Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Steam reviews - 'mostly negative' out of 1,500 reviews so far. What a mess!

Just ran the in game bench mark on r9 270x Asus 2gb . Looks terrible compared to origins and cold cold heart, havn't tried the driver yet .
    will hold off playing it for a while
    thank god I bought it off kinguin , most ecpensive game i bought and worst looking so far .
    how's it looking on ps4 or xbox1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How is it so bad looking if it's such a beast to run?

Are the reviews aimed at its poor performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's botched. Even people with Titan's are struggling to maintain framerate.

Top review on steam:
    where to start. It's 2015 and a game of this caliber is being locked at 30fps? While the option is editable. You have to go into the config to do it instead of the main menu. But that doesn't matter. The game is terribly optimized. whether it's 30 or 60fps. You'll get major framerate drops. A single GTX 970 isn't even enough to keep it at a stable 30fps. Which is complete ludicrous. Warner Brothers should be ashamed of releasing a game like this.

And no, it's an average looking game, using Unreal Engine 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

That's pretty disappointing. Is this the first AAA launch debacle since Steam refunds became a thing (although most will have bought from key sites and other stores rather than pay Steam's prices I'm sure)?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

What if you received it for free with the purchase of a card? I'm guessing you get nothing. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to this game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Nope, no refund if you didn't pay for it! I'm guessing it will be patched heavily, so hang tight until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Headshot wrote: »
    So happy to be a Nvidia owner after reading about amd cards

http://www.pcgamer.com/batman-arkham-knight-system-requirements-updated-just-ahead-of-launch/

Batman doesn't like Amd

I'm convinced Nvidia are paying developers, sites and reviewers for articles like this because it's complete nonsense. The amount of shills and Nvidiots in the comments on anything relating to AMD spouting nonsense is also insane.

It's no surprise really but it's a strong indicator of the kind of underhand tactics that Nvidia uses to get market share. One of the reasons I dislike them as a company.

The last Batman game also had a scene in the benchmark that had heavily tessellated objects that weren't even visible on screen at a time when AMD's tessellation was struggling compared to Nvidia. This resulted in a big FPS drop on AMD cards which resulted in a low min fps rating and lower averages overall. They also pulled this tessellation trick in some other Nvidia titles.

AMD have closed the gap on tessellation performance since then. What do they do now? Pay the company to release higher min specs for AMD cards while benchmarks show that the cards perform on par with each other and enabling advanced gameworks smoke on either results in crappy frame rates. Well done Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Although I own an nvidia card, I think its a shame they have to resort to this sort of stuff, concidering they're the bigger company of the two regardless. It tears the pc brothership apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Getting 80-90 fps but with frequent drops to below 40 fps, also noticing stuttering and tearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm convinced Nvidia are paying developers, sites and reviewers for articles like this because it's complete nonsense. The amount of shills and Nvidiots in the comments on anything relating to AMD spouting nonsense is also insane.

They are not paying developers. They are providing them with tools to make programming aspects of the game easier, ergo quicker games cost less to make. It just so happens that when the enhanced Nvidia code library can't work on a AMD card it reverts to some bypass or unoptimized code. Basically, the underlying library for non-Nvidia cards is ****e. Since they don't care about it. And their code is proprietary, so you can't fix it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This might need its own thread, but sure I'll try here first.

I'm looking for a mail client purely for keeping an "offline" copy of email. Right now I have:

Multiple addresses at multiple domains
    Primary Gmail collecting all these addresses
    Active day to day use from this Gmail account
    Windows Live Mail using POP to pull a copy of all mail in this account

The reason for this is, in the unlikely event that gmail shuts down, or I retire an account, I would still like a historical view of my correspondence. So I'm looking for a client to do this. Goals are to be light, support vast quantities of mail and hopefully also support Gmail labels.

Thunderbird is high on the list, but I want to consider all options before migrating and retiring the old machine. Any ideas?

ED E wrote: »
    This might need its own thread, but sure I'll try here first.

I'm looking for a mail client purely for keeping an "offline" copy of email. Right now I have:

Multiple addresses at multiple domains
    Primary Gmail collecting all these addresses
    Active day to day use from this Gmail account
    Windows Live Mail using POP to pull a copy of all mail in this account

The reason for this is, in the unlikely event that gmail shuts down, or I retire an account, I would still like a historical view of my correspondence. So I'm looking for a client to do this. Goals are to be light, support vast quantities of mail and hopefully also support Gmail labels.

Thunderbird is high on the list, but I want to consider all options before migrating and retiring the old machine. Any ideas?

Outlook 2013 archived monthly into a pst stored on synced cloud folder with a IMAP connection to gmail. It may anger some open source enthusiasts, but its such a good email and calendar client.

Fury card reviews are out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Outlook 2013 archived monthly into a pst stored on synced cloud folder with a IMAP connection to gmail. It may anger some open source enthusiasts, but its such a good email and calendar client.

Fury card reviews are out tomorrow.

I like this idea, I assume its possible to sync outlook 2013 to a server or a NAS? My inbox fills rapidly with lots of larger files (CAD), it would be great to back the pst somewhere else in case my laptop dies.

Can you link a guide to do this? I found a Microsoft one and it gave me a headache just looking at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've always found it a real pain to try and get anything coherent from a PST file, so I wouldn't be the first to recommend Outlook. That said, I don't have much experience doing anything like this.

Now it's been mentioned though, it would be a nice thing to have. Keeping an eye out for other suggestions. :)

They are not paying developers. They are providing them with tools to make programming aspects of the game easier, ergo quicker games cost less to make. It just so happens that when the enhanced Nvidia code library can't work on a AMD card it reverts to some bypass or unoptimized code. Basically, the underlying library for non-Nvidia cards is ****e. Since they don't care about it. And their code is proprietary, so you can't fix it yourself.

Maybe. I have noticed a lot of very biased reporting online though. The KitGuru debacle is an example of this.

No doubt AMD deserved some stick over some of their recent products but these reporters should be used to the cycle of things by now. Were they up in arms when Nvidia re-branded the 600 series to make the 700 series?

A lot of sites have been slamming AMD for re-branding some older cards when this is standard practice for both companies and completely ignoring the genuinely impressive Fury line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bloody hell I just seen there's another hitman movie

Why do they destroy cool gaming characters

A lot of sites have been slamming AMD for re-branding some older cards when this is standard practice for both companies and completely ignoring the genuinely impressive Fury line up.

The last thing I read about it was a person in the US had modified the drivers used in the new improved performance tests to provide the exact same tessellation improvements to the 280/290 cards seen in recent benchmarks in the new 300 series. In other words, it looks like they changed nothing with the new 300 series cards, absolutely nothing. And I say this as somebody who refuses to buy Nvidia products, that's really bad form to release gimped drivers to try justify a product refresh. My understanding is the 600/700 Nvidia release had some changes.
    glynf wrote: »
    I like this idea, I assume its possible to sync outlook 2013 to a server or a NAS? My inbox fills rapidly with lots of larger files (CAD), it would be great to back the pst somewhere else in case my laptop dies.

Can you link a guide to do this? I found a Microsoft one and it gave me a headache just looking at it...

Create a PST file, put it on the NAS folder and point Outlook at it. When you're in the house it connects. When you are out it doesn't. Set up Auto Archive for items(right clicking on a folder in Properties) that are over a specific age to move them into the PST. In the OP's case it should just copy.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    I've always found it a real pain to try and get anything coherent from a PST file, so I wouldn't be the first to recommend Outlook. That said, I don't have much experience doing anything like this.

Now it's been mentioned though, it would be a nice thing to have. Keeping an eye out for other suggestions. :)

It's a folder where mails are stored outside of the usual OST. Outlook 2013 can index it for search results, doesn't have the old cap of 2 gigs and doesn't corrupt PST's like 2007 and below. Older versions would ignore the mails unless specifically pointed at when searching, outlook 2013 requires you to click "search all" if it doesn't show up initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It's a folder where mails are stored outside of the usual OST. Outlook 2013 can index it for search results, doesn't have the old cap of 2 gigs and doesn't corrupt PST's like 2007 and below. Older versions would ignore the mails unless specifically pointed at when searching, outlook 2013 requires you to click "search all" if it doesn't show up initially.

That sounds like most of the old annoyances I had with Outlook have been fixed. Hmmm...

The last thing I read about it was a person in the US had modified the drivers used in the new improved performance tests to provide the exact same tessellation improvements to the 280/290 cards seen in recent benchmarks in the new 300 series. In other words, it looks like they changed nothing with the new 300 series cards, absolutely nothing. And I say this as somebody who refuses to buy Nvidia products, that's really bad form to release gimped drivers to try justify a product refresh. My understanding is the 600/700 Nvidia release had some changes.

The only change I remember was the 770 getting 3gb of Vram instead of the 2gb on the 670.

Most of the improvements seem to be driver based but there are improvements in power consumption as well. There is no doubt that it is a re-brand though.

I see the 390/390x being a relatively cheap crossfire option for 4k. AMD seemed to be marketing it towards that at their E3 event as well. AMD just need to update their crossfire drivers more so people aren't waiting weeks after new releases to get crossfire support.

I'm not too bothered about the 300 series refresh anyway. It's the Fury line I'm interested in. These are the cards that will be competing with Maxwell. Not the 300 line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

When the new Fury X line comes out I am half tempted to upgrade my gfx card setup.. again :p Running SLI GTX 970s at the moment so should be interesting to see some official benchmarks when it hits the market.

• Advertisement

Danger781 wrote: »
    When the new Fury X line comes out I am half tempted to upgrade my gfx card setup.. again :p Running SLI GTX 970s at the moment so should be interesting to see some official benchmarks when it hits the market.

Seems pretty meaty already, what resolution/refresh are you running? AMD's crossfire support isn't great and 4gb of memory, HBM or not, isn't really enough for 4k in the future so I don't know. A single Fury X should be great for the 144hz 2560x1440 IPS FreeSync monitors that are starting to show up. Maybe even the 3440x1440 21:9 75hz ones.

The NDA for reviews and benchmarks of the Fury is up in a few hours but some benchmarks have appeared online. I'm not sure how authentic they are but it looks promising if the price is right.

http://www.digitalstorm.com/unlocked/amd-fury-x-performance-benchmarks-idnum360/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Seems pretty meaty already, what resolution/refresh are you running?

The NDA for reviews and benchmarks of the Fury is up in a few hours but some benchmarks have appeared online. I'm not sure how authentic they are but it looks promising if the price is right.

http://www.digitalstorm.com/unlocked/amd-fury-x-performance-benchmarks-idnum360/

At 1pm there going on sale at ocuk.Going to be about £650 as there short of stock but you can also pre-order for about £550 and wait for stock.Robbing/price gouging at its finest grrr :mad:

We should see more legit benches at 1pm hopefully.

Yeah the supply is supposed to be limited. It explains the staggered launch as well. Retailers are going to put a big mark up on these.

Do AMD sell direct anywhere? The 3rd party's can't change anything except clocks on the Fury-X anyway so no problems going with an oem for this.

It might be worth waiting for the cheaper Fury since they have free reign to change the board design and cooling which might push some of them ahead of Fury-X performance for less much like the 980ti and titan-X.

Wow £649 now or £509 pre order ete 17/07 thats some mark up at ocuk.
    Scan have them at £519 and a "call for price" pre order.Fair play for not gouging.

Edit:scan out of stock already.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still no word on the air cooled fury yet from the looks of it.I think Amd said its release is the 14th of july.

Thats the one i want as i dont want to pay for an Aio cooler and take it of to fit a block from Ek.

Must resist urge to pre order one in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I see overclockers.co.uk have dropped the price of their 980Ti to £509 for the week

Disappointing to say the least. If this had matched 980ti performance it would have been amazing with the cooler. I'd like to see overclocking results though.

The 980ti still looks the better option if prices are close and you care about performance more than noise. The overclocked third party 980ti's are a good bit ahead.
    Squaredude wrote: »
    I see overclockers.co.uk have dropped the price of their 980Ti to £509 for the week

You can get the gigabyte G1 980ti on hardwareversand for the same price with a geizhals discount.

-edit-

Guru 3d have a more detailed analysis and it looks a lot closer there. Fury ahead in some, 980ti in others. 1080p benchmarks are irrelevant for these cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_review,1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iv given up playing Batman Arkham Knight its just to far broken

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement