Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

game4it70 wrote: »
    Linky
    Sweet mother of....:eek:
    I can only imagine the cost of this with 12gb of vram.

Sitting on the fence to see what AMD offers.

12gb of VRAM seems excessive even for 4k. Is that possibly a dual GPU using 2 x 6GB configurations.

If not it's a case of sticking more RAM on for the sake of it. I seriously doubt anything will use half of that even at 4k with high res textures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

That's mental, I have a first gen OCZ SSD and it hasn't hiccuped once. I must be lucky so.

ah geez, now you've done it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

BloodBath wrote: »
    Sitting on the fence to see what AMD offers.

12gb of VRAM seems excessive even for 4k. Is that possibly a dual GPU using 2 x 6GB configurations.

If not it's a case of sticking more RAM on for the sake of it. I seriously doubt anything will use half of that even at 4k with high res textures.

Nah. The specs they're quoting are for the Quadro card (M600, I think) and they always have much more RAM than the Geforce line. I'd expect the 980 Ti to launch with 6GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

TheDoc wrote: »
    ughhh

I've gone through THREE of their Vertex Agility 3 drives. Granted their RMA process is pretty decent and they have sorted me out with replacements, but made a decision to just remove it and buy another Crucial SSD, which has been flawless.

Have to say won't touch of OCZ ever again, the amount of bluescreens and PC downtime was nothing short of a disaster.

I have a OCZ Vertex 3 for a few years now as my main drive and never had a minutes bother with it. It was the best SSD at 120GB at the time(Exact time I purchased it). All reviews said so and so did the specs.

Linky
    Sweet mother of....:eek:
    I can only imagine the cost of this with 12gb of vram.

That sounds cool with 12GB of VRAM but 8 would be plenty even for future proofing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

This will be stupidly expensive.

I wish I was rich. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its designed for professionals, not gamers. You arent meant to be able to afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Well that put me back in my place. How dare I wish to be rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So Postman never showed up today. Non of my stuff from amazon today so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

So Postman never showed up today. Non of my stuff from amazon today so. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5sb3SvFdkzOAxAT-VGB5SzAT1NwiymU0gI2EQMIyw7UNCWF19lA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5sb3SvFdkzOAxAT-VGB5SzAT1NwiymU0gI2EQMIyw7UNCWF19lA

That's harsh man...

Gumbi wrote:
    That's harsh man...

Nelson's an asshole...

I'll admit it: I LOL'd.

Serephucus wrote:
    I'll admit it: I LOL'd.

That your name? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

For all you guys out there that own mechanical keyboards,do you get used to the noise?
    I've just got a Corsair K70 (cherry reds switches) and the noise is driving me potty already :o

I've found everything but Blues pretty quiet, to be honest. If the noise is really bothering you, you could always pick up a set of o-rings and see if that helps you any. They'll change how the keys feel when bottoming out a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

For all you guys out there that own mechanical keyboards,do you get used to the noise?
    I've just got a Corsair K70 (cherry reds switches) and the noise is driving me potty already :o
    You will grow to love it, family and friends will want to kill you if your a late night gamer/coder though :P.

game4it70 wrote:
    For all you guys out there that own mechanical keyboards,do you get used to the noise? I've just got a Corsair K70 (cherry reds switches) and the noise is driving me potty already 

I have the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and I love it for gaming. The noise doesn't bother me at all but I still prefer my laptop for actual typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thanks for the replies.

The missus is already giving out about it :D

I think i might try the orings to see if it saves my bacon.
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I just received a black widow classic mechanical keyboard today. So far I'm not liking it, hopefully it will grow on me though.
    I believed the keys in it would be the same as blue keys in the previous models, well cheap oem versions of them.
    They seem much heavier so far and I can picture my fingers getting tired from using it pretty easy :(.

• Advertisement

Lads, what do you think would be enough to run one of those 21:9 4k versions monitors for gaming at 60ish fps with no AA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive very limited space in my place for my PC,basically a corner in a sitting room:(

But ive had an old 1080p monitor sitting around since i got a Qnix and decided i was going to make room for it by removing half my ancient DVD collection to the bin and clearing a shelf on the rack they were on for the second screen.

The desk i have is pretty small and really isnt big enough for the 27" Qnix as it is so being able to put the second monitor close but not on the desk has been extremely handy,not so much a man cave as a man corner:P Could probably do with it being reversed with the extra resolution of the Qnix at a distance being beneficial but i really do love being close up and personal with Arma 3 on the Qnix,fidelity in some games is just so dam awesome:)

Next up is to connect the second monitor to the PC via DVI or VGA as i want to plug my PS4 up to the 1080p monitor via HDMI,can use my PC headset for audio on the PS4 via the DS4. I can then use it as a second screen for the PC or for the PS4. Also would leave the HDMI port on the PC to connect to the 40" TV in the sitting room as well for those games that just have to have a controller:)

335754.jpg

EDIT:Sorry for anyone who had to scroll but i keep forgetting to resize my images,sorry:o

Lads, what do you think would be enough to run one of those 21:9 4k versions monitors for gaming at 60ish fps with no AA?

Full 4K or 3840 x 1440 or 3840 x 1080? Think headshot is getting a 3840 x 1440p 21:9 and he has a Vapor X 290X 8GB. Could wait and see how he gets on.

I think 4K on a small monitor is overkill. It is the perfect resolution for large tv's.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Full 4K or 3840 x 1440 or 3840 x 1080? Think headshot is getting a 3840 x 1440p 21:9 and he has a Vapor X 290X 8GB. Could wait and see how he gets on.

There is no 1080 version? Or I missed something. But yeah, I am thinking off full 4k 21:9 version. It should be just a bit more demanding then 1440p version, so I wonder if 970 would be enough to start off. Then maybe throw in one more.
    I am tempted to wait out and see amd next gen as it supposed to use new architecture for ram.

Sorry my mistake,i didnt mean to include a 1080p version. Im running 1440p on a 970 and while its very close to being the perfect card for that res i reckon its still a little lacking. I do like to crank the detail settings and keep a little bit of AA on though,2x as a minimum really. So if you were willing to pair the detail back a 970 might not be a bad start at 4k. But considering the above and the jump from 1440 to 4k i doubt it would be enough on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

reckon you'd be wanting sli 970's at least for anywhere close to 60fps on 4k

might be underestimating the jump from 1440p to 4k imo!

Wossack wrote: »

Well, it is a lot less pixels then full blown out 4k. So technically you would need less horse power for it. 980 might even be enough if you willing to turn off AA. ( I hate AA anyway )

Wossack wrote: »

I was saying one 970 is not enough for 1440p never mind 4K. One 980 doesnt really cut it either from looking at benches on guru3d,ultimately sli/cf is the only option for 4k atm but if can only afford one card now i would say get a 970 then add another down the line.

There will be plenty of games playable at 4K on a 970,just not the more demanding ones at 60fps.

You could pick up a pair of 290's now for very little shadow provided you have a PSU that could run them. Another option to consider,or even 2 x 290X's as they start to get cheaper

• Advertisement

YUS!

(Note order placed date. I've been waiting for this for a while)

vMW5OAOl.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement