Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

Non software swap Windows totals it at 2155, 2220 with a middling case. Was thinking of 5820k, which is €200 cheaper. Can hit 1970 with SSWindows. Still interested?

That's a funny way to apologise for calling someone a plebe:rolleyes:

I think I'd prefer to build it myself since I know wtf I'm talking about:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

MC_G wrote: »

That was a joke, not aimed at you in particular.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Are you joking or a moron?

Wow! Ladies, lower your handbags, nobody needs to get hurt (more)! :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's that time of month (AMD R9 300 series leaks) so everyone is a bit wound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

It would be fine to watch videos on holiday although you can get virtually the same at pcworld for less.

Cheers, she will be buying it from €250 rather than the price listed above. I'm just concerned that watching 720p / 1080p won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's that time of month (AMD R9 300 series leaks) so everyone is a bit wound up.

Tell me about it, no interested in the new card, very eager to see what effect it will have on 290 and 970 prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I usually get a beep from my phone every time something happens on paypal.. got a beep saying 10 euro had been charged to my card rather than paypal credit.. checked the account and sure enough 375 quid had been sent to some latvian bank account at 6am. 2 step auth on all email addresses I have, long non-english strings for recovery questions, so checked to see where the card was.. card is gone and they used that to get into the paypal account too.

paypal security is a joke, being able to access an account with just access to a card used on that account is ridiculous

edit: rang them and fair ****s to them they sorted it out quickly, should have the money back in the account in the next 24 hours. better spend it on something nice before it gets robbed again

haha, yeah paypal are pretty good when it comes to fraud, in fairness as are most banks.

Two summers ago I noticed my card had numerous transactions on it. After some ringing and digging around someone had bought 4 of the latest iphones, and a rake load of shoes and stuff from some website.

Had the money back within 48 hours. But appears to have been someone who just lifted the digits of my card. When you think about it, easily happens, how many utilities or companies ask for your entire card details over the phone?

I've no idea who did it as the bank dont tell you as they inititate legal action, but I'd a strong feeling it was a company that deal with my house utilities.

the only charge they did on the card was one single cent probably to see if the card was still working, then just slipped out the paypal balance after gaining access to the account

on my hotmail account that I have specifically for the paypal there were numerous attempts at logging in from germany from a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's related to the paypal bit as they never gained access to the email account, and even if they did get my password right I've got 2step auth on.

All I know is, the money is coming back and I'm glad it was a credit card not a debit card!

Genuinelly couldnt be a worse time to want to buy a GPU.

Retailers bumped prices to deal with GB - > USD conversion problem, and we get doubly hit with the Euro being a joke.

Was eyeing up the Gigabyte G1 GTX970 in JAnuary at €300, same card is now €400, thats monstrously out of my budget(well what I could justify in spend). Really hoping both a price drop late in the summer, along with the Euro sorting its **** out.

Even the Euro - > Dollar is trash, have a friend who regularly visits the US and the conversion isnt much better there

• Advertisement

Add in the lack of DX12.1 compat with most of the current cards and next-gen DX12.1 cards looming on the horizon and its a very bad time to be upgrading. Unless you are running a nice old 2560*1600 screen nothing fits very well, mid-range cards will keep us 1080p plebs going for a long while yet and 4k isn't entirely practical yet with anything short of the bleeding edge of current tech - it just hasn't yet reached the Ultra vs HD4870 mainstream breakthrough point. I suspect the next gen will change that though.

My next upgrade will probably be a new PSU and HDD and a cheap SSD, with any CPU/GPU upgrades put off until the next-gen's mid-range start to arrive. Anything even remotely reasonably priced is little better than a sidegrade for me atm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was browsing a thread on here on my phone last night so can't link it. It was a overclocking guide anyway further down the thread is a few sample builds and the price of RAM back then (3 years ago) was so much cheaper than it is now. Couldn't believe it, if anything i thought RAM would have come down in price with advances in technology and all that.

I was browsing a thread on here on my phone last night so can't link it. It was a overclocking guide anyway further down the thread is a few sample builds and the price of RAM back then (3 years ago) was so much cheaper than it is now. Couldn't believe it, if anything i thought RAM would have come down in price with advances in technology and all that.

It was to do with this http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/nov/30/hard-drive-shortage-pc-prices and it hasn't gone back yet, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It was to do with this http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/nov/30/hard-drive-shortage-pc-prices and it hasn't gone back yet, I think.

Do you know I remember reading about that back then, amazing how the prices never dropped back down. I suppose the market is what people are willing to pay.

Do you know I remember reading about that back then, amazing how the prices never dropped back down. I suppose the market is what people are willing to pay.

id say they didn't reinvest in getting to the old production rate back as they had ddr4 on the horizon. I bought my current ram in 2012 and by the time it had arrived at my house the price had risen nearly 100%.

Name: 32GB-Kit G.Skill RipJawsZ C3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600)
    Article number: HV20G365DE
    Stock balance: ready for dispatch
    Quantity: 1
    Price per unit: 187,27 €
    Price: 187,27 €
    is what I paid for it and it's probably still cheaper than what it would be now, and it's been 3 years.
    ..closest one I could find!

I wish cheapo DDR4 and €100 1TB+ SSDs would hurry their arses up and get here already :(

Working for me. I'd scrap that before a mod happens along

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thanks dude so eircom up to their old tricks. I'll have to read a very helpful pm

Id love to go back to Nvidia.

They are just to good with their drivers ya know. Drivers already out for Witcher 3 while AMD are still getting theirs ready.

I just find it hard to get justify selling my vapor 290x 8GB and then what NVidia card? I like the vram when im going to 4K (hopefully very soon)

I wont spend crazy money on somthing like a Titan. Just need a Nvida card that will match my 290x be it a single card or sli

Headshot wrote: »

They are just to good with their drivers ya know. Drivers already out for Witcher 3 while AMD are still getting theirs ready.

I just find it hard to get justify selling my vapor 290x 8GB and then what NVidia card? I like the vram when im going to 4K (hopefully very soon)

I wont spend crazy money on somthing like a Titan. Just need a Nvida card that will match my 290x be it a single card or sli

In fairness to AMD, NVIDIA weren't sharing their source code so there was no way AMD were going to be able to optimise. From reading an interview with AMD from reddit, it appears they were informed of "Gameworks" intergration into the game like two months before shipping. That's really not a lot of time for AMD to optimise, adding to the fact that NVIDIA arn't sharing source code (as much as they are saying source is irrelevant, it is).

I can see both sides of the argument with NVIDIA querying why they should share their developments, and that they are concerned only with improving performance for their customers and they see no reason to share their source, as with any other industry.

But the GPU market isn't any other industry, and NVIDIA have short memories considering the source that AMD have shared previously, that brought NVIDIA back into the market when AMD had dominance years ago.

I'm very much still on the fence with where my money is going, and daily my thoughts shift. Yesterday I was going 970 due to the hassle free stuff to do with drivers etc. Then today with more reading, kinda copped I don't play new release games until like a year or more after release(most of the time) so my games (BF4, Wow, D3 and the likes) will work totally fine on a 290, and when it comes to titles like Witcher 3, it'll be easily a year before I play them, and issues will be sorted.

Now the 290's lower price and the fact I've been AMD for so long, is appealing to me more. Coupled with their new hardware coming this summer, hopefully meaning a price drop on existing lines.

I must actually do a price check and performance check between the 290 and 290x. I have a 270x at present. Genueinlly hope prices do come down a little and the Euro settles, and by end of summer I'll have a PC I'm really happy with

(I've always cut corners with GPU's as i could never justify the big spend, and while I've got by fine with my games, starting to appreciate the value of buying properly first time round)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Apparently I'm just not allowed to implement virutalisation on my PC. Installed Debian on my second SSD so I could install Proxmox but have experienced nothing but issues since. Managed to mess up my Windows MBR somehow so Windows wouldn't boot. Got that working after a few hours of troubleshooting. Tried enabling Proxmox and it won't boot with the PVE kernel. So I figured I'd just try client hyper-v but I can't get the bloody thing enabled.

Looks like I'm stuck with VirtualBox..

Headshot wrote: »

CF 290x actually outgun a Titan or SLI 780Tis at 4k, I'd stick with AMD in your shoes

FFS

Someone has the R9 290 I had picked out up for sale with a years warranty left at a really good price, gonna try with an offer and hopefully the benefit of "I'll come get this off you tonight".

Typical me when I get an idea on something, I can never have patience. Although if I can get it at this price I'd be chuffed.

Although if it doesnt go through might keep an eye on the second hands, I'd say the market will flood with 290's in the next 30 days.

I love to get an official date on the 980TI. That could be a game changer for me

TheDoc wrote: »
    FFS

Someone has the R9 290 I had picked out up for sale with a years warranty left at a really good price, gonna try with an offer and hopefully the benefit of "I'll come get this off you tonight".

Typical me when I get an idea on something, I can never have patience. Although if I can get it at this price I'd be chuffed.

Although if it doesnt go through might keep an eye on the second hands, I'd say the market will flood with 290's in the next 30 days.

Looks like a done deal, Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x still with a years warranty, €230. I'm pretty happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Looks like a done deal, Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x still with a years warranty, €230. I'm pretty happy with that.

I got that card at Christmas and honestly it's fantastic. Was having issues with GTA, but read that it was driver issues, installed them and it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Is there any sign of mechanical hard drive prices coming down in the not too distant future?
    I have a requirement to purchase somewhere in the region of 4 - 8 drives in capacity range of 4tb - 6tb.
    I would have thought with the introduction of larger SSD capacities and the cost per gb dropping all the time that mechanical drive prices would start to fall to stay competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Dont forget who pointed you in the direction of it haha :):)

Installed in five minutes, waiting on drivers to finish then will give it a whirl :D

Fair play to you Jayo, I always use and know adverts but buying a second hand GPU isn't something I'd ever contemplated. Got it for a lovely price :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Installed in five minutes, waiting on drivers to finish then will give it a whirl :D

Fair play to you Jayo, I always use and know adverts but buying a second hand GPU isn't something I'd ever contemplated. Got it for a lovely price :D

You cant go wrong as long as it has a warranty and it hasn't been abused. Best thing about it is in a few months time you will sell it for close to same price you bought it for if you wish to upgrade to the new ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement