Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

My card has a DP but my monitor doesn't I believe.
    edit:Checked online and maybe it does actually, need to confirm by actually looking for one. If there is, is Display port my best option then?

I hear ya Bloodbath but unfortunately I can't always play loud in my house so I haven't thought about speakers yet. Headphones on the other hand I have thought about headphones, but from previous experience I don't like headphones. Due to much discomfort even after very short period of times. Haven't tried many headphones, but seems to be the same issue with the ones I have tried. Plus I don't have the funds for something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Get an open ear, circumaural pair.

I've Sennheiser HD598s, no good on a tight budget but an example, I forget I'm wearing them after a few minutes. Sometimes I put them on because my ears are cold :o

It's not my ear, but behind it where you can feel the skull, that's where it gets kinda sore. I will look in to headphones a bit more, as I'm sure there is ones to suit my needs. But first I must get a mechanical keyboard.

The Sennheiser look great, I've seen them before, and I really like the sound of velour however I don't feel like spending so much on headphones if I don't use them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Outlook 2013 archived monthly into a pst stored on synced cloud folder with a IMAP connection to gmail. It may anger some open source enthusiasts, but its such a good email and calendar client.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    I've always found it a real pain to try and get anything coherent from a PST file, so I wouldn't be the first to recommend Outlook. That said, I don't have much experience doing anything like this.

Now it's been mentioned though, it would be a nice thing to have. Keeping an eye out for other suggestions. :)
    Create a PST file, put it on the NAS folder and point Outlook at it. When you're in the house it connects. When you are out it doesn't. Set up Auto Archive for items(right clicking on a folder in Properties) that are over a specific age to move them into the PST. In the OP's case it should just copy.

It's a folder where mails are stored outside of the usual OST. Outlook 2013 can index it for search results, doesn't have the old cap of 2 gigs and doesn't corrupt PST's like 2007 and below. Older versions would ignore the mails unless specifically pointed at when searching, outlook 2013 requires you to click "search all" if it doesn't show up initially.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    That sounds like most of the old annoyances I had with Outlook have been fixed. Hmmm...

So exporting 47k mails (2.3GB) from the old WLM install was slooooooow. Windows really didnt like trying to copy that directory afterwards.

Outlook is ok, but I've never considered it "light" by any means. Have to use it in the office and it suits that role ok its not something Id ever really think of running on the NAS just as a backup. The smaller the footprint the better. The machine is 08R2 and has no MSoffice related files installed currently.

As Thunderbird was installed already I said sure lets try it. Import again was slow as hell, but ran smoothly once it completed. The only thing missing is seeing labels. If I used IMAP they should work, but I really want a "unidirectional dump" vs a sync'd copy, gmail already is that in and of itself. Its stored on an SSD and is quickly searchable. Good enough sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Not sure if this is the best thread to be asking about this - You can point me in the right direction if I would be better served elsewhere.

I recently set up a NAS using unRAID 6 and I wanted to begin organising all my media. I downloaded a docker container called Sonarr which is automatically reading my RSS subscription and grabbing new torrents as they come available. Deluge downloads these torrents to a folder named /TorrentDownloads. I then have Sonarr reading from this folder and setting up hard links to /Series/<SeriesName>/Season. I think I may have misunderstood how hard links work. I was under the impression that the file would be downloaded to /TorrentDownloads and then a shortcut of sorts would be set up in the /Series directory to point to this. However what it appears is happening is that the file is being stored twice. Obviously this isn't ideal.

What are my options for ensuring that my torrent client remains seeding while my media organiser can do its thing?

EDIT: I was thinking of symlinks / softlinks. This is the type of functionality I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

big unraid fan here :)

are you 100% its not working? the concept of hardlinks is a little funny alright, and distinguishing between a copy and a hardlink isnt entirely obvious

I know hardlinks must be on the same volume, but I think it should fall back to just making a soft link (ln -s) rather then a copy.. but im not 100%- I dont use links for torrents myself

Wossack wrote: »
    big unraid fan here :)

are you 100% its not working? the concept of hardlinks is a little funny alright, and distinguishing between a copy and a hardlink isnt entirely obvious

I know hardlinks must be on the same volume, but I think it should fall back to just making a soft link (ln -s) rather then a copy.. but im not 100%- I dont use links for torrents myself

Yep I'm fairly positive. I have the drive mapped to my windows desktop for easy transfer of files and what not. Was watching the available capacity decrease while Sonarr was doing its thing. I'll download something in a bit and double check.

Might be that windows aint able to account for hardlinks in its capacity calculations..?

compare the inode value via an ssh session would be best bet imo

ls -i /downloads/unsorted.avi
    vs
    ls -i /series/Sorted/Season 01/unsorted s01e01.avi

etc

Wossack wrote: »
    Might be that windows aint able to account for hardlinks in its capacity calculations..?

compare the inode value via an ssh session would be best bet imo

ls -i /downloads/unsorted.avi
    vs
    ls -i /series/Sorted/Season 01/unsorted s01e01.avi

etc

I assume they should have the same inode value?

yea, if theyve the same inode, they're effectively pointing at the same underlying data

can see how many hardlinks a file has by running 'ls -l' in a directory - the second column in that output is the count of hardlinks for that file

• Advertisement

Okay cool. I'll take a look with this new download. Definitely have hard links enabled now - I was experimenting earlier. Current free space is 227GB which should drop to 207GB when all is done assuming Windows isn't messing up. I'll then check the inode values and check the ls output.

Does anyone have any benchmarks for their single gtx970s in Uningine Valley?

Read something crappy yesterday and it has me kinda disappointed. So apparently the z97s krait mobo by MSI, is very weak, supposedly it actually affects frame rate in games quite a bit. Upon reading some stuff online and reading the OCUK review, I'm kinda down by this. I researched every part of my build bar the motherboard because I was under the impression that, they have little or no affect on the frame rates of games. So I said grand I'll just get this pretty one to suit my build. Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Has anyone ordered an office/gaming chair off of Amazon or Ebay?

Looking at some of the ones on there at the moment that look to be big upgrades over my crappy cheap argos one that has about 2mm of foam left under my ass. Not comfortable.

These look a bargain but ebay has no reviews so I have no clue what the quality is like but they look great. Would go great with a NZXT H440, W+B or R+B.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Brand-New-Designed-Racing-Sport-Gaming-Swivel-Office-chair-/261941403108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cfcec9de4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I'd save up a bit extra and get a Markus http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20103101/ from IKEA , I recently got one and it's the business, very comfy. 10year warranty too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any benchmarks for their single gtx970s in Uningine Valley?

Read something crappy yesterday and it has me kinda disappointed. So apparently the z97s krait mobo by MSI, is very weak, supposedly it actually affects frame rate in games quite a bit. Upon reading some stuff online and reading the OCUK review, I'm kinda down by this. I researched every part of my build bar the motherboard because I was under the impression that, they have little or no affect on the frame rates of games. So I said grand I'll just get this pretty one to suit my build. Silly me.
    It's unlikely. Only thing I can think of is making sure the card is in the right PCI lane. Google any GTX 970 and most will have heaven or valley bench results.

Min frames are affected by the CPU, so as long as you're in the same ballpark you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

BloodBath wrote: »

Decent price and they look sturdy but i'd rather go for a non gaming model from the same seller like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Executive-ExtraPadded-Black-Brown-Office-Chair-Recline-Function-/271784718204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item84db290549

I had around 44-46 average on max everything at 2560x1080

And 57 at max everything on 1920x1080p
    I believe that's what it is meant to be. Still kinda dissapointed after reading those reviews.

I think I should overclock my card to try get at least 50fps at native resolution

papu wrote: »
    I'd save up a bit extra and get a Markus http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20103101/ from IKEA , I recently got one and it's the business, very comfy. 10year warranty too

Thanks, I was looking at that too.
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    Decent price and they look sturdy but i'd rather go for a non gaming model from the same seller like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Executive-ExtraPadded-Black-Brown-Office-Chair-Recline-Function-/271784718204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item84db290549

Thanks, that link is not working for me though. NM, it's working now, worth considering alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Markus user here for four years. Incredible chair and obviously the 10 year warranty is brilliant.

Mate was 8 years into his, and the gas pump failed which meant the chair just constantly was at its lowest height. Replaced with no fuss from IKEA (not sure if that qualifies him for a brand new 10 year warranty, think he has the original length of warranty from purchase)

I've sat in a few of the Dx-Racers and while nice, wouldn't fork out the extra €100 for it. Markus range comes in loads of colours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Looking at some of the ones on there at the moment that look to be big upgrades over my crappy cheap argos one that has about 2mm of foam left under my ass. Not comfortable.

These look a bargain but ebay has no reviews so I have no clue what the quality is like but they look great. Would go great with a NZXT H440, W+B or R+B.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Brand-New-Designed-Racing-Sport-Gaming-Swivel-Office-chair-/261941403108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cfcec9de4

Some assembly required - thimble supplied :pac:

Seriously though would definitely look up reviews for comfort, back support etc. as always presumed these type of "racing" office chairs just sold on the sleek styling, targeting a certain market.

I have an ikea markus (i think), its only for the home office/games, so would never spend more than a couple of hours in it, but never any discomfort etc. afterwards. It was recommended to me by somebody who uses all day 5-6 days a week so thats a thorough testing!

If doing 8 hours a day in a chair consider one you can try out in a shop somewhere.

• Advertisement

+1 on the IKEA Markus, bought it a few months back and haven't had a single doubt since then.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Okay cool. I'll take a look with this new download. Definitely have hard links enabled now - I was experimenting earlier. Current free space is 227GB which should drop to 207GB when all is done assuming Windows isn't messing up. I'll then check the inode values and check the ls output.

As suspected my space has dropped to 186GB in Windows. Meaning the files were duplicated. SSH session confirmed this as well it seems.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/TorrentDownloads# ls -l
    drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody users 4096 Jun 26 15:30 Season 4/

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/TorrentDownloads# ls -i
    4350780842 Episode 1.mkv

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/Series/<Series Name>/Season 4# ls -i
    6633499639 Episode 1.mkv

Lot's of votes for the Markus then. I'm a sucker for looks and a bargain though. I found reviews for the chair I linked on Amazon and they are generally good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brand-Designed-Racing-Swivel-Office/dp/B00KY055GU

I have no doubt the Markus would be the more comfortable higher quality chair though so I'll probably join the bandwagon.

I'm finally getting around to replacing all the things I cheaped out on so I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Next up is headphones. Budget of around €100 give or take a few bob. Any recommendations? Mainly for gaming and general PC use.

These seem to fit the bill. Kingston HyperX Cloud II. Has anyone got them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So now that the dust has settled, more or less, what's the best solution for 1440p(60hz at the moment, more later)?

Still don't think 4k performance is up to snuff yet on one card so 1440p is the benchmark as far as I'm concerned.

Fury X while waiting for DX12/ Vulkan / Drivers bumping it up?

The safe 980ti bet?

Is a 980 or a 390x good enough on it's own?

Dual 390s?

Dual 970s?

295x2? It's on sale for £530 at the moment on OCUK.

I've wanted to upgrade my 7950 for about a year now, and no matter what I get it'll be a big jump.
    I feel like everyone's cards are pretty much on the table - can't see the Fury doing much if there's so little OC headroom.
    Might make the FuryX redundant if it's priced a lot lower, I suppose.

I'm in the same boat GBear. I was really hoping the Fury would make the perfect card for it but it's not the case.

I think a pair of 970's or a single 980ti is probably the best value option for high end 1440p at the moment.

There's also 3440x 1440 to consider. It's a lot easier to drive than 4k and is possible atm with a 980ti, probably a fury or a pair of 970's. It's only 5 megapixels compared to 8 on 4k.

It could be worth waiting for the standard Fury or Nano though. The 3rd party manufacturers will have free reign to make custom pcb's and coolers so we could see standard air cooled furys that rival fury-x performance and nanos that aren't far behind.

My chair actually makes me rage! It's a such an old piece of shhhh. Really want to get the Markus also, as it seems to get a lot of praise. Can't decide what first tho, chair keyboard or headphones + mic set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I must've lucked out with my herman miller aeron, I paid 250 quid for it last year or the year before can't remember, now I can only see ones from 350 to 650 on adverts/donedeal..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

980ti handles 1440p no problem, even in the new batman game getting 80-110 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm in the same boat GBear. I was really hoping the Fury would make the perfect card for it but it's not the case.

I think a pair of 970's or a single 980ti is probably the best value option for high end 1440p at the moment.

There's also 3440x 1440 to consider. It's a lot easier to drive than 4k and is possible atm with a 980ti, probably a fury or a pair of 970's. It's only 5 megapixels compared to 8 on 4k.

It could be worth waiting for the standard Fury or Nano though. The 3rd party manufacturers will have free reign to make custom pcb's and coolers so we could see standard air cooled furys that rival fury-x performance and nanos that aren't far behind.

Seems like a toss up between the 390 and 970s by themselves - similar performances and price.

The trick is probably how well they handle the dual-GPU problem, and NVIDIA have, as far as I know, a smoother experience in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

papu wrote: »

Hah, I bought one of those back in April, the orange one was a little garish so went with the black. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement