Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ok I changed the the two fans to the "silent" profile and it's made a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wish manufacturers would include an ambient temp sensor and probe that you could run outside the case. Be a lovely addition to graphing (in IPMI).

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Ok I changed the the two fans to the "silent" profile and it's made a huge difference.

If you do that Fan Tuning option then set them to Custom they will speed up and slow down according to temps of the CPU or GPU whichever one you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you do that Fan Tuning option then set them to Custom they will speed up and slow down according to temps of the CPU or GPU whichever one you choose.

Ok I'll try that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys what's Scan.co.uk like for ordering computer parts?

Im normally an amazon man as I fine they customer support superb but if scan can offer the same level of customer care I would be consider moving to them

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

Im normally an amazon man as I fine they customer support superb but if scan can offer the same level of customer care I would be consider moving to them

They are really good. Of course shipping is going to cost you €12 but you'll get it in two days with DPD. Have ordered loads of stuff off them with no problems.

They are really good. Of course shipping is going to cost you €12 but you'll get it in two days with DPD. Have ordered loads of stuff off them with no problems.

Thanks for the feedback. I canceled the order with Amazon and went with scan
    Im saving a 100 euro on it

I have another question that i'm hoping some can advice on

Im tempted to get a second hand Gigabyte GPU but I've heard mixed stuff about the warranty and 2nd hand items with gigabyte

Does anyone have experience with them? ie the transfers of warranty not transferrable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

I've used scan also for a few bits, no issues, quick dpd delivery.

Haven't used their customer service but nobody can match Amazon's cs.

Second hand gigabyte stuff I've read could be an issue, have a read off of https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/gigabyte-gpu-warranty.18835256/

My home server was Scan, no issues.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Scan are very good. I usually check Amazon, then Scan, then Komplett.

Scan are sometimes faster delivery than Amazon on some larger items (like monitors) where Amazon won't offer full Prime shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

What would be a decent price to pay for a second hand 1070 in the current climate? Or is it worth waiting for people to start selling them to fund 2070s etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jebidiah wrote: »
    What would be a decent price to pay for a second hand 1070 in the current climate? Or is it worth waiting for people to start selling them to fund 2070s etc?

People are now starting to sell them for 250-300 range. Try and score an EVGA still in decent warranty and you're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

Folks, has anyone got recommendations for a decent but keenly priced wireless keyboard & mouse set? I'm currently using a budget Logitech MK270 which at €30, certainly gets the job done...but it's prone to interference/lag being 2.4 Ghz. Perhaps a bluetooth set would work better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Inviere wrote: »
    ...but it's prone to interference/lag being 2.4 Ghz. Perhaps a bluetooth set would work better?
    Both technologies using same frequency

BT would actually be worse. Bespoke 2.4 RF devices just broadcast updates to the receiver, BT corrects for errors which causes a delay while both sides work out what did/didn't ge through. Good for transferring data, bad for latency.

2.4 will soon be unusable TBH.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

They are superb,ive used them for years.
    Most recently they built my new rig, sent me photos of every stage of the build every day including burn in test and performance results along after each stage of the build and testing phase.

Once completed it was shipped on a Tuesday and got to me Thursday.

I had a few questions over the following weekend and support got back to me promptly each time.

I cannot recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Where do most of you sell your old hardware? Is adverts the only real option? Never sold anything on ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ebay's a pain in the ass to sell I find and they take a percentage of the sale. Adverts is decent, if you can ignore the utter timewasters who at this stage I'm convinced get some sort of sexual thrill out of it.

Just earlier I saw some guy justify a low-ball offer for an RX570 because the ball-bearings in the fan would have degraded over the years use by the owner.

If that's not high art trolling I don't know what is.

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/gaming-pc-i5-rx480/16597250

Buddy just picked this up for 350. Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

A new CPU exploit, Portsmash, has been made public.

Applies to Intel but may also apply to AMD chips (hasn't been demonstrated on AMD yet).

• Advertisement

So PS4 or Xbox one controller for PC?

i'm thinking of Xbox one controller as it's basically plug in play. I just need to get a bluetooth dongle for the wireless controller version

i'm thinking of Xbox one controller as it's basically plug in play. I just need to get a bluetooth dongle for the wireless controller version

Xbox, not only is it plug and play, it’s a better controller to boot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xbox or Switch Pro (the latter has phenomenal battery life AFAIK).

The only reason to have a PS4 pad is if you plan to emulate Zelda & need something with a gyro, and honestly it's a big hassle.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Xbox or Switch Pro (the latter has phenomenal battery life AFAIK).

The only reason to have a PS4 pad is if you plan to emulate Zelda & need something with a gyro, and honestly it's a big hassle.

Have they not implemented gyro controls via the Switch Pro controller yet no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I use xbox controller on PC despite never owning an xbox. Playstation all the way for me. I honestly have no preference for either one. They're both great controllers. Went for Xbox on pc for ease of use.

I use a DS4 but I wish I had an Xbox controller. DS4 works fine with steam but all the games show Xbox button prompts... Small thing that I am used to at this stage but I'd swap if I could.

Was considering a controller for a few games on PC, i won dark souls 3 recently in the board steam gifts group and believe it would be a better experience with a controller?
    Might be tempted to buy the latest fifa or pes once i get a decent controller but for everything else its mouse and KB all the way.

Definitely don't play DS3 with mouse/kb.

• Advertisement

Im scared enough of it as it is lol , havent even dared to install yet :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement