Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Has anybody here ever built a mini-itx rig with either the Thermaltake Core V1 or Bitfenix Phenom? I'm moving out of my home house and I want to build a nice small portable rig instead of carrying around my big ape of a case! (CM Storm Trooper) I've been reading about mini-itx and micro-atx builds and i'm really surprised by what they can offer. Main reason I looked at those cases is the air flow is supposed to be great so no need for water cooling

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

TheSegal wrote: »
    Has anybody here ever built a mini-itx rig with either the Thermaltake Core V1 or Bitfenix Phenom? I'm moving out of my home house and I want to build a nice small portable rig instead of carrying around my big ape of a case! (CM Storm Trooper) I've been reading about mini-itx and micro-atx builds and i'm really surprised by what they can offer. Main reason I looked at those cases is the air flow is supposed to be great so no need for water cooling

Well those mini 970 gpus are the game changer when it comes to mini builds. You can now have a really powerful pc in very very small form and almost without any premium on it.
    Was even thinking building one myself as a second system, but then I sow corsair 750D and fell in love. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

srumball wrote: »
    :http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-25UM65-P - 2560x1080 can get it for €180

Where are you getting it for that price?I just bought for €395 inc shipping from dabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Well i promised i was going to do a review of the u3415w but sadly it's going back to hardwareversand

19qq1d.jpg

The backlight bleed is atrocious on it. Ridiculous that so many 34'' 21:9 panels suffer from this. Terrible stuff from an €800 periphal.

Has anyone had any experience with sending monitors back to hardwareversand? Anything i should be aware of? I won't be looking for a replacement as it's too much of a lottery as to the quality of these panels and i won't risk another shoddy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is that another LG panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Dcully wrote: »
    Where are you getting it for that price?I just bought for €395 inc shipping from dabs.

I am looking at the 25 inch and a friend can get it for me in the US, he said they are on sale somewhere at $180 dollars + shipping it to me would be €30 or so

Edit: its frys and its $169.99 actually http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1423697/

Headshot wrote: »
    Is that another LG panel?

It's the dell u3415w but i believe Dell are using an LG panel in it, the same one as the 34uc97.

All these monitors with LG panels have poor quality control. I won't be touching them again.

Did you get your replacement AOC yet?

AOC are going to trade my monitor for a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Danger781 wrote: »
    Surprisingly I've only managed to find one keyboard that ticks all the boxes - Ducky 2087S. Decent price too - After shipping it comes to about £99, so including parcel motel and everything it should be roughly €135.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-134-DK

The Blackwidow Chroma is definitely on my shortlist. Looks fantastic, and the razer switches look impressive. From the reviews I've read it seems they're like Cherry Blue switches, but more gaming-orientated. Sounds like a good combination. Total cost from razerzone.com is €170 including delivery to Ireland. €35 more for the ability to change LED colours on the fly, but with the downside being a very large keyboard.
    http://www.razerzone.com/eu-en/store/razer-blackwidow-chroma

Maybe it's because I haven't tried them or whatever but I'm not buying the mechanical keyboard hype.

Call me crazy but >€50 for a keyboard is ****ing crazy. Over €150 is psych ward territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

QC in LG (and DELL) should be binning them, if theyre not it might suggest that so many of the panels turn out that way that they have to ship em. Think Ill give them another year to work out the kinks in the manufacturing process.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    AOC are going to trade my monitor for a brand new one.

Did you contact AOC directly or overclockers? I assume Overclockers would also be bound to replace the monitor.

zarquon wrote: »
    Did you contact AOC directly or overclockers? I assume Overclockers would also be bound to replace the monitor.

I contacted Overclockers directly and they advise to contact AOC which I found strange since I should be dealing with OC but afaik im cutting out the middle man in OC and dealing with AOC directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Maybe it's because I haven't tried them or whatever but I'm not buying the mechanical keyboard hype.

Call me crazy but >€50 for a keyboard is ****ing crazy. Over €150 is psych ward territory.

Yup, it is. You hit the nail on the head there. :)

zarquon, that sucks massive balls. Here's hoping the RMA process with HWVS is relatively painless (I haven't had need of it... yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

After buying an expensive mechanical keyboard, I would never go back to a standard keyboard.
    They are so much better to use and since using this keyboard all pains in my wrist are gone which I had regularly before getting the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Surprisingly I've only managed to find one keyboard that ticks all the boxes - Ducky 2087S. Decent price too - After shipping it comes to about £99, so including parcel motel and everything it should be roughly €135.

The Blackwidow Chroma is definitely on my shortlist. Looks fantastic, and the razer switches look impressive. From the reviews I've read it seems they're like Cherry Blue switches, but more gaming-orientated. Sounds like a good combination. Total cost from razerzone.com is €170 including delivery to Ireland. €35 more for the ability to change LED colours on the fly, but with the downside being a very large keyboard.

Razer use their own switches which are cheap Chinese knock offs of Cherry switches. They don't have the quality control or durability of Cherry switches. I wouldn't touch them for that kind of money.

Have a look at the quality control at Cherry. The Germans know what they are doing.

Browns are the quietest but people say the switches feel kinda gritty at the actuation point which some people don't like the feel of.

I'm leaning towards the Corsair K65 which uses reds and is tenkeyless and relatively cheap on Amazon with free delivery and easy returns but has no backlighting although there is a new version which is black with back lighting.

I'd buy a bag of rubber O rings to add to the keyboard as well to reduce noise further if the keyboard doesn't have them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I've only watched the first 3 minutes and I'm already seriously impressed.

EDIT: That was seriously cool. I didn't think I could ever be so enthralled by a video about keyboards.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yup, it is. You hit the nail on the head there. :)

Maybe... but I'll never know because I'm not going to waste that sort of money on a keyboard anytime soon. I've an old PS2 white keyboard lying around that makes clicky noises if I ever want to be annoyed by my own typing :p.
    deceit wrote: »
    After buying an expensive mechanical keyboard, I would never go back to a standard keyboard.
    They are so much better to use and since using this keyboard all pains in my wrist are gone which I had regularly before getting the keyboard.

I'd say i find that surprising considering most of the mechanicals I've seen online look worse in terms of ergonomics (and visuals). Sounds like improper use causing RSI rather than an actual problem with membrane keyboards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Maybe... but I'll never know because I'm not going to waste that sort of money on a keyboard anytime soon. I've an old PS2 white keyboard lying around that makes clicky noises if I ever want to be annoyed by my own typing :p.

I'd say i find that surprising considering most of the mechanicals I've seen online look worse in terms of ergonomics (and visuals). Sounds like improper use causing RSI rather than an actual problem with membrane keyboards though.
    Its how easy they are to press which is helping me with my wrist issues.
    Also knowing when you've registered a key press by the tactile feedback saves me having to bottom out which is even less pressure against my fingers.
    I use this keyboard no different than any other keyboard I have to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lads, looking for some advice..

The GF is having grief with integrating a Paypal payment button button on her website, which is a subscription based online training program. The problem is when someone clicks on the purchase button, paypal charges them twice; e.g. if it was €10 for a module for a month, paypal charges them €10 twice in quick succession.

Paypal in fairness said it was an issue with the HTML code and even sent a how to fix it guide for the web developer. This has been happening for over 5-6 weeks, said web developer (who designed the site) is saying that they have fixed the issue, but it is still happening.

Needless to say she is frustrated (to put it mildly..) with this, as apart from it being a pain it looks unprofessional. So I thought I would ask is anyone here up to speed on this sort of thing and looking for a nixer, or do you know anyone who is? Any other forums worth asking in about this?

Thanks in advance.

I have some experience with HTML, but no experience with Paypal integration. I imagine it isn't overly difficult. I'd absolutely be willing to take a look, if that's what you're asking for.

EDIT: Paypal integration looks very easy. I'll gladly try to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thanks a million Danger, will PM you later.

On that note, does anyone have any experience with Bootstrap? Just putting together a webpage there.. I have a row at the end of my page, that I would like to take up say 10% of the height of the page. The remaining 90% will be taking up with a jumbotron containing an image. Is such a thing possible? I'm finding it impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

My SSD's random write performance has plummeted. I have an 840 EVO (the performance restoration patch installed, and that was for read speeds btw). Every other number is on point, the random write speed starts high, but drops to 10k IOPs by the end of the bench. Any ideas what might be going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

massdrop.com

They do group buys on mechanicalkeyboards regularly and you get them for well below Cost price. Really good site to check daily.

I personally use a CoolerMaster Qck Storm tenkeyless. Excellent board.

The ducky you have picked is a good brand. Ducky would be a popular enough board although somewhat more expensive then the CM models which are highly reviewed and regarded.

Razer is typically a brand to avoid. While they have big sales in the targetted gaming market, their durability and longevity leaves a lot to be desired. There is some REALLY detailed and dedicated mechanical keyboard communities, and Razer Blackwidows typically receive very poor feedback. The latest Chroma is also a gimmick. For an extra €30 they are charging to LED backlighting that can change, something that was on a Logitech G15 8 years ago. So don't get fooled like it's some innovation, it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mechanical keyboards arn't hype. They have been around for nearly twenty years....

The recent increase in visibility is down to gaming companies having their sponsored teams use their entries into the market in the last few years, and then fans of said teams picking them up. But the mechanical keyboard community, and the keyboards themselves, have been around for some time.

Granted the advent of social platforms like reddit have allowed for niche communities to explode, and mechanical keyboards is one of them.

It's also worth mentioning that your paying for quality and a lot more "mechanics" in a Mech Keyboard. But you don't need to spend big bucks. My mechanical is one of the best on the market and cost me €60.

The really upper ends will set you back €130-170 but your paying for absolute quality and longevity.

They are far superior to membrane keyboards in every way, in fairness I think it's just one of those things you assume has little difference, and then when you make the switch your like " what the **** was I doing".

I used to use one in work, and only brought one into my gaming setup about two years ago, but I actually get annoyed coming into my office now having to deal with a membrane keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

TheDoc wrote: »
    Mechanical keyboards arn't hype. They have been around for nearly twenty years....

The recent increase in visibility is down to gaming companies having their sponsored teams use their entries into the market in the last few years, and then fans of said teams picking them up. But the mechanical keyboard community, and the keyboards themselves, have been around for some time.

Granted the advent of social platforms like reddit have allowed for niche communities to explode, and mechanical keyboards is one of them.

It's also worth mentioning that your paying for quality and a lot more "mechanics" in a Mech Keyboard. But you don't need to spend big bucks. My mechanical is one of the best on the market and cost me €60.

The really upper ends will set you back €130-170 but your paying for absolute quality and longevity.

They are far superior to membrane keyboards in every way, in fairness I think it's just one of those things you assume has little difference, and then when you make the switch your like " what the **** was I doing".

I used to use one in work, and only brought one into my gaming setup about two years ago, but I actually get annoyed coming into my office now having to deal with a membrane keyboard.

It's kinda like the Sam Vimes philosophy of boots.

Only rich people who can afford really good boots have enough money to never buy new boots because the best ones last forever.

If you're replacing your ****ty membrane keyboard every couple of years it's going to cost you more than getting 1 €60-€100 keyboard that's virtually indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I want a poker II!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I like the idea of a mechanical keyboard but they are way too expensive. I have my trusty old Trust membrane keyboard that I bought in 2004 and I can't find a good reason to replace it. It's compact, yet has full numeric. It's quite, it has a full complement of media hot keys and sleep/power down buttons and is PS/2 so it doesn't rob a USB port and just works unlike other USB keyboards I've had. I've played countless hours of games and wrote a myriad of essays and a thesis on it and it refuses to complain. I tried a Saitek backlit USB keyboard in 2006 and it just slowly disintegrated until it just gave up after a year. Went back to the Trust. At this stage it's an extension of myself and I just can't dispose of it. I might get a mechanical if I find a good price but the Trust won't be far away.

Gbear wrote: »
    If you're replacing your ****ty membrane keyboard every couple of years it's going to cost you more than getting 1 €60-€100 keyboard that's virtually indestructible.

I don't know what keyboards you've been using but I've never had to replace one because it fell apart or some such.

Even the utmost shítty of keyboards (Medion wireless keyboard that came with a PC from ALDI) over 10 years ago is still perfect and IMO has been fantastic to use from typing to gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

srumball wrote: »
    I want a poker II!

But I don't know if I can do without the buttons it's missing... otherwise I'd have one already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement