Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Gits_bone wrote: »
    $$$

And boy do they need the $$$

I'd be frustrated to learn that say the mods here push forward with opening a sales/trade sub forum, to then be told now that it would take traffic away from adverts.

Either they are separate entities or they are not. They can't have it both ways.

And considering they arn't making $$$ on it anyway I don't see the point. Sure we have a thread here where people link their adverts url.

Obviously a large portion of sales take place over PM triggered by those posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

On the topic, Anyone interested in a 4930k? Bought it for a build that I'm not doing now...6 core's of 3.4Ghz goodness :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I also have a 29" Ultrawide knocking about, it has a vertical line of dead pixels on the left hand side. Used it for about a year, I honestly didn't notice it at all after awhile, playing games or otherwise. Might suit someone looking to see if a 29" ultrawide is for them? (It's deadly for FPS games like BF4). I was thinking maybe 150 or so...

It's an AOC q2963pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd be frustrated to learn that say the mods here push forward with opening a sales/trade sub forum, to then be told now that it would take traffic away from adverts.

Either they are separate entities or they are not. They can't have it both ways.

And considering they arn't making $$$ on it anyway I don't see the point. Sure we have a thread here where people link their adverts url.

The only reason we do not have this problem with airsoft is because adverts considers it illegal (despite over 7 years of legal operation) so your only option is to go to the sub forum

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Hey, bit off topic but I guess this is the place for it.

Have a 3570k 8gig ram ssd 6870 and I keep getting massive frame drops in BF4, settings are probably lower than they should be and dropping them more made little to no difference. I then took a look at task manager and noticed that it was due to CPU spike of up to 100% usage. Now maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the CPU shouldn't be under massive load while playing games on medium settings.

Original image: http://i.imgur.com/pwbDzhF.jpg

pwbDzhFl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

your signature is absolutely NSFW! fortunately no one was looking....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Now maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the CPU shouldn't be under massive load while playing games on medium settings.

BF4 and a few other titles break that rule and are considered very CPU heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vaxx

Has anyone tried calling Hardwareversand today, I just keep getting a crackling noise on the line.

The no. I am calling is 0049 1805 711 117

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Hey, bit off topic but I guess this is the place for it.

Have a 3570k 8gig ram ssd 6870 and I keep getting massive frame drops in BF4, settings are probably lower than they should be and dropping them more made little to no difference. I then took a look at task manager and noticed that it was due to CPU spike of up to 100% usage. Now maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the CPU shouldn't be under massive load while playing games on medium settings.

That doesn't sound right, 3570k should be plenty enough for BF4. Was it running ok in the past? Anything else running at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

ED E wrote: »
    BF4 and a few other titles break that rule and are considered very CPU heavy.

Yeah but it has often happened on non large 64 player maps, one of the maps was 32 player infantry only surely they are not nearly as cpu intensive
    Luck100 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right, 3570k should be plenty enough for BF4. Was it running ok in the past? Anything else running at the same time?

Yeah I know it really should, yeah it's more so a recent problem, i've had plenty of problems with crashes and the like, but that's just standard BF4
    You can see the other processes running, just a web browser really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OH GOD! I am going lialia here lol.

I am thinking of getting a gaming laptop for bedroom. I still got my desktop pc, but I work a lot lately and in most cases I could not be ****ed sitting in my office chair, bed is way more comfortable! :D
    Looks like for 1k eu I can only get a laptop with i7 8gb 1tb ( no ssd ) and 860m. As you can see its not great Performance for the price.
    I have not speced PCs in ages, so I just gave it a shot just now. Looks like 1k eu can give you a i5 ( non K ) 8gb, 250gb, ssd, 1tb and gtx970! :eek: Considering my current gaming pc is 2500k +gtx 680!!!
    I have 3 monitors already, so I can take one in bedroom. I got a lovely small table next to my bed, which would be perfect for whole setup lol. 42 Inch TV is in bedroom too! :D

I know one thing though... If I buy that Setup, my house mate will hate me! He still plays on my old dell xps 420 that I gave away to him. It converted him to dark side. :D He cant really afford to get a proper new pc at the moment and I will have 2 high end gaming PCs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I also have a 29" Ultrawide knocking about, it has a vertical line of dead pixels on the left hand side. Used it for about a year, I honestly didn't notice it at all after awhile, playing games or otherwise. Might suit someone looking to see if a 29" ultrawide is for them? (It's deadly for FPS games like BF4). I was thinking maybe 150 or so...

It's an AOC q2963pm.

Have you a pic of the dead pixels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Would you not think about an Nvidia Shield rather than a laptop? Games can be streamed from your desktop to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

TheDoc wrote: »

And if the owners of adverts knew that stopping selling on here would make more money for adverts they would do it.

Or perhaps the ad views of the people clicking pages viewing the ad makes up for the fee on adverts perhaps.

Would you not think about an Nvidia Shield rather than a laptop? Games can be streamed from your desktop to it.

Well, I don't want a handheld with controller, I want a proper mouse and keyboard setup. Plus it's not just a gaming device for me, but a browser, media player too.
    I know you can stream, but I don't want to go downstairs in to my gaming room everytime I need to turn on pc. I am just that lazy :pac:
    Another thing is that it will have to go through a lot of walls and I will need way better router then eircom one to have less lag.

Edit: I was even thinking of getting gaming pc from adverts, but jaysus people on there are delusional as ever...

Anyone tried an RMA direct to corsair? Think this psu is covered by a 3yr. Ok to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,191 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dealt with them over a USB connection on my case. Talked to their support forum and they were brilliant to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

They replaced memory for me last year. No bother, didn't even ask for a receipt.

Headshot wrote: »
    I dealt with them over a USB connection on my case. Talked to their support forum and they were brilliant to deal with

Great. I'm gonna shoot them a message on their CS portal yoke and see what they say.

EDIT: cant see the lot code without pulling it all out. Will have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

ED E wrote: »
    Ooooh baby that FT02 is delicious. I'd forgotten about that.

RV04 is nice too, but a little cramped with the upper drive cage in use ( http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7084/Small%20(10%20of%2015).jpg ) though I asume you could remove that. RV02-E is a looker too.

Cheers glynf, got a lot to ponder over now. Damn star citizen convincing me I need a new rig.

FT02 is proper, had one for two years. Sold it lately and got an FT05 instead, excellent case but no good for watercooling-too damn small. Bitch to build in, no matter as I jammed in 2 780's and a H80i cooled 4790k-so I'm happy.

If you want plenty of space, keep an eye out for a TJ11-stupidly expensive new but if you get a decent 2nd hand one go for it..rotated mobo ond sh!t loads of room. Plus astounding build quality. The TJ07 is still available btw.

• Advertisement

Guys, does our beloved German website still deals only with bank transfers? Or they finally joined 21st century with those crazy ideas about credit cards or god forbid PayPal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Guys, does our beloved German website still deals only with bank transfers? Or they finally joined 21st century with those crazy ideas about credit cards or god forbid PayPal?

Srill no credit cards :(. But they've had PayPal for quite some time now :)

Guys I just ordered a new CPU(well second hand) and I have some thermal compound from a few years ago. Does it has a use by date or is it still good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm not sure how many in here use my teamspeak server but I just thought would point out its back up and running now.
    I had a messy migration to a new server as I completely forgot x58 architecture uses nf200 chipsets and crashes vmware when you use a raid card.

Well, I am toying around with builds now. I sort of want try AMD cpu route this time. I want to try a budget build here.

I am looking at FX-8320 and FX-6300 CPUs. Looks like for gaming both of them pretty much indentical its just the matter of 6 cores vs 8 cores. Question is if 970 will be bottlenecked with those CPUs? On a paper it shouldnt...

The other option is that I could just buy 970 and put it in to my overclocked 2500k and drop 680 in to AMD yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Guys I just ordered a new CPU(well second hand) and I have some thermal compound from a few years ago. Does it has a use by date or is it still good?

Still good. Sure most of the stuff thats on peoples PCs has been there years

Still good. Sure most of the stuff thats on peoples PCs has been there years

Cool, thanks for reply. That's what I thinking as well.

Cool, thanks for reply. That's what I thinking as well.

If its been stored badly or left out exposed it might go off but most people buy thermal paste once or twice every 10-20 years. Even then its because they ran out :P

If it looks watery rather than paste-y, it's probably for the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If its been stored badly or left out exposed it might go off but most people buy thermal paste once or twice every 10-20 years. Even then its because they ran out :P

If it looks watery rather than paste-y, it's probably for the bin.

How often should one replace their thermal paste? I don't know this lol

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    How often should one replace their thermal paste? I don't know this lol

I don't think there's any real guidelines for it tbh. Replace it every time you re-seat your heatsink. Age-wise - who knows.... if you're seeing high temps and the thermal paste has been on for 6 years you might start with that alright, but in most cases the first thing anyone will do when they see high temps is re-seat the heatsink anyway!

Just remember less is more with it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement