Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Headshot wrote: »
    LG are to blame here. Its a LG panel and they arent doing their job right in the factory. Alot of monitors are experiencing this issue
    I've got an LG 24EA53. Great picture out of the monitor but I also get a lot of light bleeding, mostly in the lower corners. Only ever notice it when the screen is completely blacked out but it's easily noticeable under those conditions. Never bothered to send it back to Amazon since it didn't bother me really.

You can get rid of it, albeit temporarily, by flexing the bezel of the screen when isn't really advisable, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Still a lot of money to pay for something that's that off the mark quality wise. Wish you better luck with the replacement Headshot. BTW was it overclockers you bought from? Reason i ask as they are showing Samsung S34E790C's due in on their site, VA panel-may be worth checking this one out instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

We need OLED, stat!

Here you go, a snip at a mere €30k ex. Vat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

glynf wrote: »

Damn i've only got the 30k so who wants to lend me the vat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

glynf wrote: »

For that price you would think they would make it more aesthetically pleasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Has anyone got any experience with Chromebooks (Specifically the C720 from Acer). It is simply refusing to boot.

1. Tried plugging it in via HDMI to my monitor. Monitor goes from "Check signal cable" to "No signal" when plugged in. There is obviously power coming through.
    2. Tried holding the power button for 10 - 15 seconds until it powers off. Powered it back on. No joy.
    3. Tried a hard reset by holding refresh and pressing the power button. Nothing.
    4. Opened it up, pulled main cable going from the battery to the main board. Didn't help.

At this point I'm still no closer to figuring out whether it's the hard drive or main board that has fried. Is there a way I can check the SSD from Windows? Not sure if I'm able to plug it in directly to my desktop.

This is the SSD:
    chromebook-ssd-replacement-02.jpg

Any tips on what I can do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

New toys :)

336387.jpg

New routers range wasn't actuallybmuch better than old Netgear wgr614 tbh, but I was able to set the old one up it up as a 2.4 GHZ bridge with homeplugs to cover the WiFi dead zone in the apartment.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any experience with Chromebooks (Specifically the C720 from Acer). It is simply refusing to boot.

1. Tried plugging it in via HDMI to my monitor. Monitor goes from "Check signal cable" to "No signal" when plugged in. There is obviously power coming through.
    2. Tried holding the power button for 10 - 15 seconds until it powers off. Powered it back on. No joy.
    3. Tried a hard reset by holding refresh and pressing the power button. Nothing.
    4. Opened it up, pulled main cable going from the battery to the main board. Didn't help.

At this point I'm still no closer to figuring out whether it's the hard drive or main board that has fried. Is there a way I can check the SSD from Windows? Not sure if I'm able to plug it in directly to my desktop.

This is the SSD:

Have you tried 'power washing' it?

If your mobo takes a M.2 drive you could possibly plug it in and format it from disk management. If it appears as a disk it should be fine, you can get the chrome OS here;

http://getchrome.eu/download.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCIe-mSATA-3x5-SSD-to-1-8-micro-SATA-Adapter-card-USB-micro-SATA-cable-221-/171005389787

Ya need something like that.

Marco range is never that much better due to transmission limits but the throughput on AC with 5Ghz should be whopper. I'm well jealous.

Thanks lads!

Power washing is no good, screen does't turn on. Still no connection via HDMI either. Might end up looking into one of those adapters, but it just seems a waste considering this is likely the only time I would ever use it. :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

@ED E: Yeah range seems to drop off a cliff behind the kitchen wall for some reason which is between living room and bedroom.

Moved the old router to beside the PC (sharing homeplug) which is about halfway to bedroom but still wrong side of that wall. Did some wifi channel analysis to find best 2.4 GHz one for each router (pretty congested in this appt block). Still not great but at least I have a useable 2.4 signal in the bedroom now that doesn't disappear every few minutes. Might get a third homeplug and move it into guest bedroom later on.

C7 is a nice piece of kit anyway, 5 GHz WiFi now matching desktop homeplug performance, and only one other non overlapping 5Ghz network in the building :) which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I doubt it is the SSD that is at fault as it should boot to bios if it is not connected.

I doubt it is the SSD that is at fault as it should boot to bios if it is not connected.

Yeah I assumed I would at least see the Acer logo on boot.. So I'm 90% positive it is indeed the board at fault here. That seems far too cost prohibitive to replace. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah I assumed I would at least see the Acer logo on boot.. So I'm 90% positive it is indeed the board at fault here. That seems far too cost prohibitive to replace. :/

Have you had a look on eBay? The motherboard in my sister's laptop went and I got her a replacement for next to nothing on eBay. As long as you don't mind buying second hand, but at this stage you don't have a lot to lose anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Interesting job this:

https://store.nzxt.com/products/doko-by-nzxt?utm_source=Armory%2BRazer+Newsletter+List&utm_campaign=daa541b4a0-DOKO_News_1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e3b0c42439-daa541b4a0-57715721&mc_cid=daa541b4a0&mc_eid=65f61bbef2

DOKO is a PC streaming device that connects to your network and allows you to easily use your PC in the comfort of your living room. Run office software, stream limitless media content and play PC exclusive titles – do anything and everything your PC can do, anywhere in your home.

So, this is a little bit of a random question. Is there any sort of '21 questions' style website I can visit to try and find a mechanical keyboard? I really want one, but the amount of choice is a little over whelming. Just an example:

1. What is your price range
    2. What switches do you want
    3. What colour
    4. Backlight / No backlight
    etc. etc.

If no such thing exists, I may look into making it myself. I've been looking for a side project for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I don't think there is. I think there was one site (dunno which) that had a form you could fill out, but it was only similar to our "How to ask for computer build help" questionnaire.

May as well stick up your answers anyway. I've done quite a bit of looking myself for certain ones.

Well, I think browns make the most sense in terms of comfort:noise ratio. Considering I do a lot of typing and gaming they seem like a good match.

Price wise, don't really have a budget - I don't mind investing in something I can keep for a long time. I've had my Logitech G15 for about 8 years and I still love it, but would like to change over to mechanical.

Ideally, black keyboard with a blue backlight which would match my case (Fractal Design Define R4), but when it comes down to it colour really doesn't matter.

I think I'd prefer not to have a number pad, as it's a rare occasion I actually use it. I've seen them with optional number pads that you can attach and detach when needs be. I assume they're pretty expensive though.

• Advertisement

Cooler Master does a bunch of tenkeyless keyboards. There's also their TK line which is pretty awesome. (Review I did on mine here)

Ducky also does a bunch. I'm sure one of them will be Brown/Blue-LED. The Shine 3 is the most recent, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

GF has this CMStorm one white backlights instead of blue but everything else matches up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The Razer Blackwidow Ultimate in Chroma, you can set the keyboard to any colour you want or all colours at once. Just a suggestion.

Surprisingly I've only managed to find one keyboard that ticks all the boxes - Ducky 2087S. Decent price too - After shipping it comes to about £99, so including parcel motel and everything it should be roughly €135.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-134-DK

The Blackwidow Chroma is definitely on my shortlist. Looks fantastic, and the razer switches look impressive. From the reviews I've read it seems they're like Cherry Blue switches, but more gaming-orientated. Sounds like a good combination. Total cost from razerzone.com is €170 including delivery to Ireland. €35 more for the ability to change LED colours on the fly, but with the downside being a very large keyboard.
    http://www.razerzone.com/eu-en/store/razer-blackwidow-chroma

The ducky looks like a nice buy alright, and you get your choice of switches.

Lads, which one of you had that key switch tester I sent to someone? Might want to send it on to Danger next.

Serephucus wrote: »
    The ducky looks like a nice buy alright, and you get your choice of switches.

Lads, which one of you had that key switch tester I sent to someone? Might want to send it on to Danger next.

Yes please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think this is the first IPS 1440p 144hz screen I've spotted for sale:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-077-AC&groupid=17&catid=1851

It's a shade over £700 delivered.

It's a GSync monitor though so hopefully the Free-Sync ones are a little bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Speaking of monitors should I go 2560*1080 or 1440p. I'm bored of my 21.5 inch LG IPS and really like the look of the super wide screen.

I only have a Sapphire r9 280 so playing games on 1440p at 60fps is out. It should run the 2560*1080 nicely though.

The options are:

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-25UM65-P - 2560x1080 can get it for €180

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-II-Multi-TRUE10-SE-27-2560x1440-QHD-DVI-HDMI-Monitor-/111380363963?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item19eec97abb - 1440p for €300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I really like the super widescreen monitors too, but I'd just make sure that any games you frequently play work well with the resolution. Chances are, you'd be grand (especially with the likes of Flawless Widescreen doing their thing), but wouldn't hurt to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Dair76 wrote: »
    I really like the super widescreen monitors too, but I'd just make sure that any games you frequently play work well with the resolution. Chances are, you'd be grand (especially with the likes of Flawless Widescreen doing their thing), but wouldn't hurt to be sure.

I saw that, what a great program. The only thing I would be concerned about is DOTA 2 but i really only play that with a few friends once a week or so. I can live with that.

Most AAA games support it. I haven't seen one in the flesh though and would like to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement