Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There should be 3 little bronze/gold stripes under the stock cooler, that's the paste.

Don't know a thing about water blocks so I can't advise the rest of the post

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Yeah I know there is some on the stock cooler, its just for when the AIO cooler comes. Also will i need to get rubbing alcohol to get rid of the stock cooler paste afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Well according to UPS my 980ti has been delivered, to someone that's not me, in a town that I don't live in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AIOs and Stock coolers *tend* to come with preinstalled paste. It'll be a tiny gray coloured film on the surface of the copper, protected by plastic.

SXjba7El.jpg

Like that. If it doesnt, you can pick up paste locally. Maplins in town/blanch will have some, MicroPro on the southside stock it, and you might get lucky with PC world too.

Get Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning it off. Think I got my can in Peats :pac:

Squaredude wrote: »
    Well according to UPS my 980ti has been delivered, to someone that's not me, in a town that I don't live in :mad:

That sounds like you were given the wrong tracking number. Wheres it from?

From hardwareversand, tracking was showing everything fine including my address. Now its showing as delivered to someone in a town 10 miles away. Is it possible that ups hand over to local delivery service or An Post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UPS should be End to End. Same with Fedex, DHL. USPS do a handover to an post, as do other non international carriers (Royal Mail, PostNL, China Post Etc).

Get on the blower man, find out what the f'ck theyre up to.

Ah I see, I may just wait till the water cooler arrives to finish of the build then, as I don't really have the money to be buying isopropyl and it's not really worth it for now.

Wow, never again will I trust UPS. Delivery driver handed the package to a guy on the street that said he knew me. Thankfully the guy did know me and just dropped the package into my parents house. He could have been anyone!

It seems my motherboard didn't come with the little spacers that go between the case and the motherboard. is this normal?

my case is the nzxt s340, and the motherboard is msi z97 krait. Is it important that I have these or is it okay for the motherboard to go straight in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

vlad2009 wrote: »
    It seems my motherboard didn't come with the little spacers that go between the case and the motherboard. is this normal?

my case is the nzxt s340, and the motherboard is msi z97 krait. Is it important that I have these or is it okay for the motherboard to go straight in?
    You'll be grand without them, I never used mine for years. If you contact MSI about it, I'm sure they'd provide you some for free.

• Advertisement

I would not chance it without them. They should be with the case, not the mother board

Didn't come with the case either. I thought that was kinda weird.

Not taped inside the case, hidden away where you can't see them like they were on mine :pac:

nope :( there is a baggy with just a single one tho?

On further inspection online I see that the case in fact should have stand offs. and a little bolt that goes in the middle without a screw also. However mine doesn't have any of these things bar one stand off in a baggy. Very annoying that I don't have these as it is now going to further halt my build till god knows when. I blame Overclockers UK as that's where I ordered the case from, and it seems to me that the middle setting bolt was manually taken out by somebody.

And again on inspection of the case manual, it says that 8 standoffs should be included. but they're not. Tempted to go in to maplins, not sure if I'll make it before 6. And not really sure if there is much point as it seems it's something that comes with cases and isn't sold separately.

vlad2009 wrote: »
    nope :( there is a baggy with just a single one tho?

On further inspection online I see that the case in fact should have stand offs. and a little bolt that goes in the middle without a screw also. However mine doesn't have any of these things bar one stand off in a baggy. Very annoying that I don't have these as it is now going to further halt my build till god knows when. I blame Overclockers UK as that's where I ordered the case from, and it seems to me that the middle setting bolt was manually taken out by somebody.

And again on inspection of the case manual, it says that 8 standoffs should be included. but they're not. Tempted to go in to maplins, not sure if I'll make it before 6. And not really sure if there is much point as it seems it's something that comes with cases and isn't sold separately.

I may have some spare that you're more than welcome to. I'll have a look when I finish work tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless your case has built in stand-offs, some cases have this, there's not as obvious as the slim metal stand-offs but just raised areas where standoffs would usually be.

Would be strange for them not to come with a case, unless you bought a display model that they'd taken the bag out of.

I may have some spare that you're more than welcome to. I'll have a look when I finish work tonight.

That would be very sound! thanks.

Just checked maplins and they're out of stock. At least in Dublin anyway.

And yeah I see what you mean Terror, but when you search s340 online you can see that there should be standoffs. I'm actually starting to think Overclockers Uk did push in a display model on me! because the s340 has this one standoff in the middle that comes applied in, it doesn't take a screw, it's just there to position the motherboard and on my case it has been deliberately taken out.

I've a few lying around if squaredude doesn't, PM if you want them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Boards is great for this kind of thing. Sharing the wealth when people are in need! :)

Which reminds me - Somebody here mentioned they have a switch tester. Any chance I could borrow that off you? Otherwise I won't get a chance to test out any switches other than my browns. I'm not sure if I like browns.. maybe because of how I type. I think I'm a heavy typer as I keep pressing some keys all the way down.

Yup I have them. Pm me your name and address and I'll stick them in the post in the morning.

• Advertisement

Just sent OCuk an email. I am suspicious this is a display case, even thought its pretty clean and there was no scratches, that I found anyway.
    The middle standoff comes factory screwed in, the fact that this and all other standoffs are missing is a little suspicious. Will report on what they say.

I'm hoping Squaredude comes through, and isn't to far away from me so I can play this weekend. Otherwise will have to wait till next week. I do have my macbook to play on, but I'm sure you all understand the itch that I have to play on the new pc.

WoopWoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I still havent gotten my 980ti

The stock levels are awful Evga and OCK are taking the piss tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Little off topic, but does anyone know if apple will replace the already replaced Lightning to USB cable if my iPod is still under warranty? The cable only lasted 3 months, and warranty isn't up until September.

If that's a no, would anyone happen to know if there's a cheap place to get a genuine apple one, other than apple? Went through 4 from Dealz in a week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Seaaan wrote: »
    Little off topic, but does anyone know if apple will replace the already replaced Lightning to USB cable if my iPod is still under warranty? The cable only lasted 3 months, and warranty isn't up until September.

If that's a no, would anyone happen to know if there's a cheap place to get a genuine apple one, other than apple? Went through 4 from Dealz in a week :P

I have no idea as I would never buy anything off apple but to get a correct answer off apple fanboys who would have experience ask in the dedicated apple forum here on boards.

Try Amazon.

A good tip is not buy the cheapest electrics you can, as they're shiite, without exception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So hard to buy non fake chargers from anywhere other then the manufacturer, i got a samsung charger looked and was priced pretty close to the real thing and had packaging the whole lot and plugged it in and wouldnt charge phone properly at all.

The problem with them new apple chargers are that even the genuine apple version is dirt too very poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Just curious, who did you buy it from and for how much? What make is it and is it a non-reference model?

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Just curious, who did you buy it from and for how much? What make is it and is it a non-reference model?

Bought from hardwareversand.de for €759, it's an EVGA 980 Ti Super clocked. Its a reference model

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Bought from hardwareversand.de for €759, it's an EVGA 980 Ti Super clocked. Its a reference model

wow the cards seem to be more expensive each generation. Was the 780ti that expensive when launched?? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Thanks anyway, I'll look on the apple section

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement