Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

papu wrote: »
    I really doubt they took the code for themselves. Maybe email nvidia customer support and tell them whats happened, maybe they'll be decent and give you a code, no harm in chancing it
    Happened to a mate of mine, this was a limited offer with only a certain amount of codes available. When they where gone you where out of luck.
    The same with the batman game it will only be offered until all stocks of the codes are gone.
    Nvidia say deal with the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I see on the website that the promotion is in fact over, which sucks because I bought this card about a month ago when it was definitely still on. I will email Nvidia and see what they say, but I doubt they will sort me out at this stage. Not too much of a big deal I suppose, at least I got something and to me it was the better of the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

vlad2009 wrote: »
    I see on the website that the promotion is in fact over, which sucks because I bought this card about a month ago when it was definitely still on. I will email Nvidia and see what they say, but I doubt they will sort me out at this stage. Not too much of a big deal I suppose, at least I got something and to me it was the better of the 2.

It does suck , back in the day you used to get codes in the box with the GFX, none of this waiting for the retailer to email you back nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Exactly my thoughts, the codes should be included in the box simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Exact same thing happened me I e-mail asus and amd, copying hwvd in the emails asus sent me out the codes for the never settle program they had next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,196 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads does Uplay have a feature like steam that it can install games on multiple drives?

I want to get Far Cry 4 on my new SSD but how can I get it from the hard drive to the SSD?

I dont want to affect my other Uplay games on the hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Just curious, have 'K' series broadwell cpus been released yet for desktop machines?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not sure if they're available yet but afaik the only two desktop Broadwells are unlocked quads, one i7 and one HT-less i5. Neither are top-of-the-range and instead seem to be leveraging lower power thresholds and much beefier iGPUs rather than eye-popping clockspeeds, thus the change to "C" nomenclature. Given how late in the day they appeared I don't know if fully-fledged Ks will be launched in this current CPU gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Exclusive: Advanced Micro Devices mulling breakup, spinoff - sources
    Chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices is at the initial stage of reviewing whether to split itself in two or spin off a business, seeking to reverse its fortunes and take on rival Intel Corp, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The deliberations are preliminary and no decision has been made, the people said. The review highlights Chief Executive Lisa Su's determination to consider every possible option to turn the company around.

AMD has asked a consulting firm to help it review its options and draw up scenarios on how a break-up or spin-off would work, the people said this week, asking not to be identified because the deliberations are confidential.

One option under consideration is separating AMD's graphics and licensing business from its server business, which sells processors that power data centers, one of the people said.

AMD had explored such a move in the past and decided against it, the people said. Su, however, who took over as CEO last October, judged that there is merit for the company to at least consider such a possibility again, the people added. There is no certainty that a split or spin-off will occur, the people cautioned.

A spokeswoman for AMD declined to comment.

AMD, which has a market capitalization of around $2 billion, has competed with much larger Intel since the 1980s, and at times has made inroads with its PC and server chips. AMD has an extensive cross-licensing agreement with Intel, an issue AMD would have to study carefully in the case of a break-up.

In the last few years, AMD has been caught somewhat flat-footed by new competitors designing low-cost and power-efficient chips. AMD shares have fallen 40 percent over the last 12 months.

The Sunnyvale, California-based company, which said in October it would cut 7 percent of its workforce, is now shifting its focus to gaming consoles and low-power servers to combat falling laptop sales.

While large rivals such as Intel have deeper pockets to fund research on new products, AMD faces declining cash flows and has a more modest balance sheet.

AMD's net loss widened to $180 million, or 23 cents per share, in the quarter that ended March 28, from $20 million, or 3 cents per share, a year earlier. It also missed on revenue expectations. It is forecasting a return to profitability in the second half of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

ZedhRCf.png

Do these look like normal SSD benchmarks? Seem a little on the low side to me.. Drive has about 25% free space so my understanding is this might affect speeds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Danger781 wrote: »
    ZedhRCf.png

Do these look like normal SSD benchmarks? Seem a little on the low side to me.. Drive has about 25% free space so my understanding is this might affect speeds..

Just for comparison - Crucial M4, couple of gen old at this stage

352719.PNG

Why are my writes so much slower? :confused:

This is a Crucial 120GB M500 so not that old by any means. I might try clearing out some data off the drive and re-running the test. I'm getting a fraction of your results..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Your seq rea/writes (particularly writes) are pretty poor. Check if there is a firmware update available.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Your seq rea/writes (particularly writes) are pretty poor. Check if there is a firmware update available.

Doing so right now!

Just backing up my SSD as a precaution.. especially after the experiences I've had lately..

jB4T1DU.png

No improvement whatsoever.. in fact the speeds looks slightly lower than previous! I've made sure AHCI is enabled and the controller is managing my SSD. Updated to the latest firmware MU05. Not sure what to do next.. But I'm tired now I'll look into it tomorrow!

0O0buw8.png

Atto is showing around the 500MB/s read range which is what I would be expecting. The writes are still only half of what Lu Tze was clocking though which is a bit of a concern. Especially considering this model has up to 400MB/s according to the spec sheet so I would think I'd get relatively closer to that. Not really sure what to do from here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads is there anywhere you know that sell random components for computers?

I recently bought a be quiet cpu cooler from hardware versand that was missing a screw. I've emailed them twice about it but no reply.

Hoping I could buy the particular screw somewhere as it's a lot of hassle to send a whole thing back for one screw.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads is there anywhere you know that sell random components for computers?

I recently bought a be quiet cpu cooler from hardware versand that was missing a screw. I've emailed them twice about it but no reply.

Hoping I could buy the particular screw somewhere as it's a lot of hassle to send a whole thing back for one screw.

They are slow to reply to email. Calling them is best.

The best option though is to contact the maker of the cooler directly, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you the component for free.

Which be quiet cooler was it? I have a dark rock pro2 and I have plenty of spare screws from it (for mounting on other sockets). Check the cardboard at the bottom of the box, sometimes screws get stuck under the folds.

Send me a pic of the screw required, I might have it in my spares (I have a Dark Rock Pro 2).

After a bit more digging I realised this was down to false advertising rather than anything being wrong with my drive / configuration. The M500 series drives are capable of up to 400MB/s write speed at the higher capacity spectrum of drives. My specific model - CT120M500SSD1 - I found is only capable of about 130MB/s which more or less matches up with the speeds I was recording in some of the benchmarks. Here is a screenshot from the product page on newegg:
    gfGaS5T.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Gumbi wrote: »
    They are slow to reply to email. Calling them is best.

The best option though is to contact the maker of the cooler directly, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you the component for free.

Which be quiet cooler was it? I have a dark rock pro2 and I have plenty of spare screws from it (for mounting on other sockets). Check the cardboard at the bottom of the box, sometimes screws get stuck under the folds.

Send me a pic of the screw required, I might have it in my spares (I have a Dark Rock Pro 2).

Thanks man! This is the screw missing.

• Advertisement

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Thanks man! This is the screw missing.

Most of my screws are black. I'll have a look when I go home though. Contact the maker directly and they should sort you out.

You can probably get away with using 2 screws diagonally for the moment.

So happy to be a Nvidia owner after reading about amd cards

http://www.pcgamer.com/batman-arkham-knight-system-requirements-updated-just-ahead-of-launch/

Batman doesn't like Amd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Headshot wrote: »

http://www.pcgamer.com/batman-arkham-knight-system-requirements-updated-just-ahead-of-launch/

Batman doesn't like Amd

This sort of crap is the reason I won't buy Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

****storm in 3... 2...

Hugs Nvidia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

In the long run cant be a good thing,think anybody can see that Nvidia cornering the market would be bad.

Might not be hugging them when there charging double for there cards!! In saying that i have a 970 so who am i to say anything!!

Thing i dont understand is though these Nvidia "enhancements" can make games run like crap even on their own cards,Hairworks in witcher 3 being an example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Headshot wrote: »

Batman doesn't like Amd
    They've released new drivers this evening to fix it. No doubt it just disables something that was causing the problem...
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/207511695917042396

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My housemate is running a 270X Direct CUII and the game only runs satisfactorily at low settings 1080p with 15.6 - that seems absurdly wrong to me. Same card can run GTA V and Battlefield Hardline at high.

wow that Batman game is getting slated for its performance on Nvidia and AMD. I laughed at the 30 FPS too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Steam reviews - 'mostly negative' out of 1,500 reviews so far. What a mess!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement