Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Can anyone tell me, where am I meant to find the codes for whicher 3 and batman, if I have a purchased a gtx970?

Do they appear once I run my computer and set everything up?

or were they meant to be included in the box with the gpu? In which case I didn't get any. I ordered from hardwareversand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, where am I meant to find the codes for whicher 3 and batman, if I have a purchased a gtx970?

or were they meant to be included in the box with the gpu? In which case I didn't get any. I ordered from hardwareversand

You've to email HWVS with a proof of purchase and they'll post them on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I emailed them looking for my batman code. Havent heard back yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Have any of you guys and gals any thoughts on going ITX? I'm tempted for my next build, just to try something different. I've never run a dual card set up before, and don't see that changing what with my impending student related poverty! Any other pros and cons to consider?

Dual card itx? You can probably use it to bake cookies too!

ITX is actually fairly expensive, much more than I thought it would be, though it's probably still a little cheaper than ATX.

Dual cards is finicky and not all games support it.

Are there even Dual card ITX boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

I'm in the market for a mic as my Gamecom 780's mic kicked the bucket yesterday. I don't do anything professional with it, just talk to friends a lot (4-6 hours/day) and was wondering if it's worth it to invest in something more.. quality? Blue microphones snowball is ~€60 and has incredible reviews, but is it overkill? Would love some help, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't see the fascination of going ITX. A full sized case just stuck under the desk is enough for me.

Dual card itx? You can probably use it to bake cookies too!

ITX is actually fairly expensive, much more than I thought it would be, though it's probably still a little cheaper than ATX.

Dual cards is finicky and not all games support it.

Are there even Dual card ITX boards?

I didn't make myself clear - I'm saying that a dual card system isn't something I'm really interested in, hence ITX being an option for me.

Ah okay :D I get you now

To answer my own question there are no dual card ITX boards.

It'd be fairly hot in an ITX, you'd want a nice few fans, 3rd party CPU cooler and probably a heatsink for your card too, especially if you went AMD.

Surely your old build isn't too bad that a single card upgrade is out of the question

What are you gaming on Digital Solitude or anyone else here? just curious.

I'm rocking a old system socket 1366. Was on a i7 920 oc to 4GHz
    Now I have a Xeon X5660 oc to 4.2GHz, 6GB of 1600MHz RAM. Mobo Gigabyte X58A-UD7, R9 290 used to be a GTX 580.

It's still an excellent system and I have no plans to upgrade for a while.

• Advertisement

Ah okay :D I get you now

To answer my own question there are no dual card ITX boards.

It'd be fairly hot in an ITX, you'd want a nice few fans, 3rd party CPU cooler and probably a heatsink for your card too, especially if you went AMD.

Surely your old build isn't too bad that a single card upgrade is out of the question

Well it'd be a completely new build to be honest, although I could re-use the case alright (one of the early Lancools). I guess the mobility of a smaller PC would be convenient for me over the next few years (going back to college as a mature student), although it's not essential I suppose.

I'm on an i5 4460, 8gb 1600mhz ram with a R9 280X. Does the job for me anyways. Only built it in February, it'll be a good while before I need to upgrade anything hopefully

I've the Nanoxia DS3 case, so the whole PC weighs like 15kg :pac: I've to somehow transport that from Leitrim to Galway next year for college, as well as a monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Fractal Design Define R4

AMD 8350 8-Core CPU
    Thermaltake Frio Cooler

Corsair 16GB 1600Mhz RAM

2 x EVGA GTX 970 GPUs in SLI

800W Seasonic PSU (Bronze)

XStar 1440p 27" monitor

Noppoo Choco Mini keyboard w/ MX Browns

Built in July 2013 and only changed the keyboard and GPUs. Have the upgrade itch at the moment though but my microserver currently has my attention..

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

rig is in my overclock.net profile
    http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/5712607

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz, 8GB DDR3 @ 1300Mhz and a 7870 @ 1125/1395. None of this new i****e for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Since buying a new PC over a year ago I've been tempted to revitalise my OLD XPS 630i which served me well for 5/6 years or so.
    I'm just not sure what to do with it... any suggestions?
    I tend to stream my media over my network quite a lot so I'm not sure if I should turn it into a NAS/XBMC/Plex server

I loved the case, the look, the lights etc. Cant bring myself to let go of it. Willing to overhaul it, mostly over a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads monitor has a DVI-D dual link connection. Would a DVI-d single link cable work with that connection?

SXhPhkhl.png

Pharmacist came through - €13 for a 500ml bottle

Headshot wrote: »
    lads monitor has a DVI-D dual link connection. Would a DVI-d single link cable work with that connection?

tBp1hUY.png

Nope

EDIT: Apparently it will work
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Edit 2:
    From what I can gather you will be limited to 1900x1200 @ 60Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Has anyone bought a high end laptop recently? I'll be buying one more than likely in the next couple of months.

Ryanair made me check my hand luggage and proceeded to break my fcuking laptop. Their customer service is a hilarious joke. All e-mail addresses just immediately respond with an automated response and I had 3 live chat supporters just close the chats on me, one without even talking to me. I finally found a phone number for their desk in Dublin after a long search and when I rang the person told me (a) Apparently you have to report the damage immediately after getting off the plane, which is ludicrous, who opens their bags and checks all their luggage in the middle of the airport? And (b) All complaints have to be emailed. After reasoning with the girl on the desk she finally agreed to file the complaint internally for me and I got an email telling me I would have a response within 7 working days... 5 weeks ago...

Anyways, sorry about the rant, so back to the original question: Any suggestions for high end laptops for ~€1k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Bazzo wrote: »
    Has anyone bought a high end laptop recently? I'll be buying one more than likely in the next couple of months.

Ryanair made me check my hand luggage and proceeded to break my fcuking laptop. Their customer service is a hilarious joke. All e-mail addresses just immediately respond with an automated response and I had 3 live chat supporters just close the chats on me, one without even talking to me. I finally found a phone number for their desk in Dublin after a long search and when I rang the person told me (a) Apparently you have to report the damage immediately after getting off the plane, which is ludicrous, who opens their bags and checks all their luggage in the middle of the airport? And (b) All complaints have to be emailed. After reasoning with the girl on the desk she finally agreed to file the complaint internally for me and I got an email telling me I would have a response within 7 working days... 5 weeks ago...

Anyways, sorry about the rant, so back to the original question: Any suggestions for high end laptops for ~€1k

Have a Samsung 13" 9 series for the last 2 years, great laptop. i5, SSD etc. Due to get a new one soon and thinking about the Dell XPS13, they start at 1100 Inc Vat. Also got an asus zen book for a mate recently, 700 on amazon UK. Lovely build quality but not the fastest.

You've to email HWVS with a proof of purchase and they'll post them on

Uhhhhh! Given the stories I've read on here with their terrible responses, I feel like I will be missing out on my two games :(

I did, e-mail them anyway asking about the games. Hopefully they will respond. I emailed them in English, but also translated it to German and put that in the email also, so hopefully they will know what I'm talking about.

Squaredude are you gonna pursue them for the games or have you given up?

I've had one single interaction with them, on behalf of a friend and it went grand :pac: They don't just delete every email or anything

I've included the order number, and a simple translation. So I don't see why it shouldn't be fine, but I'm just a little wary from what I have read around here.

Also quick question? My case came with 2 fans. 2 fans at the top and top back.
    Ive placed the top back one, to the lower front of my case as an Intake. And I will be putting in a 120mm rad + 2 fans instead at the top back. Do I need another fan for the front? As of right now there is only one intake fan, if you don't include the PSU.

One intake in grand, as long as you've at least an intake and outtake then placement isn't worth fretting over

I see, well I've got 2 exhaust now, and one will have double the power since its 2 fans on the rad. So thats why I'm wondering, I feel like I've got too much exhaust and very little intake. If it's not needed then good, I will probably pick one up or find one somewhere in the future anyway.

Exhaust :pac: What am I talking about outtakes...

There was someone here who ran a PC for years with 3 exhausts and no intakes, so I'd say its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Uhhhhh! Given the stories I've read on here with their terrible responses, I feel like I will be missing out on my two games :(

I did, e-mail them anyway asking about the games. Hopefully they will respond. I emailed them in English, but also translated it to German and put that in the email also, so hopefully they will know what I'm talking about.

Squaredude are you gonna pursue them for the games or have you given up?

Yup, I got my code from them last night. Just emailed them with my order number and asked about the code and they sent it to me.

Exhaust :pac: What am I talking about outtakes...

There was someone here who ran a PC for years with 3 exhausts and no intakes, so I'd say its grand

I did that as well. The case had all outtakes. One big up the top and another one out at the back up high and two more out on the front. It was only a few months ago I decided to turn the two on the front around so they would be intakes. I don't know why the case was designed like that with all out takes. I ran it like that for a few years. With a overclocked CPU as well and no problems.

• Advertisement

Did you find any change in temps?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement