Powered on this evening and there was flickers across the screen.

Do I need to keep an eye out for a new PSU ? or could it be a cooler issue ?
    There is a 500watt powering everything at the moment.
    Cooler is a 120mm AIO
    GPU is an rx480 8gb on factory settings

Monitor your temps to check if the cooler is mounted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Monitor your temps to check if the cooler is mounted correctly.

Idling at 38/40 Degrees.

Is it more likely to be an overheating issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

will56 wrote: »
    Idling at 38/40 Degrees.

Is it more likely to be an overheating issue ?

Can't tell without having a result from CPU under stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its TSMC's 7nm, not AMD's. And its up and producing chips in volume. Because of the mobile market, Intel has lost the process node lead they held for years. And 10nm was meant to go live this year, not some time in 2019.

That's a pretty significant problem for Intel.

Mobile chips are small and the yield is great, AMD have to produce big chips, multi-core monsters. AMD's brute force through core count approach to Ryzen may not scale down so well, and whatever GPU chips they order may have yield problems too. I think al lot of the problems we are having at the moment are due to the simple fact its getting harder and harder to increase complexity, reduce costs and decrease process size. Its physics and AMD are no more immune to the issues than intel, TSMC have no magic sauce to improve yield, and I am sure AMD customers will not accept increase in cost to balance that.

Mobile chips are small and the yield is great, AMD have to produce big chips, multi-core monsters. AMD's brute force through core count approach to Ryzen may not scale down so well, and whatever GPU chips they order may have yield problems too. I think al lot of the problems we are having at the moment are due to the simple fact its getting harder and harder to increase complexity, reduce costs and decrease process size. Its physics and AMD are no more immune to the issues than intel, TSMC have no magic sauce to improve yield, and I am sure AMD customers will not accept increase in cost to balance that.

AMD makes very small chips, 44mm2 I believe. Zen+ might be smaller. That was the main point of Zeplin, make small power efficient 4 cores and put them on a interposer.

In comparison to the 9900k, at 355.52mm.

AMD makes very small chips, 44mm2 I believe. Zen+ might be smaller. That was the main point of Zeplin, make small power efficient 4 cores and put them on a interposer.

In comparison to the 9900k, at 355.52mm.

This ^^^.

https://www.techpowerup.com/235092/intel-says-amd-epyc-processors-glued-together-in-official-slide-deck

This stacking or "glueing" is what Intel tried to mock AMD over when the EPYC and RYZEN lines were launched until it turned out to be a really smart and efficient way of doing things. AMD can just stack modules togeather and could make a 2800X 12/24 chip with ease unlike Intel who has had a terrible time moving up to 6/12 and 8/16.

Also more upgrading fun

fans_zps1brmekbn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Nice! those fans are on my list of upgrades

• Advertisement

kevovek wrote: »
    Nice! those fans are on my list of upgrades

One thing to be aware of is you don't get enough of the coloured anti-vibration clips to do an entire fan in a particular colour as you only get 4 of each colour pieces per box which is a big crap considering the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

One thing to be aware of is you don't get enough of the coloured anti-vibration clips to do an entire fan in a particular colour as you only get 4 of each colour pieces per box which is a big crap considering the price.

Why would you want the same colour on both sides? One is going to be against the inside of the case. Just use one of the neutral colours on the inside like black or white.

Edit: I can see a point if you are mounting them on the heatsink

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Also more upgrading fun

fans_zps1brmekbn.jpg

How are they for noise? My Corsair ML140 sound really loud as they blow 100%

@TitianGerm. Why are you not controlling them via PWM in your BIOS?

@TitianGerm. Why are you not controlling them via PWM in your BIOS?

I'm new to PCs and had a bit of trouble at the start with my PC not booting correctly so I didn't to be messing around with stuff :pac:

Easy to do. Look at the HW Monitoring in your BIOS settings and set them to PWM control. What mobo do you have again?

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Why would you want the same colour on both sides? One is going to be against the inside of the case. Just use one of the neutral colours on the inside like black or white.

Edit: I can see a point if you are mounting them on the heatsink

I was planning on using the black clips where the fans are screwed to the case and red clips facing into the chassis. But if you were really working on a design theme or using them as a cooler fan it would kinda suck. The Noctua round fan chromax replacements for their own coolers seem to come with 8 of each colour.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How are they for noise? My Corsair ML140 sound really loud as they blow 100%

Not installed them yet as waiting on some fan dual fan header extensions to arrive. As Grahamer72 posted, its best to use the PWM fan curve settings in bios to control case and CPU fans but there could be a windows programme from you board manufacturer that would do a similar job.

Easy to do. Look at the HW Monitoring in your BIOS settings and set them to PWM control. What mobo do you have again?

ASRock AB350 Pro4.

Mine's an Asrock Z370 so should be similar. I'd go mad at 100% constant fan speed. :pac:

• Advertisement

Mine's an Asrock Z370 so should be similar. I'd go mad at 100% constant fan speed. :pac:

I wear headphones so can't really hear it but it's a bit annoying when I'm not wearing them alright :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement