Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Gbear wrote: »
    Seems like a toss up between the 390 and 970s by themselves - similar performances and price.

The trick is probably how well they handle the dual-GPU problem, and NVIDIA have, as far as I know, a smoother experience in that regard.

AMD have acknowledged that they need to update their crossfire profiles more often. Whether they do or not remains to be seen.

If you buy a lot of triple A games at release you're better off going with SLI at the moment though. Nvidia updates their SLI drivers more often and usually have a driver ready to go on release day for Triple A titles.

You could avoid all of that by going with a single 980ti though while having 6gb of vram compared to 3.5 on the 970's. 3.5 is probably fine for 2560x1440. I'd like to have more for anything higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

So in terms of performance per € spent (or bangs for your buck), is the 970 still the best. And would a 980 be better than a 980ti in this regard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Like many of you, I was waiting for the Fury X launch before deciding on my build plans. I'm still a month or two away from buying parts, but if I was buying now, I'd go for the 980ti. Not sure what brand or model though.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    So in terms of performance per € spent (or bangs for your buck), is the 970 still the best. And would a 980 be better than a 980ti in this regard?

You can get 970's for as little as €310 so I'd say it's still the best value along with the 290x.

I think the 980 is the worst value of the entire line. Min price of €500 with only a slight improvement in performance over the 970/290x.

You would be better off going dual 970's or a single 980ti for a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

BloodBath wrote: »
    You can get 970's for as little as €310 so I'd say it's still the best value along with the 290x.

The 390 is pretty much the same price and performance.

The 970 trades a small bit of performance for £10, slightly better noise levels and better energy efficiency (and therefore better overclocking).

It's a bit of a coin toss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I must've lucked out with my herman miller aeron, I paid 250 quid for it last year or the year before can't remember, now I can only see ones from 350 to 650 on adverts/donedeal..!

I'm considering getting one of these as I have a bad back. Are they really worth the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yes, they're great for a dodgy back, but get the lumbar support. I had one but sold it as I was used to a headrest, planned on an after market unofficial headrest from US but it was working out over 200...for a damn headrest. Great if you are happy without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Couldn't recommend it highly enough. I was getting a sore back from my old chair but haven't had a problem since switching. I don't have the lumbar support or any kind of headrest and it's great, I haven't tried either options but this is so comfortable I'm not really bothered trying anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I must've lucked out with my herman miller aeron, I paid 250 quid for it last year or the year before can't remember, now I can only see ones from 350 to 650 on adverts/donedeal..!

Don't they retail for about 1k new? I've had one in work for the last 7 years, great chairs. Near indestructible as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Don't they retail for about 1k new? I've had one in work for the last 7 years, great chairs. Near indestructible as well.

yep, it's crazy money but it's definitely a thousand euro worth of chair. they come with a 14 year warranty or something very long, i'd say with normal use it would be more like 20 years before it would have to be replaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Danger781 wrote: »
    As suspected my space has dropped to 186GB in Windows. Meaning the files were duplicated. SSH session confirmed this as well it seems.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/TorrentDownloads# ls -l
    drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody users 4096 Jun 26 15:30 Season 4/

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/TorrentDownloads# ls -i
    4350780842 Episode 1.mkv

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/Series/<Series Name>/Season 4# ls -i
    6633499639 Episode 1.mkv

Asked about this on the lime-tech forums and one of the members over there said he can't think of any way to get this working while keeping the torrents seeding. Which sucks. Guess I need to manually have the torrents recheck in the new location before my drives get too full.

Which also means I need to change my torrent client. Deluge doesn't have any option, as far as I can see, for changing folder names or file names in a torrent. I could do this with qBittorrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Dair76 wrote: »
    I'm not liking that the MG279Q doesn't support Freesync above 90Hz.
    Dair76 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I had been lead to believe it was a limitation of the chosen scaler rather than the panel itself. Must read more.

So I did do a little more reading, and it seems it must be a limitation of either FreeSync itself, or the scaler Asus are using for the monitor.

The Acer XB270HU (GSync) and Asus MG279Q (FreeSync) are using the exact same panel (AU Optronics M270DAN02.3), but the GSync's scaler, which is the Nvidia made hardware that helps bump up the price, has a variable refresh rate range of 30-144Hz. The FreeSync model though has a scaler that can only produce variable refresh rates between 35 and 90Hz. I did see talk on another forum that suggested Asus could have used a scaler with a higher upper limit, but it would also have had a higher lower limit as well. They felt that 35Hz on the low-end would benefit more gamers than a range of 45-144Hz (or whatever the alternative was). I wasn't able to find a source for this tidbit though, so it could well be bollocks!

Anyway, just a bit of reading I did for my own curiosity more than anything. I've seen adaptive sync at play and (imo anyway) it's a game changer. But both solutions have their pros and cons, neither being perfect. As someone who's brand agnostic when it comes to GPUs, it's annoying to think of being stuck with one vendor for the lifetime of your monitor. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Squaredude wrote: »
    980ti handles 1440p no problem, even in the new batman game getting 80-110 fps.

I thought there was some controversy that the PC version of the new batman game was locked to 30 FPS ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I thought there was some controversy that the PC version of the new batman game was locked to 30 FPS ? :confused:

You can edit it in the ini file. Loads of people claimed that lead to frequent crashes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

Danger781 wrote: »
    Asked about this on the lime-tech forums and one of the members over there said he can't think of any way to get this working while keeping the torrents seeding. Which sucks. Guess I need to manually have the torrents recheck in the new location before my drives get too full.

Which also means I need to change my torrent client. Deluge doesn't have any option, as far as I can see, for changing folder names or file names in a torrent. I could do this with qBittorrent.

ah bummer - yea the forums are best bet, as you'll get the guys who made the dockers in the first place

I know theres a limitation that the hardlink has to remain on the same physical volume, so maybe thats the issue (?). Confused as by your first .mkv having a link count of 2 however! Dunno..

RE other torrent dockers, im using tranmission at the moment, but heard good things about rtorrent either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Wossack wrote: »
    RE other torrent dockers, im using tranmission at the moment, but heard good things about rtorrent either

Yeah just tried Transmission - It does exactly what I need in terms of renaming so I will be swapping over to that. Very minimal interface as well which is nice. For now it seems my only option is to allow Sonarr to continue it's thing and I can just manually sort the torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I think the 980 is the worst value of the entire line. Min price of €500 with only a slight improvement in performance over the 970/290x.

You would be better off going dual 970's or a single 980ti for a little more.

Where can you buy GTX970 for 310€?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iv finally done it

Went ahead and bought the Samsung S34E790C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

twinsen wrote: »
    I would keep an eye on hotukdeals website for 970 deals. If there's a deal on them they will always be listed there.

I got my Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce for €313 from Amazon.it back in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Headshot wrote: »
    Iv finally done it

What card are you using to run such a beast?

• Advertisement

980 TI and then down the line another 980 TI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Iv finally done it

Let us know what you think of it as I want to replace my eyefinity setup with one of thes

twinsen wrote: »

Geizhals.de has one for that price with the discount. Granted it's the mini Gigabyte one but it's still a GTX 970 for €310. You will pay delivery on top of that as well.
    Iv finally done it

Would love one, can't bring myself to spend that kind of money yet though. Does that have G-Sync support? It would want it for that price. Only 60hz as well? There are 75hz versions.

deceit wrote: »
    Let us know what you think of it as I want to replace my eyefinity setup with one of thes

I will.

Would love one, can't bring myself to spend that kind of money yet though. Does that have G-Sync support? It would want it for that price. Only 60hz as well? There are 75hz versions.

I know its alot of money and im a wee bit nervous but im getting it from amazon which is a tad dearer but I will have no issues with returns if I dont like it.

No G-Sync but at the moment im not bothered about it. I dont think there's G sync 4k and is higher than 60hz but I could be wrong. what 75hz are you referring to?

I decided to go for VA because I shouldn't have BLB or IPS Glow. Iv been burnt before with those IPS AOC 34" and the BLB.

I will.

I know its alot of money and im a wee bit nervous but im getting it from amazon which is a tad dearer but I will have no issues with returns if I dont like it.

No G-Sync but at the moment im not bothered about it. I dont think there's G sync 4k and is higher than 60hz but I could be wrong. what 75hz are you referring to?

I decided to go for VA because I shouldn't have BLB or IPS Glow. Iv been burnt before with those IPS AOC 34" and the BLB.

Ah I thought they were out already. Acer and Asus have G-Sync, 75hz+ models on the way. They will probably cost a little bit more.

I haven't used a VA panel yet. How do they hold up?

All well and good but poor viewing angles and 34" ultrawide is not really a good mix imo although it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as TN in that regard.

A single 980ti should run 1 of these just fine though. 3440x1440 is only 5 megapixels, 4k is 8mp.

Your not going have poor viewing angles directly infront of the screen tbh

Yes a 980TI will run it but I intend to run everything on Ultra and another 980ti is needed

Iv already experience 34" 21:9 and its just brilliant.

You're probably right.

Did you find some 3440 x 1440 benchmarks online? There's not many around at that resolution.

Would love to make the leap but €1500 is a bit steep atm. If I can get a card and monitor for around a €1000-1200 I'm all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Just ordered some Superlux 668B headphones. They seem to get a lot of praise and are very cheap so I decide to go for it, with some velour ear pads for extra comfort.
    Need to get a mic also, so just doing a bit of research before I commit.

Anyone know what OHM does on board audio have on z97 motherboards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement