Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

MRTULES wrote: »
    Anyone using android boxes? I've been looking at the Minix X8-H Plus. Would appreciate any opinions on it or others like it.
    Thanks

What do you want to use it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Guys any recommendations for LED/lighting to have inside a case.

Shifted around my "battlestation" and my tower is now to the side of my desk( on table thingy to improve airflow, was on carpet getting dusty as ****)

Want to slide something in there for a bit of flashyness(feeling purple)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

TheDoc wrote: »

Shifted around my "battlestation" and my tower is now to the side of my desk( on table thingy to improve airflow, was on carpet getting dusty as ****)

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90202329/
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40192356/
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00202324/

Could be pretty cool to put into / under a case , plus when you get sick of purple you can go for a different colour.

I have regular blue cathodes and UV cathodes in my case. If i were to do it again I'd probably use LEDs, depends on how much modding you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

TheDoc wrote: »

I have used the green version of this for past 2 years and has served me well!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BRIGHT-PURPLE-LED-STRIP-PC-LIGHT-KIT-MOLEX-2x-20CM-STRIPS-60CM-TAILS-MOLEX-/181065729513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a285bc5e9

papu wrote: »
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90202329/
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40192356/
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00202324/

Could be pretty cool to put into / under a case , plus when you get sick of purple you can go for a different colour.

I have regular blue cathodes and UV cathodes in my case. If i were to do it again I'd probably use LEDs, depends on how much modding you want to do.

I have the multicoloured bars on the back of my desk, they are pretty good, but they need a plug socket, which I dont have by the PC spare

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

cool, might go with that, looks like what im after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MRTULES wrote: »
    Anyone using android boxes? I've been looking at the Minix X8-H Plus. Would appreciate any opinions on it or others like it.
    Thanks

I use the minix neo x8 and it is brilliant if your using it for xbmc/kodi and showbox ect it is one of the best box's out there, I don't use it as much tho since I got my pc set up to the tv I use that mostly for kodi now and the x8 is in the bedroom.

There is alot of threads on here about them and there is an excelent thread for recommended kodi add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Guesstimates time. If one were to buy a "desktop replacement" laptop now-ish and sell it off in ~1yr, how much of a loss would one make. 50% or would it be more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ED E wrote: »
    Guesstimates time. If one were to buy a "desktop replacement" laptop now-ish and sell it off in ~1yr, how much of a loss would one make. 50% or would it be more?

sell it on adverts and you'd actually not do too bad

ED E wrote: »

I wouldn't think it would be as much as 50%. I'd try selling it for a 25% cut and work down from there. You know how adverts is.

• Advertisement

sell it on adverts and you'd actually not do too bad
    Danger781 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think it would be as much as 50%. I'd try selling it for a 25% cut and work down from there. You know how adverts is.

Cheers guys. Might have to use one of the MSI beasts for a while instead of a real PCMR machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

my 980ti should be shipped today. Water block will be ordered sometime next week. I want to run the card air cooled for a few days to make sure its ok before I start putting a block on it. Since I cant do away with gsync I might as well stick with nvidia for now. I'm eager to see what a single gpu and gync will be like, especially on those games where I felt SLI profiles werent great.

So tonight I'll start tearing down my gpu loop and start putting the reference coolers back on the Titans. Not sure what to do with them. Probably will sell them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Could be do a boards giveaway ;) of course if money isn't tight!

Where can I get isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) around Ireland? In store, online, whatever.. Was going to buy from Amazon but they're being fussy feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Where can I get isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) around Ireland? In store, online, whatever.. Was going to buy from Amazon but they're being fussy feckers

Should be able to get it handy enough in a hardware store.

Or use Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

I bought some in Boots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

How much did you get it in boots for? I was quoted €15 for a 500ml bottle :eek: I need it for cleaning a mechanical keyboard switch so CPU cleaner (the artic silver kit) wouldn't work I presume?

yea think I paid about a tenner - 500ml is more then you'll ever need too :P wouldnt say the artic silver stuff is far off it (some sort of residue-less solvent)

have a look at some contact cleaner if its some sort of electrical connection issue

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-400ml

etc

Mind asking which branch you got it in and was this recent? Thankfully all of the contacts work, it's just a matter of some of the switches being a bit sticky from a spill :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

randymarshjizznqfdt.jpg

Spill..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Ha we get 2.5L of ultra pure IPA for €15 in the university labs.
    :rolleyes:

Dair76 wrote: »
    Spill..?

Even worse, cola ;)

Should be able to get it handy enough in a hardware store.

Or use Parcel Motel?

Tried PM, wouldn't let me ship it. Gave up after trying two or three different brands but didn't try the Arctic Silver stuff above. What I ended up doing was popping into my local pharmacy who have agreed to order a bottle for me - Reckon 100ml is all I will need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

where you based i can get you a bottle of IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Get "surgical spirits", the have it in most chemists. Same thing, different name.

N64 wrote: »
    Mind asking which branch you got it in and was this recent? Thankfully all of the contacts work, it's just a matter of some of the switches being a bit sticky from a spill :D

sorry, the boots in nutgrove iirc (maybe one of the other chemists in there) - maybe 18 months ago

HGST rolling out their 10TB drives to enterprise customers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Well lads, I started a new job there, and have a bit saved. Have a bit of an upgrade itch, as I'd like to treat myself at least once, given I'll have the cash lying around.

My system is fairly rounded though, via several upgrades over tike which have added up and created a nice machine :P I can't really think of a worthy upgrade.

My 2 oldest components, which were part of my first build almost 6 years, are my PSU (Amazon superflower 650w bronze unit - solid model) and my 21.5inch Samsung 1080p monitor.

I run a 4790k @ 4.9ghz and a Vapor X 290 clocked at 1200/1600.

I'm my monitor is the only thing worth upgrading at the moment, and am considering a 22-24 inch 144hz monitor. Don't know what to look for in field, or the price range.

Any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Dilemma dilemma, so finally the rest of my parts arrived today bar one piece, I'm running around like crazy with excitement to get the build going, except there is a little catch. I have an all in one water cooler on the way, and it could get here tomorrow, but if its not here tomorrow it will be next week, and I'm really inpatient and want to build this beast up.

I have the stock cpu cooler which I can use for now, so I'm looking for some advice, should I just build it now, and then throw on the cooler whenever it arrives? another little problem I have is that there was no thermal paste included with the motherboard?, or should that come with the cooler?. I know when my friend was doing his build he got thermal paste with his mobo, I should have just ordered some while I had the money. My friend is gone to the states for the summer so I can't even get a little drop of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement