Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Serephucus wrote: »
    No way it can be 63 degrees. That's just stupid low. To be honest I'm not all that worried though. Even with an overclock, there isn't going to be that much of a bump from my 780. It really is just a noise thing. Main reason I'm thinking on waiting is with the 980 Ti (whatever) prices on the other cards should drop a bit.

... Anyone interested in a 780? :)

RE SC: I made the mistake of trying out a friend's X52 Pro HOTAS the other day... Might be my next purchase. He had pedals too, which actually help a surprising amount. With your hands worrying about less axis of movement, you tend to be able to do more complex things that bit easier.
    It's either 63 or 66 I forget. Lemme check. I know that's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Looks like you're right. It's not quite card throttling in the traditional sense, but it does seem that once the card gets to around 65 or so the voltage won't increase any further, and can drop slightly in certain cases too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RE SC: I made the mistake of trying out a friend's X52 Pro HOTAS the other day... Might be my next purchase. He had pedals too, which actually help a surprising amount. With your hands worrying about less axis of movement, you tend to be able to do more complex things that bit easier.

I have the Extreme 3DPro from Logitech, its one of the ones thats mapped by default and has just about enough buttons and a decent throttle so I dont need change it, yet. Pedals though are on the shopping list.

Then a full new rig so I can actually play the game *wallet cries*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Throttling at 66c would make no sense though. There are models available that the fans don't even spin until around that temp. Cards would be fine up into the 90's+ even if not ideal. Remember Sparkles 8800GT passive a few years back...hit over 105c under load, went the distance though!

According to a well informed friend of mine (he has the MSI model), it soft throttles at about 68 and hard throttles at 78.

It is low but nVidia has become extremely protective of user modding ability in recent years. Voltage control is not available on their cards anymore except for one or two specific models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I have a pair of SLI 970s (Gigabyte G1 gaming). They seem to click down by one frequency and voltage bin somewhere in the mid 60's. So that's a loss of 13 MHz on a card which I'm running around 1550 MHz overclocked. Less than 1% drop. And even with firestrike looping continuously the card temps are still only in the high 60's...never got anywhere near 78 degrees. When I run games in vsync and the cards aren't continuously maxed they run in the 40's to 50's.

Edit: all of the above is with stock cooling profile.

Can you do me a favour and cap the fans at around 1000RPM, and have a quick look at temps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Does anyone here run a capture of any kind? Just want to know what restrictions there are when running this kind of software ontop of playing games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Highest temp ive seen on the G1 is 62C,thats at 1506/1980 after playing a few hours of Arma 3. Ive been following the owners club on OC.net and the suggestion is throttling is going to start at 65C

There is something weird going on with the card,or more accurately the software im using to monitor/overclock it! Its not quite 100% game stable at that clock at current voltage(stock).Weirdly it can run benches like valley,firestrike all day and not a bother:( For some reason i cant get the voltage to increase using offset in AB. No matter what power limit and vcore offset are set to it wont use more that 1.218v. I havent had enough time to mess with it at christmas between getting elite dangerous and family commitments ive had very little time and what i have had has been spent on elite. Gpuz and HWInfo64 are giving different readings for core and memory clocks also. Im sure its literally the software that needs updating and the card is fine its just making it hard to find the overclocking sweet spot and lock it down. Im positive 1505/2000 24/7 will be no problem if i can give the voltage a little boost just to keep it stable. Display driver crashes are what usually happens when it does go,so its not bsoding or hard locks so i reckon a small bit of voltage will do the job

Btw,970 is basically the perfect card for that game(Elite) @1440p. Maxed out and its rock solid 60fps.

Can you do me a favour and cap the fans at around 1000RPM, and have a quick look at temps?

Minimum fan speed is 1500 rpm. It can be lowered with a BIOS mod but I don't see the point as it's already quieter than my case fans as it is.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Highest temp ive seen on the G1 is 62C,thats at 1506/1980 after playing a few hours of Arma 3. Ive been following the owners club on OC.net and the suggestion is throttling is going to start at 65C

There is something weird going on with the card,or more accurately the software im using to monitor/overclock it! Its not quite 100% game stable at that clock at current voltage(stock).Weirdly it can run benches like valley,firestrike all day and not a bother:( For some reason i cant get the voltage to increase using offset in AB. No matter what power limit and vcore offset are set to it wont use more that 1.218v. I havent had enough time to mess with it at christmas between getting elite dangerous and family commitments ive had very little time and what i have had has been spent on elite. Gpuz and HWInfo64 are giving different readings for core and memory clocks also. Im sure its literally the software that needs updating and the card is fine its just making it hard to find the overclocking sweet spot and lock it down. Im positive 1505/2000 24/7 will be no problem if i can give the voltage a little boost just to keep it stable. Display driver crashes are what usually happens when it does go,so its not bsoding or hard locks so i reckon a small bit of voltage will do the job

Btw,970 is basically the perfect card for that game(Elite) @1440p. Maxed out and its rock solid 60fps.

Are you using latest version of AB (4.1)? If nothing else the skin is waaaay better. I get max voltage of 1.225 at stock, and it will go up to 1.25 if I add +25mV with afterburner. Adding voltage beyond +25 mV in afterburner doesn't seem to have any additional effect. It's possible that it does actually go higher but AB doesn't read it correctly. I know you can mod the BIOS to unlock higher voltages but it seems the additional overclocked gained would be small anyway.

With SLI there is also a funny behavior where GPU2 will run 25 mV below GPU1. The trick to fix that is to set GPU1 with +13 MHz more core clock (exactly one frequency bin). So for example I run with +117 core on GPU1 and +104 core on GPU2 in afterburner. Then I can get 1.25V on both cards all the time.

Sadly my vram is pretty poor for overclocking, so I'm leaving it at stock for now.

Luck100 wrote: »
    Minimum fan speed is 1500 rpm. It can be lowered with a BIOS mod but I don't see the point as it's already quieter than my case fans as it is.

Could you try with 1500RPM then? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

TheDoc wrote: »
    And on a seperate note, but somewhat connected to the above.

Adverts split from boards like, donkeys ago. The Boards owners are very clear in outlining how the two have little connection anymore apart from being under the same umbrella, but operationally they are totally seperate.

I've been wondering why there isn't a dedicated "For Sale" sub-forum here, for people to offer stuff for sale or trade? I was an Airsoft forum user for years and they have a pretty decent for sale subforum.

With adverts charging now for sales, I would have imagined there might be some merit in having a for sale forum here? I can't imagine there would be any issues with the hierarchy relating to issues like removing potential traffic from adverts. They've made such a strong front in how adverts is an entirely seperate entity, it should mean that the revenue impact is seperate as well ;)

$$$

And boy do they need the $$$

Could you try with 1500RPM then? :P

Okay, I tried looping Heaven with my SLI cards at stock settings, fans locked to 1500 rpm fixed, and case fans set to minimum (600 rpm). Max temp on either card was 67C after 10 minutes. It did down clock by one tick after passing 63C (down to 1405 MHz from 1418 MHz). That's still a healthy overclock compare to reference.

Sschwwweeeeet, thanks for that.

Must not buy 970, must not, must... damn it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Luck100 wrote: »
    Are you using latest version of AB (4.1)? If nothing else the skin is waaaay better. I get max voltage of 1.225 at stock, and it will go up to 1.25 if I add +25mV with afterburner. Adding voltage beyond +25 mV in afterburner doesn't seem to have any additional effect. It's possible that it does actually go higher but AB doesn't read it correctly. I know you can mod the BIOS to unlock higher voltages but it seems the additional overclocked gained would be small anyway.

With SLI there is also a funny behavior where GPU2 will run 25 mV below GPU1. The trick to fix that is to set GPU1 with +13 MHz more core clock (exactly one frequency bin). So for example I run with +117 core on GPU1 and +104 core on GPU2 in afterburner. Then I can get 1.25V on both cards all the time.

Sadly my vram is pretty poor for overclocking, so I'm leaving it at stock for now.

I picked up AB 4.1 the other day alright,have to try get an hour or two to sit down with it and see if it has helped. Both gpuz and hwinfo64 were reporting the voltage to still be 1.218v after increasing it in AB 4.0. Which sucks as i reckon im only a small voltage bump away from having a nice stable overclock. Used the gigabyte tuning utility as well just to see if it might have been more up to date with the readings etc but my god its bad,like really bad. Again using voltage offset had no effect,card was still using 1.218v no matter the offset!

Hopefully AB 4.1 will do the trick though.

How are the cards performing for you in sli? Are you using 1440p monitor? Ive found one to be just shy of being enough for 1440p but my god its close. Just the likes of Arma 3 it struggles a bit when the action gets going,id say 2 of them @1440p would just demolish games and benches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Would it be possible for me to use one of the free/very cheap amazon AWS instances as a VPN to play counterstrike over? My pings to servers within ireland are around 30, but 70+ to anywhere outside (150 to west EU csgo servers during the evenings..)

EoinHef wrote: »
    I picked up AB 4.1 the other day alright,have to try get an hour or two to sit down with it and see if it has helped. Both gpuz and hwinfo64 were reporting the voltage to still be 1.218v after increasing it in AB 4.0. Which sucks as i reckon im only a small voltage bump away from having a nice stable overclock. Used the gigabyte tuning utility as well just to see if it might have been more up to date with the readings etc but my god its bad,like really bad. Again using voltage offset had no effect,card was still using 1.218v no matter the offset!

Hopefully AB 4.1 will do the trick though.

How are the cards performing for you in sli? Are you using 1440p monitor? Ive found one to be just shy of being enough for 1440p but my god its close. Just the likes of Arma 3 it struggles a bit when the action gets going,id say 2 of them @1440p would just demolish games and benches though.

Loving the SLI. And yes, I'm running 1440p. Don't have Arma 3 but Far Cry 4 runs well over 60 FPS all the time with max settings + 2xMSAA. I actually think the 970 does better in games than you would expect given the bench numbers.

It's amazing the value for money that's out there at the moment. Just played a round of BF4 online with a machine that cost me €300 to build (2nd hand parts), i5 3470 and a regular €100 GTX750 - 2560x1050 mid-high settings, 60fps no problem. Incredible performance for a card of that price. Goes to show though, a minimum of a good i3 or ideally a quad is a must have is you're a BF4 player, when I compare this to my G3258/980 combo it's actually much better to play.

Other than the Bitfenix Outlaw (which Im using right now), are there any other decent Inverted ATX cases on the market? There was the TJ09 or something, but thats outta production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

ED E wrote: »
    Other than the Bitfenix Outlaw (which Im using right now), are there any other decent Inverted ATX cases on the market? There was the TJ09 or something, but thats outta production.

Caselabs and little devil offer cases with reversible motherboard trays, both brands are costly and difficult to get. Other option is silverstone, who have fortress, temjin and raven models with 90 degree rotated mobo mounting.

glynf wrote: »
    Caselabs and little devil offer cases with reversible motherboard trays, both brands are costly and difficult to get. Other option is silverstone, who have fortress, temjin and raven models with 90 degree rotated mobo mounting.

Ooooh baby that FT02 is delicious. I'd forgotten about that.

RV04 is nice too, but a little cramped with the upper drive cage in use ( http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7084/Small%20(10%20of%2015).jpg ) though I asume you could remove that. RV02-E is a looker too.

Cheers glynf, got a lot to ponder over now. Damn star citizen convincing me I need a new rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

Sniper Elite 3, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Were those monitors modified or is that the way they come?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Conriocht wrote: »
    Sniper Elite 3, surely?

It is, says on the tag.

SE3 obviously, but have to laugh at the hardware....Fx-9x CPU, you know, the one that needs watercooling if you don't want your rig to burst into flames, despite a run of the mill i5 bettering it!

Also those bezels are far too thick and look ugly...

SE3 obviously, but have to laugh at the hardware....Fx-9x CPU, you know, the one that needs watercooling if you don't want your rig to burst into flames, despite a run of the mill i5 bettering it!

Also those bezels are far too thick and look ugly...

But I like to overclock CPUs that draw over 300 watts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Conriocht wrote: »
    Sniper Elite 3, surely?
    It is, says on the tag.

My bad - misread their post
    AMD were showing off a triple 4K setup here at ‪#‎CES2015‬. 12K... I asked if it could run Crysis, which it should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That is horrible looking...

On other note, lads. I just sow on steam heroes 3 hd edition!!! Holy crap! A game that made pc gamer!
    I wonder is it all H3 with all expansions or just original?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement