Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Squaredude wrote: »
    Just ordered an EVGA 980 Ti Sc. Now to find somewhere that has water blocks in stock.

The TitanX blocks fit the reference Ti as the board is the same.Just double check that the SC is compatible.
    Enjoy the new card :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Just ordered an EVGA 980 Ti Sc. Now to find somewhere that has water blocks in stock.

where did you order from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

where did you order from?
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Posted this in the wrong thread at first my apologies.

Quick Question: Imagine a 120mm radiator size all in one liquid cooler. the ones with 2 fans, one on each side of the rad. As far as I know they are designed to be seated at the top back part of a case where you would normally have an intake fan.

Do you think it would work to have, one of these AIO coolers seated there as you would however with one fan on the outside of the case?

so it would go like Fan/Case/Radiator/Fan. so instead of having the fan touching the radiator, the case lining will separate them.

Will this let the cooler work as intended? Is this a good/bad idea?

I ask because, I was meant to be getting a 240 with the fans on the one side, and this would have perfectly fitted at the front of my case. But due to mindfactory being slowpokes and not letting me know it was sold out, it has now virtually sold out everywhere else, with everything else being way above what I wanted to spend, I'm left with the 120 double fan version. It's a bit clunky and I don't want it to take up too much space so I was thinking about placing one fan on the outside. All these coolers have fancy things like 'High-static-pressure-fans' etc. and this is what is making me think it may not work as intended?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

It will work with one fan outside the case but you will need to find a way to thread the outer fans cable into the case.Make sure the fan screws are long to accommodate the extra depth of the case.The supplied fans static pressure wont be affected.

As for direction of airflow that depends on what way your case fans are setup and your if graphics card blows air around case or outputs out the back.

Pick what direction you think is best for your setup.The difference between having the AIO in-taking or exhausting is only a few degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Did they say how long to deliver? Called Scan earlier and ordered mine(two EVGA ref coolers), they received 10 this week and over 70 still on backorder so 3+ weeks..

glynf wrote: »
    Did they say how long to deliver? Called Scan earlier and ordered mine(two EVGA ref coolers), they received 10 this week and over 70 still on backorder so 3+ weeks..

No mention of it. Just came up on the site that they'd be in stock in 3-4 days. Saying out of stock again now,so hopefully I managed to snag one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Good stuff, hope you do.

game4it70 wrote: »
    It will work with one fan outside the case but you will need to find a way to thread the outer fans cable into the case.Make sure the fan screws are long to accommodate the extra depth of the case.The supplied fans static pressure wont be affected.

As for direction of airflow that depends on what way your case fans are setup and your if graphics card blows air around case or outputs out the back.

Pick what direction you think is best for your setup.The difference between having the AIO in-taking or exhausting is only a few degrees.

Thanks for the input. I believe I should have pull-in(to case)/rad/pull-in(this is the cooler), then 1 exaust at the top of the case and one intake at the front bottom.

anyone see the H tower case from in win from computex??? Apparently it's going to be coming in at over 1000 to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

anyone see the H tower case from in win from computex??? Apparently it's going to be coming in at over 1000 to buy

More than that :O

****ing hell...there's spending money on a case then there is just mental

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

at last! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I cant see that ASUS 3800R being out any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

3800R is also a very shallow curve. Cool to see all these different panels coming out though. We had a long time of the '24"... 1080p... IPS... 1000:1... 5ms... ' It was all pretty much the same for a while there.

I think at the moment my ideal would be a curved 21:9 VA with G-Sync. IPS is great, but seeing as I use my personal rig mostly for TV and some games, I think the higher contrast would be nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

viperirl wrote: »
    at last! :D

Had to watch the first minute of that video a second time. Not a clue what he said - that ass was very distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With 2TB SSDs becoming a thing (for not super insane money), when will my NAS Drives come down in price? Surely its time mechanicals took a dive?

ED E wrote: »
    With 2TB SSDs becoming a thing (for not super insane money), when will my NAS Drives come down in price? Surely its time mechanicals took a dive?

I can't wait. They've been stupid-high for long enough now. Time for a $99 4TB drive.

As linus says, HGST/WD/Seagate should be bricking it big time at this point.

Yup. That $999 2TB drive has to have had some effect on them. V-NAND is coming early next year too, so there's that as well. They have to know that's on the horizon.

C'mon WD - 8TB drives for $199.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id say in real terms though storage has never been cheaper,1TB for roughly €50 20 years ago was probably unimaginable!

For the guys who use mass storage,NAS etc i can imagine its tough enough paying for all those 8TB WD Reds though! Storage at that level does seem to still cost massive money even with HDD's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Slightly odd and annoying one here.

I just moved an old HDD from my former PC, a 500GB Western Digital drive. It's connected and recognised and assigned to the E drive. But I can't seem to find old files and photos on there. I can see the Windows server, Program Files and even the Users folder, but no sign of my old family photos and so on.

Any ideas?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Slightly odd and annoying one here.

I just moved an old HDD from my former PC, a 500GB Western Digital drive. It's connected and recognised and assigned to the E drive. But I can't seem to find old files and photos on there. I can see the Windows server, Program Files and even the Users folder, but no sign of my old family photos and so on.

Any ideas?

Search the root directory for "*.jpg" and itll locate all the pictures for you. No doubt they'll be near to the rest.

It could be maybe you don't have access to them. Try taking ownership of the Users directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »

I doubt platter drives have much room to maneuver price wise. I think the better question is when will SSD drives be equal per GB to platter drives. There is the death of a industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I actually managed to work it out just a little while ago. While I could access the drive for main items, I hadn't booted from it at all.

All I had to do was change the bootload order as a once off, move the files and photos I wanted to the main 1TB HDD and then swap back to booting from my SSD. Full access now.

Cheers all!

edit:
    It looks like I still don't have total access from the SSD, but for now I can just swap the bootorder until I've copied everything I want, and then I'll use it as an extra back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Anyone using android boxes? I've been looking at the Minix X8-H Plus. Would appreciate any opinions on it or others like it.
    Thanks

After over half a month waiting, my final few parts have been sent out today! Hopefully they'll be here this week and I can get the pc built before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MRTULES wrote: »
    Anyone using android boxes? I've been looking at the Minix X8-H Plus. Would appreciate any opinions on it or others like it.
    Thanks

They are all being murdered by the Raspberry PI 2 in terms of performance/value.

• Advertisement

980 Ti and water block shipped today:) Now to see who's faster, ups or dpd:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement