Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did you find any change in temps?

I never monitored it. I did change my CPU to Xeon X5660 from i7 920 but the Xeon run cooler anyway even overclocked that the i7 920. The only thing (CPU and GPU) that I have had problem with high temps is my R9 290. Couldn't believe it the day I downloaded MSI afterburner and seen it was in the low 90's. Now I run the fans at faster speed than stock with afterburner and get low 60's temp and it sounds loud. But what can you do. Just turn up the sound or put my earphones on and I cannot hear it. And when I stop gaming I kill msi afterburner so the fans go back to silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I never monitored it. I did change my CPU to Xeon X5660 from i7 920 but the Xeon run cooler anyway even overclocked that the i7 920. The only thing (CPU and GPU) that I have had problem with high temps is my R9 290. Couldn't believe it the day I downloaded MSI afterburner and seen it was in the low 90's. Now I run the fans at faster speed than stock with afterburner and get low 60's temp and it sounds loud. But what can you do. Just turn up the sound or put my earphones on and I cannot hear it. And when I stop gaming I kill msi afterburner so the fans go back to silent.

Sounds about right for 290 reference. Try undervolting too, should help with temps a lot.

No need to worry about temps so high in terms of damage btw, it's designed to deal with a max temp of 95c before throttling.

You can relax the fan curve a bit and let temps go into the 80s if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,196 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ah man my GPU is finally in stock and shipping today

Cant ****ing wait

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

So my 980ti arrived last friday and spent some time putting it through its paces over the weekend. Quite impressed so far although its taking me some getting used to with the noisy reference cooler. I do need to set a reasonably aggressive fan profile to keep the temps ~70c. Anything above that and I notice that the card doesn't boost as high. My front case fans are blocked by harddrive cages, waterpumps and reservoirs though, so the airflow coming in probably isn't good enough for an air cooled GPU at the moment. The sooner the waterblocks come into stock the better.

@ 1440p, Witcher 3 all maxed out (without hairworks) gives me anything from 60 to 80fps on average depending on the scene and that is with a small overclock at stock volts. Performance of Witcher 3 isnt always consistent though. Sometimes if I go into a menu screen and then back to the game, there is a regular stutter and judder every few seconds. Sometimes reloading the same scene and it will be completely smooth then. Temps/power/core clocks are the same in either case. In any case the smoothness is definitely a step above my previous Titan SLI setup.

Crysis 3 all maxed out with a decent amount of AA(cant remember which AA type) is always over 60fps and is super smooth especially with gsync.
    Haven't found the cards overclocking limits yet but I'll do more of that when I get it underwater.

I still havent tried games that I had SLI niggles with yet as I'm just too engrossed in the Witcher 3 for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

viperirl wrote: »
    So my 980ti arrived last friday and spent some time putting it through its paces over the weekend. Quite impressed so far although its taking me some getting used to with the noisy reference cooler. I do need to set a reasonably aggressive fan profile to keep the temps ~70c. Anything above that and I notice that the card doesn't boost as high. My front case fans are blocked by harddrive cages, waterpumps and reservoirs though, so the airflow coming in probably isn't good enough for an air cooled GPU at the moment. The sooner the waterblocks come into stock the better.

@ 1440p, Witcher 3 all maxed out (without hairworks) gives me anything from 60 to 80fps on average depending on the scene and that is with a small overclock at stock volts. Performance of Witcher 3 isnt always consistent though. Sometimes if I go into a menu screen and then back to the game, there is a regular stutter and judder every few seconds. Sometimes reloading the same scene and it will be completely smooth then. Temps/power/core clocks are the same in either case. In any case the smoothness is definitely a step above my previous Titan SLI setup.

Crysis 3 all maxed out with a decent amount of AA(cant remember which AA type) is always over 60fps and is super smooth especially with gsync.
    Haven't found the cards overclocking limits yet but I'll do more of that when I get it underwater.

I still havent tried games that I had SLI niggles with yet as I'm just too engrossed in the Witcher 3 for the moment.

Which is why I'm waiting till this becomes available :D

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5472#ov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Which is why I'm waiting till this becomes available :D

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5472#ov

All reports seem to suggest that this is probably the best of the non-ref aircooled 980ti's. If I wasnt watercooling mine, this would be the one I'd go for alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

viperirl wrote: »

Did the same over the weekend. Will be installing my waterblock today.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Squaredude those standoffs came today. Building as we speak, will throw up some pics soon. Cooler hasn't arrived tho -.- An post are so slow when stuff is transferred to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Red dye is the devil. I'm flushing my loop for the 4th time and distilled water is still coming out red, it's going to be a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Livecast of AMD' new line up.No mention of "fury" cards yet.
    http://www.twitch.tv/amd

So far they quoted the prices of the 390/390x @ $329/$429 and available from Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Starting just now..

Wow that nano will be a beast in sff builds.

$649 for the R9 Fury X according to videocardz
    http://videocardz.com/56504/amd-announces-radeon-300-series-and-radeon-r9-fury

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Does anyone have any experience with phanteks cases? what are they like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

No experience personally, but if I was buying a new case now, it would be a Phanteks. Very highly regarded by any reviewers of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

game4it70 wrote: »
    Livecast of AMD' new line up.No mention of "fury" cards yet.
    http://www.twitch.tv/amd

So far they quoted the prices of the 390/390x @ $329/$429 and available from Thursday.

Will AMD cards still run noiser and hotter than nvidia though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

The Fury x card will run very cool and quite with having an aio unit on it. Much cooler and quieter than similar Nvidia cards with fan coolers.
    You could put an aio on an Nvidia card and maybe would be different but that would add a lot to the cost of the already more expensive nvidia cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Titan X has a TDP of 250w. The Fury X TDP of 300w. It's not much of a difference. The water cooler should handle that extra load just fine.

The Titan X costs €1000. The Fury X will cost €600 and outperforms the titan. The water cooled titan costs €1400.

Granted the titan X has 6-12gb of Vram so it will be better for 4k but there are 8gb HBM Fury X variants on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Yeah I reckon I'll upgrade my tired old 6950 for one of the new 300 series. :cool:
    Still impressed that the 200yoyo card I got 4 years ago plays games decently enough at 1080p. 1gb Vram does struggle on GtaV and newer games tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

BloodBath wrote: »
    Titan X has a TDP of 300w. The Fury X TDP of 300w. It's not much of a difference. The water cooler should handle that extra load just fine.

The Titan X costs €1000. The Fury X will cost €600 and outperforms the titan. The water cooled titan costs €1400.

Granted the titan X has 6-12gb of Vram so it will be better for 4k but there are 8gb HBM Fury X variants on the way.

Please tell me you have a source on this! I know that it costs about that in the US but I can't imagine that it will only cost €600 here :(

There is a serious lack of stock from the looks of according to the purchasing manager at ocuk :mad: :(
    I'd say they will be very close to the 980ti prices.At least the non x fury will be cheaper (thats the one i want).
    Fury X will be in huge constraint for whole of June, July unknown.

Fury and Nano probably won't be released this month.

300 series 100's in my warehouse and 390 8GB is great value as it's a true rival to 970 with twice VRAM.
    In stock cards at a premium, we shall do two SKU's in stock at a premium for those who must have and a pre-order SKU at MSRP which will be due 2-4 weeks after launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The Fury X will cost €600 and outperforms the titan.

Any actual independent benchmarks for this cards performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Any actual independent benchmarks for this cards performance?
    This exactly, we all hope it beats the Titan x at that price but you will have to wait and see.

Maybe jumping the gun a bit. Still no verified benchmarks so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

deceit wrote: »
    This exactly, we all hope it beats the Titan x at that price but you will have to wait and see.
    Maybe jumping the gun a bit. Still no verified benchmarks so we will see.

The thing is, this card is released in 1 week. So if you have a "Titan Killer", the first thing you do in my mind, is ship out 200 or so cards to every big name reviewer in the western world. Because they are the ones that sell the top end stuff to those with money to burn.

If you don't have a "Titan" killer but don't want to impact pre-sales, then you keep your mouth shut and show nothing.

The thing is, this card is released in 1 week. So if you have a "Titan Killer", the first thing you do in my mind, is ship out 200 or so cards to every big name reviewer in the western world. Because they are the ones that sell the top end stuff to those with money to burn.

If you don't have a "Titan" killer but don't want to impact pre-sales, then you keep your mouth shut and show nothing.

Maybe it's not there yet and they are finalising drivers to push it as close or ahead as they can. There's supposed to be a lot of overhead for overclocks so I can see it being close with the specs it has and the price.

Probably looking at 350w+ power consumption with a decent overclock. The cooler is rated for 500w.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Also, when you consider how much info had already leaked out to the media regarding the R9 300/Fury series, there is zero reason to not have those cards in the hands of reviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Venom wrote: »
    Also, when you consider how much info had already leaked out to the media regarding the R9 300/Fury series, there is zero reason to not have those cards in the hands of reviewers.

I'm with Bloodbath on this; drivers. Given the amount of NVIDIA titles floating around now, I'd imagine it's not a trivial task for AMD these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'm with Bloodbath on this; drivers. Given the amount of NVIDIA titles floating around now, I'd imagine it's not a trivial task for AMD these days.

With 1 week to go till launch, I would expect the new drivers to be in a pretty solid state at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You'd think, but of the two, it's a lot more likely to be drivers than hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I assume the Windows 10 upgrade for free program only applies to already installed versions of W7 and 8.1? Basically I have a copy of W7 sitting on a shelf since late last year. It was supposed to be installed on a new build, but that build had to be put on hold for various reasons. I'll finally get it done in September, but that will be too late to avail of the upgrade program. So my options are stick with W7 for the new build, or sell my copy of W7 and put the money towards W10 when I build.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement