Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I don't think there's any real guidelines for it tbh. Replace it every time you re-seat your heatsink. Age-wise - who knows.... if you're seeing high temps and the thermal paste has been on for 6 years you might start with that alright, but in most cases the first thing anyone will do when they see high temps is re-seat the heatsink anyway!

Just remember less is more with it...

Yeah mine is good so, just wasn't sure when you said it :D

Mine's 2 years in March or so and no high temps yet so grand :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Well, I am toying around with builds now. I sort of want try AMD cpu route this time. I want to try a budget build here.

I am looking at FX-8320 and FX-6300 CPUs. Looks like for gaming both of them pretty much indentical its just the matter of 6 cores vs 8 cores. Question is if 970 will be bottlenecked with those CPUs? On a paper it shouldnt...

The other option is that I could just buy 970 and put it in to my overclocked 2500k and drop 680 in to AMD yoke.

Most games will need graphics power above CPU power, so it should be okay unless you come to the more CPU hungry games. It depends too on how well the games are optimised for multiple cores. A lot aren't which are out now, but newer ones are. The consoles depending on multiple cores probably helps. Otherwise, if you want to keep costs really down, a Pentium G3258 is an overclockable dual core that you could take up to 4.5GHz. Cheap solution for fast dual threaded applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »
    Most games will need graphics power above CPU power, so it should be okay unless you come to the more CPU hungry games. It depends too on how well the games are optimised for multiple cores. A lot aren't which are out now, but newer ones are. The consoles depending on multiple cores probably helps. Otherwise, if you want to keep costs really down, a Pentium G3258 is an overclockable dual core that you could take up to 4.5GHz. Cheap solution for fast dual threaded applications.

I am looking at budget side, but not that much of a budget. Ideally I want to spend up to 800eu with no OS and just for tower. Those AMD CPUs look like a stupidly good value when it comes to smaller budget PCs.
    I was specing i5 3470 ( non K ) and those work out good bit more expensive and not that much more powerful then fx-8320 or fx-6300 machines. I still think i5 K Cpus are kings, but I dont really need that powerful second machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't touch AMD FX line now. Power hungry, hot, and performance across the board overall in games isn't great. Way better off with a 4690 or similar. I had the Fx6300 and the Fx8350 and I was not happy with either so I went back to Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

I wouldn't touch AMD FX line now. Power hungry, hot, and performance across the board overall in games isn't great. Way better off with a 4690 or similar. I had the Fx6300 and the Fx8350 and I was not happy with either so I went back to Intel.

Just out of curiosity what did you gain by swapping over?

• Advertisement

Well, I am a redneck of pc building world. I don't give a **** about little bit extra noise or knowing that some part deep inside pc is 10 degrees hotter then some other brand etc.
    I just need performance for price and fx series nailing it. Yes, not as fast as Intel, but not as expensive too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

FX is appealing for the price but you will get lower minimum frame rates, and the platform is old and at the end of it's life. Still, the consoles may make it a good choice in the end if multi threaded games finally take off.

CPU_w_600.png

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Just ordered parts for a home office build for my parents. Looking forward to building it next week.

FX is appealing for the price but you will get lower minimum frame rates, and the platform is old and at the end of it's life. Still, the consoles may make it a good choice in the end if multi threaded games finally take off.

Source

At least the FX range went above 40fps min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

srumball wrote: »
    Just ordered parts for a home office build for my parents. Looking forward to building it next week.

Might be building a basic PC for my dad soon. What did you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I think I shortened the lifespan of my SSD by a few years by using it as my Download folder for the past few years. And I downloaded a lot of large files. Only realized today to change it to one of my two TB HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

OCZ sending me a replacement SSD for the one that failed. Have to say their RMA service is actually very good and fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

Unlike their SSDs. AMIRITE? :pac:

Just kidding. Wish other tech firms would follow suit with their customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

OCZ sending me a replacement SSD for the one that failed. Have to say their RMA service is actually very good and fast.

They would want to after all the practice they have had with their failing SSDs :pac:

Western Digital are very good as well. I had to replace a 1.5 TB HDD with them twice. It was even my fault it broke the second time, but i didn't tell them that. You have the option of giving them your credit card details and they send out the new drive and then I use their packaging to send back the faulty one.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    They would want to after all the practice they have had with their failing SSDs :pac:

Really I have a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and it is perfect have it a few years. never had a problem with it.

It will be just my luck after hearing about their SSD's failing and me using the SSD as my download folder it will die soon. Damn you internet.

Well I think I shortened the lifespan of my SSD by a few years by using it as my Download folder for the past few years. And I downloaded a lot of large files. Only realized today to change it to one of my two TB HDD.

EDIT: Never mind aske something that was already answered

Jsmurff wrote: »
    TBH I can't see any benefit of using an SSD
    for that perpouse nore any problem. Why
    do you think it's shortened the lifespan?

I just read today they have a limited write cycle and when you download large files you are continuously writing to the drive. Reading is ok.

SSD's do make a huge difference in boot times when windows is installed to them and also game load times as well.

I just read today they have a limited write cycle and when you download large files you are continuously writing to the drive. Reading is ok.

SSD's do make a huge difference in boot times when windows is installed to them and also game load times as well.

Oh write I thought on average ssd's have a
    combined read/ write cycle of 100000 hours?
    Or at least one ssd on dabs that I was eyeballing
    did.

As for the second point yes that's what I
    feel they are best for, well at least until prices
    drop then I would concider them for storage
    in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Download crystaldiskinfo to see how much has been written to it and the remain lifespan percentage (the actually lifespan is usually several times what's indicated).
    http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

• Advertisement

Handy link cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Took you a few years to realise? lol. Do a health check on it!

Well, I moved my Pc in to bedroom for research purposes! :D

It works like a charm! I am sold, even if my Keyboard and mouse not suited for it lol. I will need to invest in to nice cordless M+K too.

Looks like the second gaming pc is a golden plan after all :D

Guys, I am planing with some builds. Looking more in to non K i5 build to see the costs. What kind of mobo could I get with i5 4460? H97? All I would want is just some sata III, Pcie 3.0. No need future proving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Any advice on cheapest dual band router? Needs to be able for UPC 240 download speeds wirelessly.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MRTULES wrote: »
    Any advice on cheapest dual band router? Needs to be able for UPC 240 download speeds wirelessly.
    Thanks

You can go cheap, but it might be a false economy. They'll be pushing 300Mbps within the year so you really want to get MIMO and AC. Those units arent cheap, but itll save buying two units within a year of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Remember the wifi device on the receiving end needs to be AC too.

ie. if your desktop mobo or laptop are N then you'll need a new wireless card in them to get the higher speeds

Calibos wrote: »
    Remember the wifi device on the receiving end needs to be AC too.

ie. if your desktop mobo or laptop are N then you'll need a new wireless card in them to get the higher speeds

True, but we're fast moving there. My phones AC, most new ones are. Its £17 for an intel AC minicard now.

Go hard or go home!

On another note, how many tick/tocks is 1150 going to get? One more?

LGA775 lasted seven years, dont see that happening again :P

EDIT:
    Just teasing myself here QQ

Total build cost: €1,093.95 + €11.99 shipping
    ASUS Z97-WS €303.44
    Intel Core i7-4770K Box, LGA1150 €315.58
    Silverstone SST-FT02B USB 3.0 Fortress - black €232.91
    be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 600W €95.39
    16GB-Kit HyperX FURY White 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 €146.63

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

My mouse died today :/

It just stopped working its the second one I've had replaces on warranty, has any one ever used a Mionix naos?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement