Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gotta stop tempting me with SC gear here Serephucus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'll PM you a warning before I put up pictures and a mini review so. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So my wireless keyboard and 10m hdmi cable came in.

Playing wot like a boss on 42inch TV in a comfort of my bed and then I have Batman Assault on Arkham on 2312hm next to my bed on a small table. :D

The only advantage my ps4 and xbox one had over PC is now completely gone lol.

DSC_0253_zps8lzatcaw.jpg

DSC_0255_zpsaa6nqp1o.jpg

Really loving this Logitech k300 wireless keyboard. Very comfy and costed 2 peanuts! Yes, its not mechanical, but it is upgrade from my dell xps 420 keyboard lol!

I need a decent wireless mouse now, I want to cut down on wires as much as possible. Any recommendations? Logitech G602 looks nice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G602-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00ESVLW0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421769700&sr=8-1&keywords=g602

My current mouse, as it happens. Really love it. The one and only nit-pick I have with it is that the rubbery section on the top tends to accumulate hand gunk a little, but a wipe with a damp cloth once in a while fixes this. Other than that it's fantastic.

I keep mine in the battery saving mode (forget what it's called) all the time - didn't notice any difference with the "performance" mode - and I get a couple of months out of it before I have to swap batteries. That's using it for hours and hours each day as well, not just the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WoT on the big screen looks class.

Wonder if I should run a 15m HDMI through the attic to the projector in the next room....6ft across but unfortunately 1024x768.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    WoT on the big screen looks class.

Wonder if I should run a 15m HDMI through the attic to the projector in the next room....6ft across but unfortunately 1024x768.

Played just now a good few games. Its really good. I was afraid of having a lot of imput lag or just general bad experience on TV, but it is butter smooth, feels great and looks fantastic.

I am now typing this post on TV too. :P I honestly dont know wtf am I going to do with my consoles...

Serephucus wrote: »
    My current mouse, as it happens. Really love it. The one and only nit-pick I have with it is that the rubbery section on the top tends to accumulate hand gunk a little, but a wipe with a damp cloth once in a while fixes this. Other than that it's fantastic.

I keep mine in the battery saving mode (forget what it's called) all the time - didn't notice any difference with the "performance" mode - and I get a couple of months out of it before I have to swap batteries. That's using it for hours and hours each day as well, not just the odd time.

I am not a dpi whore and it looks like 2500dpi is more then enough anyway. Is accuracy still good though and do you get any oddities with wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I am not a dpi whore and it looks like 2500dpi is more then enough anyway. Is accuracy still good though and do you get any oddities with wireless?

400 is enough :p

Accuracy is fine. I have mine set at 1450 DPI, and the lowest polling rate (125Hz), and it's grand. I sometimes use the mouse across the room (about 2.5m) as a remote for media playback, and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was all set to buy a GTX 970 4GB. But I then said I might as well hold back. As in my opinion 6 GB vRam is the lowest you should buy at the min. I know there is no cheap version with that at the min but i reckon that will change soon.

• Advertisement

Just finished watching the Windows 10 livestream.

Holy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Holy ****.

Holy good or holy bad??

Good, and pretty unexpected.

Win10 will be free for 8/8.1 users, and for Win7 users for the first year.
    Continuum (tablet/2-1/desktop transitioning modes) is cool, and works just like you'd imagine it to. Things get laid out correctly, go full screen when necessary, etc.
    Cortana integration is a thing, and seems to be coming along nicely.
    Spartan looks cool. Has a note-taking (drawing on web pages) mode, offline saving of RSS reading lists, syncing of everything across devices as well.

Then there's the other stuff. HoloLens for one. Their take on an augmented reality headset. Self-contained unit, audio as well, syncing with Windows as well.

Surface Hub. Basically an 84" 4K smart TV with webcam and mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Didnt expect to see a free upgrade from Win 7 so thats a nice surprise! Was toying with the idea of going to 8.1 then get 10 for free when it comes out.

Now i can just stick with 7 till 10 is ready,fair play MS:)

Yeah, wasn't expecting a free upgrade from 7 either. I actually got a copy of Win8 purely for the potential upgrade path as well.

Well, this move by MS only shows how much many people are still with Win 7. Still, fair play.

Is it still possible to get those cheap Win 8 keys lads or Reddit ones got shut down now? Wouldnt mind giving it a shot now and then just pew pew the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Cannot wait for cross platform gaming. Windows 10 vs Xbox one, should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Is it still possible to get those cheap Win 8 keys lads or Reddit ones got shut down now? Wouldnt mind giving it a shot now and then just pew pew the upgrade.

Software swap was "forced" to ban microsoft stuff being sold in the subreddit.
    Didn't stop anything though:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?p=820959#post820959
    Anyone looking to build a budget rig, this (8320e)would be perfect for them instead of an i3 by the looks of it.

Software swap was "forced" to ban microsoft stuff being sold in the subreddit.
    Didn't stop anything though:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Nice one, thanks. I wonder if I get myself new ssd and a fresh win 8 install. My OS drive is only 60gb ( thats how old my pc is now, but with good old 2500k :D )

If I will go for win 8 clean install, will i need format other ssds and hdds too? Steam folders still should be working, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Nice one, thanks. I wonder if I get myself new ssd and a fresh win 8 install. My OS drive is only 60gb ( thats how old my pc is now, but with good old 2500k :D )

If I will go for win 8 clean install, will i need format other ssds and hdds too? Steam folders still should be working, no?

They "should" presumably, once you reinstall steam and point it to the folder location it should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm still not convinced by the 8320e. Great price to performance in total, and an excellent choice for someone with very specific uses, but for the average budget gamer, an i3 is still cheaper and performs better in majority of games - and the 8320e still has a much higher TDP, even if it is reduced.

I still wouldn't be recommending one to a budget gamer. It still just doesn't make sense. Gaming performance is still second rate, combined with a comparatively high TDP.

People will trot out the whole 'future proof' line but that's one getting old since 2007. By the time there are any issues with a 4th gen i3, upgrading to a cheap 2nd hand 4th gen i5 at that point will cost very little.

Even at 109 pounds, that's only about 20 cheaper than the much superior i5 starter lines.

I'm still not convinced by the 8320e. Great price to performance in total, and an excellent choice for someone with very specific uses, but for the average budget gamer, an i3 is still cheaper and performs better in majority of games - and the 8320e still has a much higher TDP, even if it is reduced.

I still wouldn't be recommending one to a budget gamer. It still just doesn't make sense. Gaming performance is still second rate, combined with a comparatively high TDP.

People will trot out the whole 'future proof' line but that's one getting old since 2007. By the time there are any issues with a 4th gen i3, upgrading to a cheap 2nd hand 4th gen i5 at that point will cost very little.

Even at 109 pounds, that's only about 20 cheaper than the much superior i5 starter lines.

In fairness when it comes to CPUs, its really great time. Lots of different options and massive price range. Best thing is that you dont really need high end stuff anymore. As you said, i3 can be a fantastic budget CPU and from AMD something like 6300 Black edition can pull its weight too. I am not even talking about that Pentium CPU.
    I just cant wait for march and all new Nvidia and AMD stuff.

In fact, I am not going to build my second PC now. I am happy enough with my current PC in bedroom. Its nice and warm here. Playing Wot with buddy all evening while having a big feck off cup of tea and laying down under the blankets! :D When those new GPUS are out, then I am going to build a new pc for my gaming room. It will be purely built for 21:9 4k Monitor. So hopefully new GPU solution will do the job. Or I could just get 295x2. I might pick up Nice case and good Power supply before that to keep costs down. Those 2 items would not be droping in price much anyway.
    My current 2500k+gtx680 is still a powerful bastard for 1080p gaming on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

It has begun! Mwah haw haw etc ;)

Screenshot_2015-01-22-10-29-50.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looks like the GTX 960 is out in the wild,for reviewers anyway.

Plenty of reviews for the various models but ill throw up the Gigabyte G1 review as im biased:)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-960-g1-gaming-review,1.html

Pretty solid price/performance too. Edges out the 750 Ti slightly, from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Pretty solid price/performance too. Edges out the 750 Ti slightly, from what I've seen.

And the 760 by 10-40% from another.

I don't agree that it's an excessively solid price to performer card. If dollar = euro as it usually does, the GTX960 is going to be more expensive than the r9 280, which is a bit faster with an extra 1gb of vram. :confused:

In fact, some sources are saying 229 euro, you can get an R9 280X for that money.

I would take the 280/280X any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I don't agree that it's an excessively solid price to performer card. If dollar = euro as it usually does, the GTX960 is going to be more expensive than the r9 280, which is a bit faster with an extra 1gb of vram. :confused:

In fact, some sources are saying 229 euro, you can get an R9 280X for that money.

I would take the 280/280X any day.

Pre-order at ocuk for £169

• Advertisement

That's 225 pre-postage. They have an R9 285 3GB for the same price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement