Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I think most decent boards have 600 Ohm support.

Here's one hopefully someone can help with:

Looking for a program to auto-convert files if dropped in a certain folder.

I'm looking for something that'll let me convert stupid-big files to something smaller quickly and easily for transfer to a phone, tablet, or similar. Anyone know anything? I know I could use Handbrake or MKVMerge or something, but that's not necessarily nice for picking and choosing random bits all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

For Audio, the open-source Free Audio Converter is very handy, https://www.freac.org/
    You can drag and drop a bunch of files into the window, and it'll put them in the root Music folder (or wherever you want).
    There are some nifty additional encoding options if needed such as; delete original file after encoding, encode to single file.. stuff like that.
    The free LAME MP3 codec might be needed, from here; http://lame.sourceforge.net/

For Video, the batch function in Handbrake is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Just ordered some Superlux 668B headphones. They seem to get a lot of praise and are very cheap so I decide to go for it, with some velour ear pads for extra comfort.
    Need to get a mic also, so just doing a bit of research before I commit.

Anyone know what OHM does on board audio have on z97 motherboards?

Where did you order the velour for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Just looking at HWVS and amazon, you can get a sapphire r9 295x2 for the about the same price as a gtx 980 ti.

Which is the better deal, the 295x2 has 8gb of ram compared to 6gb for the 980ti?

I know the amd one is a dual card so most would probably have to upgrade their PSU. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Single card setups are better. If there was a card as powerful as the twin 295x2 it would be some card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Just looking at HWVS and amazon, you can get a sapphire r9 295x2 for the about the same price as a gtx 980 ti.

Which is the better deal, the 295x2 has 8gb of ram compared to 6gb for the 980ti?

I know the amd one is a dual card so most would probably have to upgrade their PSU. :)

There's one on OCUK as well.

You don't get 8GB of RAM. You get 4.
    Calling it 8 is marketing nonsense.

In Crossfire you only get the RAM of 1 card. It doesn't stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Gbear wrote: »
    There's one on OCUK as well.

You don't get 8GB of RAM. You get 4.
    Calling it 8 is marketing nonsense.

In Crossfire you only get the RAM of 1 card. It doesn't stack.

So, it's a sort of marketing scam, similar to the way 970s were advertised as having 4GBs and not 3.5 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    So, it's a sort of marketing scam, similar to the way 970s were advertised as having 4GBs and not 3.5 :D

Well it has got 8gb of ram in it and it uses it. So its not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Danger781 wrote: »
    Wossack wrote: »
    ah bummer - yea the forums are best bet, as you'll get the guys who made the dockers in the first place

I know theres a limitation that the hardlink has to remain on the same physical volume, so maybe thats the issue (?). Confused as by your first .mkv having a link count of 2 however! Dunno..

RE other torrent dockers, im using tranmission at the moment, but heard good things about rtorrent either

Yeah just tried Transmission - It does exactly what I need in terms of renaming so I will be swapping over to that. Very minimal interface as well which is nice. For now it seems my only option is to allow Sonarr to continue it's thing and I can just manually sort the torrents.

I have got it working almost how I want now after much fiddling! :) It's a bit of a messy solution but it works and still requires some manual intervention. I have Sonarr using Deluge as the download client. Deluge automatically downloads the torrent to /TorrentDownloads and also places a copy of the .torrent file in this folder. As soon as the download has completed the torrent is automatically removed from Deluge.

I also have Tranmission set up as separate container. In the Docker config in unRAID you can set up variables for the docker. One of these variables is watch-dir-enabled which will automatically watch the /downloads dir in Tranmssion (Which is set to /TorrentDownloads). So as soon as Deluge adds the torrent it is also added to Transmission in a paused state.

Finally there is a setting in Sonarr to auto-remove completed downloads and setup a drone folder. I'm not sure which setting does this but once the file has been imported via Sonarr it is deleted from the /TorrentDownloads folder. No more duplicates!

All that is left for me is to open Transmission, set the appropriate name and directory for the torrent and resume it for seeding :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well it has got 8gb of ram in it and it uses it. So its not a scam.

It's not far off though. The packaging and sales pitch of such cards are designed imply that the product can fully utilize 8GB of vram.

Technically it can but in a stacked 2x4 configuration...I don't seem them altering product boxes to say "2x4GB!" anytime soon though.

It's similar to marketing lower end cards like GT740's and R7 250's with 4GB of Ram - technically the card can use all that vram but any game that's using up 4GB of vram on such a card is going to run like a slideshow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Are Zotac a good GPU brand? Most folks online say they are decent but just wanted to get some opinions here before I considered my new GPU purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Just looking at the benq XL2730Z monitor in bargain alerts.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-077-BQ

Isnt the original orice of £489 a bit crazy for a TN Panel?

Can a TN Panel actually look that good?

After buying an LG 1080p monitor many years ago i swear I'd never buy TN again.

The contrast and colour is just just shocking compared to IPS.

I especially hate laptops with cheap panels too that arent IPS. theyre so pale looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All TN panels are not the same. Linus & Logan have covered some good TNs that really perform well. They dont have the same oversaturated blacks of IPS, but very very usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Cravez wrote: »
    Are Zotac a good GPU brand? Most folks online say they are decent but just wanted to get some opinions here before I considered my new GPU purchase.

My Reference GTX 970 is a Zotac card. Runs like a dream and haven't had any issues at all. Highly advise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just ordered this SanDisk SSD for the other half's aging PC. Anyone got a handy dandy guide to re-installing the OS on it?

Or better yet, would it be possible to just leave it there and install the Windows 10 update directly on to it when it's available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Just ordered this SanDisk SSD for the other half's aging PC. Anyone got a handy dandy guide to re-installing the OS on it?

Or better yet, would it be possible to just leave it there and install the Windows 10 update directly on to it when it's available?

I use clonezilla live CD to clone the OS across

I spilled a cup of tea on my mechanical keyboard.

I tried leaving it sit upside down in the windowsill for a few days to dry out but half the QWERTYUIOP line doesn't work anymore (and possibly some other keys).

Any salvaging it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I tried leaving it sit upside down in the windowsill for a few days to dry out but half the QWERTYUIOP line doesn't work anymore (and possibly some other keys).

Any salvaging it?

Stick it in a bag of rice for a day or two to fully dry out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Any salvaging it?

Was there sugar in the tea? If so it will make it all sticky and harder to dry out.

• Advertisement

Don't suppose rewashing it with water is a bad idea. If its still scrap after drying you could try desoldering a working key, and out it in place of a broken to test that

Was there sugar in the tea? If so it will make it all sticky and harder to dry out.

No.

No milk either.

Just black tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Take it apart>clean it> dry it> profit???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Might wanna ask over at /r/MechanicalKeyboards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Cravez wrote:

I have a Zotac Gtx 760 and runs absolutely perfect, no problems with it. I have it nearly a year and my friend the original owner a year before that. Came with a 5 year warranty too.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Might wanna ask over at /r/MechanicalKeyboards

Found this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1mid29/update_tea_spilled_on_keyboard

I'll give that a go.

He even had it plugged in and out a few times so hopefully mine isn't screwed.

IS there any decent alternate to buying compressed air to clean out my PC?

marko93 wrote: »

I take everything out and brush it down to remove dust. If you'd a small compressor that'd do either

I take everything out and brush it down to remove dust. If you'd a small compressor that'd do either

I think a thermal pasting is due on the CPU and maybe the GPU so I'll give that a bash.

Time to look into a small compressor though, thanks ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

marko93 wrote: »

Theres the Datavac ED500, but at £85 it`s quite pricey consider the U.S. version goes for $60.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datavac-Electric-Duster-ED-500-220-240V/dp/B003BZCOKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435604960&sr=8-1&keywords=ed500

A lot of people worry that a static charge will build up from the dust blowing around, and could destroy your motherboard.

But a good few people on overclockers.co.uk bought them and there has yet to be 1 report of a motherboard failing after cleaning it with one.

Its a gadget I`d love to own someday but can`t justify the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement