Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id like to see how these DX12 cards perform when DX12 is actually released. CPU bound games may see enough of an improvement to make the 960 more viable than a 280. Ive seen claims of up to 50% improvement in heavily cpu dependent games. That should be taken with a huge chunk of salt obviously but even half that would be substantial in my mind.

There are also a few things that may sway people to Nvidia as well with driver support. Im not trying to say one is better than another for games but since ive got a 970 things like shadow play,game optimization,DSR etc have impressed me. Much much better than AMD's Raptr offering which i just found irritating and intrusive and the game optimization was a joke on it,CF 7950's and some games were defaulting to medium settings at 1080p:(

If none of that bothers you though i havent found a problem with either "sides" drivers when it comes to games,just Nvidia's strike me as better for everything else. So for just all out €/performance 960 may not be a hit but its in other areas where i think it has the edge.

Just my 2c anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have to agree on that point, Raptr is a load of ****e. I generally buy whatever is the best performance in my budget, but I do prefer Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have to say it is a bit underwhelming card after such heavy hitter like 980 and specially 970. Even 960 sli performance is not really spectacular. 280x does really look like a better deal at this particular moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

960 SLI is pointless. A single 970 is cheaper and has Firestrike score about the same as SLI 960s (and probably better performance in games). Plus 4 GB instead of 2.

Luck100 wrote: »
    960 SLI is pointless. A single 970 is cheaper and has Firestrike score about the same as SLI 960s (and probably better performance in games). Plus 4 GB instead of 2.

Exactly. Usually low budget Gpus like this are really nice in CF/Sli, but not this time.

Lads, would I be right to assume that 650w 80+ Gold PSU would be more then enough to run 970 sli? On some websites they say you better with 700-800w psu and other say 600w is more then enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Exactly. Usually low budget Gpus like this are really nice in CF/Sli, but not this time.

Lads, would I be right to assume that 650w 80+ Gold PSU would be more then enough to run 970 sli? On some websites they say you better with 700-800w psu and other say 600w is more then enough.
    It'd be grand. More than enough. Assumijg you run an Intel system anyways.

Gumbi wrote: »
    It'd be grand. More than enough. Assumijg you run an Intel system anyways.

It will be intel. Might not even be K version.

It will be intel. Might not even be K version.

A good 550w unit would probably be enough. 970s sip power. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,4.html

Gumbi wrote: »
    A good 550w unit would probably be enough. 970s sip power. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,4.html

Well, they are the ones saying that sli would need 700-800w psu.

Well, they are the ones saying that sli would need 700-800w psu.

They're accounting for **** PSUs. 650 watt gold is looooads for 970 SLI,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I have a r9 280 (non x). Should I go crossfire with another r9 280 or sell it and get a GTX 970?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Curved 21:9 1440p G-sync monitor? I'll just leave this here...

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/acer_predator_xr341ck_34_curved_g-sync_screen/1

I just love that they are focusing on this 21:9 ratio!

Considering the prices of these monitors, I bet that bad boy costs a Kidney and considerable amount of blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ill have pictures and a review up at the weekend for my AOC 21:9

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GTX 960 is so disappointing. And it seems all 970s have a serious flaw when the GPU reaches 3GB VRAM or more. Apparently 970s recalls could be on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Serephucus wrote: »

More importantly its 144hz, I think I want need one of these :)

I hope this is a VA panel. It must be different to the LG ones if its claiming 144hz, just as well as the LG 21:9 panels seem to suffer from IPS glow/backlight bleeding.

Guy on OCN has already RMA'ed one 5 times..ouch.

Ditto. If this is VA, it will absolutely be my next monitor. Before I saw this, I was humming and hawing between a 21:9 curved Samsung VA, or the 144Hz IPS G-Sync one. Hopefully this will be the best of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yea, IIRC the slow response time of pixels on an IPS panel would still cause some blurring. Next 6 months will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GTX 960 is so disappointing. And it seems all 970s have a serious flaw when the GPU reaches 3GB VRAM or more. Apparently 970s recalls could be on the cards

Have you a link to this? I was going to get a GTX 970. Glad I held out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Read about this a week or two ago, but didn't know it was so serious/widespread. Will have to have a rethink regarding my build plans. :-/

Well that review wont be coming :(

Its an awesome monitor and invigorates PC gaming for ya but just have alook at this back light bleeding

Very annoyed. Ill have to send it back to Overclockers

qGnXH0Sl.jpg

BZhZqyWl.jpg

4t6AwDal.jpg

Wn2Hpuil.jpg

ZEgLWTWl.jpg

That's pretty horrific looking alright. Apparently it's quite a common problem with all the 21:9 monitors for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ahh jaysus, major disappointment there.

Wow, thats bad. You will be getting replacement or backing out?

Im going to give another go with a replacement

21:9 is just awesome for me. I think its worth another shot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jesus who let that past QC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jesus that's bad. Mine definitely was nowhere near that bad, it was an AOC as well, it was a Q2963PM. Just sold it earlier actually!

Jesus who let that past QC

LG are to blame here. Its a LG panel and they arent doing their job right in the factory. Alot of monitors are experiencing this issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Headshot wrote: »
    Im going to give another go with a replacement

21:9 is just awesome for me. I think its worth another shot

Shocking stuff, have been reading the overclocking forum and the backlight bleeding is rife with your monitor and the 34um95. I opted for the u3415w curved panel instead and am hoping for one with no issues. I almost pulled the trigger on the aoc panel but got a great deal on the 3415w from hardwareversand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement