Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

ED E wrote: »
    On another note, how many tick/tocks is 1150 going to get? One more?

LGA775 lasted seven years, dont see that happening again :P

They might have kept the same number of pins but they certainly didn't follow compatibility across that many years.

One more generation with 1150 - Broadwell. Then onto DDR4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

A few unusual cases showing up at CES, particularly this one by Deepcool (are they even available in Europe?).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/deepcool-tristellar-cyberpowerpc-trinity,28365.html

Tristellar1.jpg

Exploded View
    Tristellar.jpg

Mini itx, though it looks a hefty size all the same. Motherboard in one leg, graphics card in another, and power supply and disc drive in the remaining leg. Plenty of hard drive space as well (though possibly limited to 2.5", im not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Starting to see more companies thinking outside the box (literally) by utilising PCIe extender cables especially after the steambox initiatives. In the case of the steam boxes though it was more a case of aiming for slim consolesque form factor by laying the GPU in the same plane as the mobo. However there is nothing stopping you from orientating the GPU at any angle in any axis or any reasonable distance from the mobo really with the right pcie extender.

At any rate, as soon as I discovered the extenders my mind exploded with custom PC ideas. My problem is that my finances have prevented me from building any of them :D

Still surprised to see so few modders on modding forums utilising them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Monotype wrote: »
    They might have kept the same number of pins but they certainly didn't follow compatibility across that many years.

One more generation with 1150 - Broadwell. Then onto DDR4.

What I should have said is it lasted me for seven years, not that boards were that forward compatible :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What I should have said is it lasted me for seven years, not that boards were that forward compatible :pac:

I'm exactly 5 years on a 1366. Deffo should last 7. I got it before Christmas 5 years ago.

• Advertisement

So yeah, this is a thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,191 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ugh why couldnt he have done the Dell UltraSharp U3415W

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd imagine that's coming. Linus is a fan of the 21:9 monitors, and I can't imagine Dell not having the 3415 at CES.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Deadly. Razers website fell to **** the second the sale opened. Finally managed to get a pageload, and the Blackwidow Chroma went out of stock. Ah well. :D

The mainstream support of Microsoft Windows 7 [ended Monday]. The operating system leaving mainstream support means no more platform updates, no new features, and end of free support. Windows 7 will now enter extended support, which means that security updates will keep coming, and support will be offered for charge. The final end of support for Windows 7 will be reached January 14, 2020.

And so begins MS's attempt to slowly wean us off a decent OS. Tenner says that 2020 deadline gets pushed back several times like XPs was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

And so begins MS's attempt to slowly wean us off a decent OS. Tenner says that 2020 deadline gets pushed back several times like XPs was.

Just upgraded from XP to 7 a month ago in work. I know a number of critical public service semi states who still run it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,191 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

srumball wrote: »
    Just upgraded from XP to 7 a month ago in work. I know a number of critical public service semi states who still run it :confused:

Yap.

Your local doctor is most likely still on XP too.

Headshot wrote: »
    Yap.

Your local doctor is most likely still on XP too.

That I can live with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

GTA V delayed till march on PC:(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-13-grand-theft-auto-5-pc-release-date-delayed-until-march

Also sys requirements announced:

Minimum specifications:

-OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2 (NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
    -Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
    -Memory: 4GB
    -Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
    -Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
    -HDD Space: 65GB
    -DVD Drive

Recommended specifications:

-OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack1
    -Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
    -Memory: 8GB
    -Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
    -DVD Drive

EoinHef wrote: »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-13-grand-theft-auto-5-pc-release-date-delayed-until-march

Minimum specifications:

-OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2 (NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
    -Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHzMemory: 4GBVideo
    -Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
    -DVD Drive

-Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
    -Memory: 8GBVideo
    -Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
    -DVD Drive

Minimum spec:
    - DVD Drive

Lol

65GB though, that is a lot.
    Nice GPU spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

My phenom quad core isnt going to like this is it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Minimum specifications:

-Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
    -Memory: 4GB
    -Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
    -DVD Drive

-Memory: 8GB
    -Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
    -DVD Drive

I was just reading these specs myself before I came on here. 65GB damn that's a long download for my crappy 2-3 MB connection. I played this on xbox 360 when it first came out and may get it again on PC if the bump in graphics is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I was just reading these specs myself before I came on here. 65GB damn that's a long download for my crappy 2-3 MB connection. I played this on xbox 360 when it first came out and may get it again on PC if the bump in graphics is good.

65GB is crazy huge, but that's install size, not necessarily download.

I reckon it could be the textures,have to say they are quite good quality on PS4....for a console anyway:)

The cars in particular are done very well in my opinion.

On PS4 going through the city at speed produces these horrible framedrops,its quite annoying now that ive put quite a few hours into the game,i reckon its going sub 25 at some points:( Looking forward to not having that on PC,well thats provided my 3570K is up to the task!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Lads,whats your opinion on a fair sale price for a reference R9 290 with Full cover block and backplate?
    Only bought it recently off adverts but i'm not gaming atm so no point holding onto it.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I reckon it could be the textures,have to say they are quite good quality on PS4....for a console anyway:)

The cars in particular are done very well in my opinion.

On PS4 going through the city at speed produces these horrible framedrops,its quite annoying now that ive put quite a few hours into the game,i reckon its going sub 25 at some points:( Looking forward to not having that on PC,well thats provided my 3570K is up to the task!!

I finished it on ps3 and I hate myself for that. Trust me ps4 version is just pure boner stuff compared to **** old gen got. 25 frames were pretty much max, not the drop lol.

I am a bit surprised with recommended specs for gta5. Maybe not with cpu, but more with gpu. That looks really really low, then again I can't remember last time spec sheets for recommended were actually correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I had an accident with my pc as I was building my new setup 5820k, msi motherboard and ram etc.
    I spilled half a litre of coolant on my AX1200 watt psu :P.
    I let it dry off to see was I lucky, wouldn't start so I bought another ax1200 watt psu. In the mean time I had washed the broken ax1200 watt psu and let it dry. I just tested it their now and it works no problem :D. So now I have a new ax1200 watt psu and another that looks as clean as a new one :P

deceit wrote: »
    I had an accident with my pc as I was building my new setup 5820k, msi motherboard and ram etc.
    I spilled half a litre of coolant on my AX1200 watt psu :P.
    I let it dry off to see was I lucky, wouldn't start so I bought another ax1200 watt psu. In the mean time I had washed the broken ax1200 watt psu and let it dry. I just tested it their now and it works no problem :D. So now I have a new ax1200 watt psu and another that looks as clean as a new one :P

HaHa you lucky fecker not to have killed the new bits :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

If was looking for a decent 1440p monitor for gaming, what should I be looking at?

I finished it on ps3 and I hate myself for that. Trust me ps4 version is just pure boner stuff compared to **** old gen got. 25 frames were pretty much max, not the drop lol.

I am a bit surprised with recommended specs for gta5. Maybe not with cpu, but more with gpu. That looks really really low, then again I can't remember last time spec sheets for recommended were actually correct.

The drops dont totally ruin it but once your used to buttery 60fps on PC it does get annoying:(

Im impressed with the PS4 version in fairness,was expecting loads of input lag at 30fps but it makes a decent fist of it,it still has that slightly clunky Gta feel though. Feidelity is good and outside of those frame drops it plays really well.

Hoping a 970 will give a good account of itself @1440p. Im quite happy with the card,only really Arma 3 that struggles a bit on it but temps on get to about 57C when playing it so its not utilisng the card fully for some reason,hoping some driver improvements will help with that

game4it70 wrote: »
    HaHa you lucky fecker not to have killed the new bits :p
    Yea none where connected, was lucky was no where near them. Its also non conductive liquid which is probably why the psu didn't blow, was most likely dust just shorting it as was held down by the die.

deceit wrote: »
    Yea none where connected, was lucky was no where near them. Its also non conductive liquid which is probably why the psu didn't blow, was most likely dust just shorting it as was held down by the die.
    If it was old coolant it would have lost its "non conductive" properties so you wouldn't have been so lucky.
    You have a great excuse to build another high end rig now with the spare psu :D

The drops dont totally ruin it but once your used to buttery 60fps on PC it does get annoying:(

Im impressed with the PS4 version in fairness,was expecting loads of input lag at 30fps but it makes a decent fist of it,it still has that slightly clunky Gta feel though. Feidelity is good and outside of those frame drops it plays really well.

Hoping a 970 will give a good account of itself @1440p. Im quite happy with the card,only really Arma 3 that struggles a bit on it but temps on get to about 57C when playing it so its not utilisng the card fully for some reason,hoping some driver improvements will help with that

I had wee play with gta5 on buddies PS4 and I was REALLY impressed with it after finishing the whole damn thing on ps3. I really needed to wait it out. They needed to make it for PS4/xbox one, not for old gen, but we all know why it came out the way it did. Money money money.

Anyway, I got my pc in bedroom for few days as experiment and I have to say, I am in love lol. I cant believe how well it works ergonomics way. I am so happy I did not invest in gaming laptop.
    Thing is, I love this new setup so much, I dont even know if I want a PC downstairs in gaming room anymore... Coming back from work or town, turning on pc and then droping your arse in comfy bed with tons of pillows is just so damn nice lol.
    Few things that I need to sort out first: Get 10m hdmi cable and connect my pc to 42inch TV. I will have a choice between playing my dell 23 or 42 TV. Plus it will be handy to have off screen for movies or web, while playing. Right now I just have hdd connected to TV with tons of movies, while I play on Monitor.
    Wireless keyboard. I need to cut down on wires a bit. Keyboard will be first thing for it. I dont use Mechanical keyboards anyway and any keyboard will be upgrade from my good olde dell xps420 one. I think i sow it for 5eu on donedeal. :D
    Mouse is one thing I am not sure about. I LOVE my deathadder and it has long lead, so its not an issue really (PC is a bit further from everything, so short wires are an issue ), but it would be nice to have wireless option. Not many wireless gaming mouse options. I think I sow some razor one, but it was 120eu, so it can rightfully feck off. Was there some logitech solution? Now I know wireless mouses are not as good as wired ones, but I am not CS go pro too.

game4it70 wrote: »
    If it was old coolant it would have lost its "non conductive" properties so you wouldn't have been so lucky.
    You have a great excuse to build another high end rig now with the spare psu :D
    Yea, it was new coolant, that's the only reason I wanted to try washing the psu in the hopes would comeback to life. Otherwise I would have presumed it was dead. :)
    I now have 2 * AX1200 watt psus, 1500 watt strider psu and a 1000 watt fractal psu :p:p

• Advertisement

Ah, I love amazon so much.

10m hdmi cable 11£ ( maplins website 79.99£, I can only imagine irish one! :eek: )
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XJC6ZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Logitech wireless keyboard. 15.99£ Not a fan of that "wallpaper", but its almost 10£ cheaper then normal one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005BUNK1U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

And something for my fully shaved head as winter is getting a bit cold! :p
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GBVKOKI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement