Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dair76 wrote: »
    I assume the Windows 10 upgrade for free program only applies to already installed versions of W7 and 8.1? Basically I have a copy of W7 sitting on a shelf since late last year. It was supposed to be installed on a new build, but that build had to be put on hold for various reasons. I'll finally get it done in September, but that will be too late to avail of the upgrade program. So my options are stick with W7 for the new build, or sell my copy of W7 and put the money towards W10 when I build.

Free for the first 12 months so I'd say you're good. You could pick up an HDD and install it using existing machine or something, upgrade and leave it up onto a shelf until September if you wanted piece of mind, I'd say its grand though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Free for the first 12 months so I'd say you're good. You could pick up an HDD and install it using existing machine or something, upgrade and leave it up onto a shelf until September if you wanted piece of mind, I'd say its grand though

Thanks - I had misread a blog post about how long W10 was going to be free for. One less expense to worry about when I build my new rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Did any one watch this ?

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/msi_r9_390x_gaming_8g_review/23
    Anyone read the 390x reviews. Going by this I would expect the fury cards to be good performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

OC3D have the first R9 390X review up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryaX3R9Vq0

Seems MSI did a cracking job on the revision of the 290X but at £350 you are paying £50-70 more for the better cooler, an extra 4 GB of vram and a few FPS more.

• Advertisement

Yeah, just a retweak. People looking for a serious upgrade should be looking at the Furys.

fureys.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Not sure if legit but this is taken from a PCWorld online article. Neck and neck with the 980ti but with the overclocking overhead allowed by the watercooling the Fury X is sure to pull ahead that bit more. Doesnt say exactly what game settings were used though in 4k. Hats off to AMD, a stunning lineup of cards.

Z0Dn1x0.png?1

PC World say it was AMD who supplied the graph, so I expect actual reviews to have the two cards trading blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd expect the standard fury to be trading blows with the 980-980ti.

The Fury X should be somewhere between a titan and 980ti if not ahead of the titan.

Hopefully - healthy competition is better for us.

• Advertisement

I think with AMD winning the console market ie xbone and ps4 its really aloud them to invest heavily in r & d I've been thinking of getting an r9 290x how ever well that just went out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It's nice to have some competition to look forward to. I don't think they invested heavily in r&d to be honest. The console win was a minor financial gain due to the tight margins. More the need to innovate or die a slow death to nVidia and intel.

For sure, I've been itching to do a GPU and monitor upgrade for ages. Almost pulled the trigger on a 970.

Depending on pricing and performance it's looking like I will get 1 of the water cooled fury's.

Would love to match that up with a 3440x1440 ultra wide when their prices get a little more reasonable.

Does anybody know if the Fury supports FreeSync? Surely it does.

BloodBath wrote: »
    For sure, I've been itching to do a GPU and monitor upgrade for ages. Almost pulled the trigger on a 970.

Depending on pricing and performance it's looking like I will get 1 of the water cooled fury's.

Would love to match that up with a 3440x1440 ultra wide when their prices get a little more reasonable.

Does anybody know if the Fury supports FreeSync? Surely it does.

I think so it wouldn't make sense to not support and amd are pretty good with open source, from what I've read. I think this year is amd are going to be on fire there just pushing so hard, :D

8GB 390 and 390x's are starting to show up on geizhals.de now.

Around €350 for the 390 and €450 for the 390x. Hopefully these prices are just placeholders.

The new Asus Strix triple fan looks nice. I think it's out on the 980ti already.

1282721.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

8GB 390 and 390x's are starting to show up on geizhals.de now.

Around €350 for the 390 and €450 for the 390x. Hopefully these prices are just placeholders.

The new Asus Strix triple fan looks nice. I think it's out on the 980ti already.

1282721.jpg
    I hope they fixed the cooler. The Asus 290xs had horrible coolers, Asus simply lifted the cooler off the 780 and put it on the 290x; 2 of the heatpipes had no contact at all with the GPU and the VRMs had terrible cooling.

Saw a review of the MSI 390X on oc3d and it performed pretty well! Some tweaka to the silicone I think based on the slightly surprising performance and reduced power usage at a higher stock speed.

I have a nice 290 Vapor X myself so I definitely won't be getting a 390 (x) myself.

The 390x is trading blows with the 980 surprisingly. That bodes well for the Fury's. They need to get the pricing around €300 for the 390 and €400 for 390x though. Air cooled Fury in at €500, €550 for water and €650 for Fury X and they are on to a winner.

Supply and demand will dictate prices more than AMD though.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd expect the standard fury to be trading blows with the 980-980ti.

The Fury X should be somewhere between a titan and 980ti if not ahead of the titan.

If it's ahead of the Titan that would be insane.

Better performance for half the price.

It'll likely be a little cheaper than the Ti - so long as it outperforms that it should do very well in that area of the market.

Similarly, the Fury could corner the level just below that with prices similar to a 980 but performance between a 980 and a Ti.

I'd expect the Fury-X performance to be around 35-40% faster than the 390x based on the specs which should push it close to a titan.

Even if they only match the 980ti it's a great card for the money especially considering the superior cooler, temps and acoustics.

4k is still a stretch. We'll probably have to wait until next gen for single card solutions for that. 2560x1440 16:9 or 3440x1440 21:9 would probably be perfect.

AMD releassed this slide as well. You have to take this with a pinch of salt of course until we get independent ones but it looks promising.

AMD-Radeon-R9-Fury-X-vs-GTX-980-Ti-4K.png

Considering how much faster a non ref 980ti runs compared to a ref card, and how close those slides above actually are, coupled with the fact that they are likely cherry picked in some way makes me wary of being so optimistic.

But if AMD can come close to a 980ti, with the price and other benefits I think it's a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The 390x is trading blows with the 980 surprisingly. That bodes well for the Fury's. They need to get the pricing around €300 for the 390 and €400 for 390x though. Air cooled Fury in at €500, €550 for water and €650 for Fury X and they are on to a winner.

Supply and demand will dictate prices more than AMD though.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,1.html

Sadly the R9 390X comes in at 488 euros which is alot for a slightly better 290X.

Venom wrote: »
    Sadly the R9 390X comes in at 488 euros which is alot for a slightly better 290X.

It's too high for sure. 8GB of VRAM is all well and good but performance is all anybody cares about.

These prices aren't right imo though. They should go for around €400. The MSRP for a stock 390x was $389. We get shafted with taxes here so it's usually around the same in Euro. 3rd party coolers/boards put the price up a bit.

Considering you can get a good 290x or 970 for around €350 it would be suicide pricing those cards that high.

Maybe they are aiming at a crossfire solution that rivals the Titan for price and has the memory for 4k but that's a tiny market.

It's still a market space they can't fill with HBM memory limitations though. 8GB HBM models are probably still 6-12 months away.

The Nano will replace the 290x place in the market. It's supposed to have the same performance with half the power consumption and size. Crossfire dream?

It looks like the HBR variants are;

Fury X- Water cooled.
    Fury - Slightly cut down Fury X. Air cooled
    Nano- Even more cut down Fury X. Air cooled.

This makes sense with the Fury X being the challenger to the Titan/980ti. The Fury going head to head with the 980 and the Nano going head to head with the 970. Then they have the pair of 8gb 390/390x duking it out with the TitanX. A pair of them should offer 60fps at 4k in most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I've just been offered a GTX 980 for €425, is this a good price considering AMDs new cards could potentially drop the price of Nvidia's cards in the coming weeks?

TheSegal wrote: »
    I've just been offered a GTX 980 for €425, is this a good price considering AMDs new cards could potentially drop the price of Nvidia's cards in the coming weeks?

Second hand or new? Reference or non reference?.A 980 non reference is about 550 new so it's not a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I'm pretty sure the only new technology is the Fury series (Fiji chip). Some reviews imply otherwise but I think it's sloppy language. The 3xx series cards use exactly the same chips as the 2xx series. They've changed the names, bumped the voltages, upped the clocks, and added more VRAM for the 390x. And of course good coolers out of the gate (unlike with the 290x launch). It also looks like these will have less room for overclocking than the 2xx series since they've been clocked closer to their limits from the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Non-reference ASUS card, was used for CUDA simulations for 3 months by a friend who's doing his own research. Think i'll take the plunge and take it off him, never had a quiet graphics card before!

Luck100 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the only new technology is the Fury series (Fiji chip). Some reviews imply otherwise but I think it's sloppy language. The 3xx series cards use exactly the same chips as the 2xx series. They've changed the names, bumped the voltages, upped the clocks, and added more VRAM for the 390x. And of course good coolers out of the gate (unlike with the 290x launch). It also looks like these will have less room for overclocking than the 2xx series since they've been clocked closer to their limits from the factory.

There'll be a few nice Fiji models, and they're looking pretty promising.

Tbh, the 390/390x s are nipping at the heels of the 980 in terms of performance and are a nice bit cheaper.

OFC if you grab a 290, you're giving up only the few tweaks of the 390, 4GB RAM, but also saved a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

God damn Hardwareversand being crappy!

So I had e-mailed them in order to get my codes for witcher 3 and Batman:AK, And 3 days later they finally respond, gave me the Batman code straight away, but told me the witcher code is unavailable anymore? so I kept on questioning them as to why it is unavailable, and that I'm entitled to a copy of the game as it was a part of the sale. But they respond again by saying it's unavailable. no reasons or other excuses other than that it is unavailable.

Batman was the game I wanted more of the 2, so I'm happy with that, but it bugs me that I can't have the witcher because of them. I feel as if they took the codes for themselves and now have ran out or something and have crappy excuses for the customers who have actually bought graphics cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I think the witcher 3 offer is over. At least that's what I see at NVidia's webpage:
    http://www.geforce.com/GetWitcher3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

vlad2009 wrote: »
    God damn Hardwareversand being crappy!

So I had e-mailed them in order to get my codes for witcher 3 and Batman:AK, And 3 days later they finally respond, gave me the Batman code straight away, but told me the witcher code is unavailable anymore? so I kept on questioning them as to why it is unavailable, and that I'm entitled to a copy of the game as it was a part of the sale. But they respond again by saying it's unavailable. no reasons or other excuses other than that it is unavailable.

Batman was the game I wanted more of the 2, so I'm happy with that, but it bugs me that I can't have the witcher because of them. I feel as if they took the codes for themselves and now have ran out or something and have crappy excuses for the customers who have actually bought graphics cards.

I really doubt they took the code for themselves. Maybe email nvidia customer support and tell them whats happened, maybe they'll be decent and give you a code, no harm in chancing it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement