Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I have SLI GTX 970s but the 980ti is calling my name :pac: A lot of that is me wanting to sell before the price drop hits..

Will likely hold off until AMD announce the competition..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also the high end GPU market is nuts. Imagine if you just dropped €1000 on a Titan to find alike what, a month later, a 980TI comes out that is pretty much neck and neck, for a few hundred quid cheaper.

This is why I don't early adopt on GPU's, so many issues and constant "if only I'd waited"

Perfectly delighted with the R9 290 I got, and I guess thats par for the course for me, I buy the high end card a few years after release when it moves down in price, to give me a massive bang for buck value.

Having done all that research into 970 vs 290 earlier this year, I don't know how anyone is an early adopter for GPUs. The variances and issues between manafacturers was staggering.

Headshot mentioned he ordered an EVGA which seemed to be a reliable brand of 970, but I'd have to wait for a while to see the reviews coming out of whats hot and whats not.

EVGA are great to deal with, 3 year warranty and they have a base in Germany if you have to RMA. Will be going to them next time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

god I cant wait for my 980TI

The wait is killing me. I sold my other GPU too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Headshot wrote: »
    god I cant wait for my 980TI

The wait is killing me. I sold my other GPU too :)

It could be worse,i'm waiting on news of AMD's middle to top tier cards :(

Some prices to be taken with very large pinch of salt here.
    http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/20623-amd-radeon-300-serien-dyker-upp-i-prislista

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Might be pulling the trigger on a 980ti myself in the coming days. I really ought to be waiting for what AMD is offering but their driver support/updates has me a little nervous about making the jump back to them.

Regarding the Superclock, Classified & Kingpin versions of the EVGA GPU's, are they binned at all or is just the Kingpin version that gets cherry picked so to speak?
    I plan on putting mine under water asap so perhaps it wont make any difference?? For example does a higher base clock allow for yet higher overclocks under water than say starting off with a stock base clock? I'm sure the silicon lottery is a factor here too.

• Advertisement

viperirl wrote: »
    Might be pulling the trigger on a 980ti myself in the coming days. I really ought to be waiting for what AMD is offering but their driver support/updates has me a little nervous about making the jump back to them.

Regarding the Superclock, Classified & Kingpin versions of the EVGA GPU's, are they binned at all or is just the Kingpin version that gets cherry picked so to speak?
    I plan on putting mine under water asap so perhaps it wont make any difference?? For example does a higher base clock allow for yet higher overclocks under water than say starting off with a stock base clock? I'm sure the silicon lottery is a factor here too.

I would wait if i where you as i'm sure your cards aren't holding you back in games atm :P
    The AMD drivers are perfectly fine for single cards imo and i've never had any issues.On the other hand their crossfire drivers/profiles or lack of have gotten alot of flack lately.

I've found that putting card under water will let you get a bit more of a clock.I think most of the time the overclock will top out well before the temps get high.
    The Kingpin is binned afaik but i've no idea about the others.
    As you say it really is a silicon lottery.

Lads iv been on the look out for ages and I still cant find anything.

Im on the lookout for a mini monitor, somthing that I can assign real time temps to and nothing jumps out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Lads iv been on the look out for ages and I still cant find anything.

Im on the lookout for a mini monitor, somthing that I can assign real time temps to and nothing jumps out at me.

I was thinking last night would there be a market for cheap wee, USB or battery powered monitors for exactly this

I was thinking last night would there be a market for cheap wee, USB or battery powered monitors for exactly this

Exactly. We should go into business Digital Solitude lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There are a few actually. I don't remember names, but NCIX/Linus did a couple of videos on them.

I'd say you'll see a couple more once USB-C becomes more common.

If you really want to try it out, I think Afterburner has an Android app of some sort. Afterburner does CPU temps now as well I think, so it'd give you most of what you're after.

• Advertisement

Exactly. We should go into business Digital Solitude lol

Digital Headshot Enterprises?

Digital Headshot Enterprises?

Yes

That is epic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Heyo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Seems Thermaltake is being naughty again :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQybMheCU6k - The Thermaltake version lol.

The tears of the angry shouting Caselabs fans make the crying from Titan X owners seem mild :)

game4it70 wrote: »
    I would wait if i where you as i'm sure your cards aren't holding you back in games atm :P

Actually they are aren't as good as you might think anymore. Well for starters one of my Titans is dead so just the two now. The recent drivers going back a few months seem to be no longer optimized for the Kepler based GPUs. This has finally been acknowledged by Nvidia and they are supposed to be working on a fix. All sorts of conspiracy theories around that.

I'm very sensitive to microstutter and I see it in games such as Dragon Age and Far Cry 4 and a few others. Far Cry 4 has a lousy SLI profile and even though there are 'fixes' online I've never been happy with the performance. Disabling SLI in Fry Cry 4 and Dragon Age has all but eliminated the microstutter. Maybe this is related to the Driver/Kepler issue mentioned above, I just dont know. SLI and gsync dont always play nicely together either.

Also I've boxed away my 3 1600p monitors and have been using a Rog Swift for the last 6 months. So pairing that with a 980ti under water should be a near perfect match eliminating most if not all of the niggles above. It would mean using my existing 480 + 280 rad to cool a single GPU. :D
    The AMD drivers are perfectly fine for single cards imo and i've never had any issues.On the other hand their crossfire drivers/profiles or lack of have gotten alot of flack lately.

Yes I realise that but I believe that the driver updates are far less frequent than nvidia who generally have game day releases. Anyway, their software side of things just has be a little nervous to make the jump back.

Also I've boxed away my 3 1600p monitors and have been using a Rog Swift for the last 6 months. So pairing that with a 980ti under water should be a near perfect match eliminating most if not all of the niggles above. It would mean using my existing 480 + 280 rad to cool a single GPU. :D

If your happy with Swift that kinda makes your choice for you,needing Nvidia for Gsync.The 980ti paired with the swift will be a nice combo.

I use a 480,360 and 240 rads for cpu and gpu as i like my silence.You can never have to much rad :P

If your happy with Swift that kinda makes your choice for you,needing Nvidia for Gsync.The 980ti paired with the swift will be a nice combo.

Performance wise the swift can be great but I really miss the richer colours of my old IPS panels. It was the first thing I noticed when I switched over to the Swift. Everything is much paler. Grass is where I notice it most. And all games need good grass. :D So I'll be keeping an eye out on upcoming IPS panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Performance wise the swift can be great but I really miss the richer colours of my old IPS panels. It was the first thing I noticed when I switched over to the Swift. Everything is much paler. Grass is where I notice it most. And all games need good grass. :D So I'll be keeping an eye out on upcoming IPS panels.

There is a new 27" Swift with IPS, 144hz, G-Sync at 1440p :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Squaredude wrote: »

You're leaving out the 10-20% sales tax in the US.

Altheus wrote: »
    You're leaving out the 10-20% sales tax in the US.

All depends on what state you live in.

The steam controller is available for preorder at a ridiculous price of €54.99

g9aRdn0.png

I was very much considering getting one but paying €54.99 for a controller just seems silly

Price seems to increase at checkout..
    sUSb620.png

Thats what PS3 and 360s were new, and now PS4 and Xone are the same?

Thats what PS3 and 360s were new, and now PS4 and Xone are the same?

Really?? :confused:

Haven't bought a console controller in years..

Danger781 wrote: »
    Really?? :confused:

Haven't bought a console controller in years..

Yep, cheapest I could find a PS4 one at Christmas was €55 from France. PS3 was that expensive as far as 2012 anyways, haven't looked since

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

Would really like to order the Steam Link for my TV in the sitting room, but seeing as its working out at 70 euro I think I'll wait for some reviews and a more detailed specs first.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Anyone here ever tint their PC windows? Been thinking about trying to tint a panel window on my case. I wonder if I can just use any sort of vinyl tint or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Me sis already got me a DS4. Don't think I'll be needing a new controller for a good while now but I really wish I could test the steam controller for fighting games. With the customisation on the digital d-pad I can only imagine what kind of configs people might make... very intriguing.

• Advertisement

Just ordered an EVGA 980 Ti Sc. Now to find somewhere that has water blocks in stock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement