Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Speak of the devil and all that, after recently saying I couldn't find any more herman miller aerons...

C0DDECB842E94500861AB5CB8A675784-0000355618-0003774687-00500L-FDDB8A8BF96543F0A37C8B4C8B669D53.jpg

€375 for the pair. Could've knocked him down on price a bit more but he was nice and I picked the best two so it wasn't worth haggling over a few more quid

Both have the extra lumbar and the extra 15 degrees lock and all extras bar the deep carpet wheels. would've probably cost a grand new.. each!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Speak of the devil and all that, after recently saying I couldn't find any more herman miller aerons...

C0DDECB842E94500861AB5CB8A675784-0000355618-0003774687-00500L-FDDB8A8BF96543F0A37C8B4C8B669D53.jpg

€375 for the pair. Could've knocked him down on price a bit more but he was nice and I picked the best two so it wasn't worth haggling over a few more quid

Both have the extra lumbar and the extra 15 degrees lock and all extras bar the deep carpet wheels. would've probably cost a grand new.. each!

That's class! Was he selling anymore?

Fakman87 wrote: »
    That's class! Was he selling anymore?

he had someone coming later in the day picking up 19! I think that's all he had, he was keeping a few for himself to sell on at a higher price, I caught him a bit off guard I think as he had them relisted for 300 each after we agreed a price.

He had a few lemons too, only I tried nearly all 30~ of them I could've come home a bit disappointed, wouldn't be the kind of thing you could buy second hand without trying out I'd say. I got two very good condition ones, I'd say they were sat in about 50 times since new. Bit of dirt on them from whatever storage they were in.

His ad is gone now, I'd link it otherwise. I'm sure he'll have a few for sale soon though of the ones he kept. Or the guy who bought 19 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Oh man! that is such a good deal. I'm getting so paranoid about my back lately. Was thinking of getting the IKEA Markus, but if these pop up at a decent price I'm definitely gonna snap one up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

if you're getting paranoid about your back you oughta be trying to sit less, not buy fancier chairs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

strelok wrote: »
    if you're getting paranoid about your back you oughta be trying to sit less, not buy fancier chairs :)
    I don't actually sit that much. I sit when I game, and I sit a lot of the time in college, when September comes I plan on using a standing desk in college whenever possible.

My chair at home was passed down to me, and it once may have been a great chair, but it doesn't work anymore and I often find myself sitting awkwardly which is why I'm paranoid about my back.

Don't worry about the fancy chair haters, it takes about 15 seconds on any kind of proper chair to change their mind :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Don't worry about the fancy chair haters, it takes about 15 seconds on any kind of proper chair to change their mind :cool:

when the revolution comes, those with proper lumbar support will be first against the wall

when the revolution comes, those with proper lumbar support will be first against the wall

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Not if the wall doesn't have proper lumbar support....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

glynf wrote: »
    Not if the wall doesn't have proper lumbar support....

Or proper reclining action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Or proper reclining action.

Or adjustable arm rests

or a place for my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

All you have to do is not be able to stand. They will get you a chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I realise this is comparable to asking how long is a piece of string, but..

How much is 'too much' to invest in a new setup? Looking at a complete overhaul next year of my whole system so trying to gauge how much I should be setting aside. Don't want something totally ridiculous like a Quad Titan X setup, but something good enough for 1440p @ 144hz (At least, maybe higher res).

With or without water cooling. I haven't decided yet on that.

Edit: Just to clarify I am talking overkill within reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1.7K to 2K. As a good monitor would cost a fair bit and also a good graphics card or two to run the 144Hz high resolution monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Would probably be fine with a reasonable 1k-1.5k depending on what you already have or how mad you want to go.

Edit: Probably being too conservative. If you want a max, don't go above 2k anyway. Water cooling might be a sqeeze to fit in that budget depending how high end you go graphics wise. Someone with experience would be best to answer this but I want an answer too, how much does a water cooling kit cost approx in total? Pipes, reservoir, pump, waterblocks, connections etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im having mixed thoughts on the monitor. I need to sit down at the weekend and really have a good gaming length

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1440p at 144hz you're looking at a 980Ti for even high settings I'd say

Money wise at least €2000 for the PC and monitor, and whatever a watercooling kit costs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

1440p at 144hz you're looking at a 980Ti for even high settings I'd say

Money wise at least €2000 for the PC and monitor, and whatever a watercooling kit costs

Nah, I'm running Witcher 3 and GTAV with a reference GTX 970 and an Asus ROG Swift at 1440p and 144hz. Very very rarely dip below 60 fps and tend to maintain 80fps or so.

The 970 doesn't get the credit it deserves after the 3.5gb fiasco

edit:
    Sorry Digital, only had some DDR2 ram laying around the place sadly.

• Advertisement

Id assume if you're splashing on a 144hz monitor youd be aiming for at least a fps of 100 to take advantage of it?

Or maybe I don't understand refresh rate and fps

That's sound sonics, thanks anyways :)
    Anyone else got a stick or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Id assume if you're splashing on a 144hz monitor youd be aiming for at least a fps of 100 to take advantage of it?

Or maybe I don't understand refresh rate and fps

That's sound sonics, thanks anyways :)
    Anyone else got a stick or two?

It depends on the game so far.

In a game like WoW I'm constantly above 100fps, even with everything on Ultra and in the middle of a raid.

In Witcher 3 I tend to flow around the 70fps mark with settings in a mix of High and Ultra, but lowering the distance etc a bit will up it to the 100 mark.
    Honestly speaking, anything more seems like overkill compared to the cost of the GPU itself.

I was going to post that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    Im having mixed thoughts on the monitor. I need to sit down at the weekend and really have a good gaming length

Not a great sign when you come home and find the monitor wont turn on and no LED's.

I think this dead monitor has made up my mind to get a refund. The Samsung build quality was great I have to say and I love the monitor as a design point of view and the swivel is great.

The picture quality is great for every day things and work related. If your into your photo editing this would be a brilliant monitor to have.

Now for gaming im not so sure. I just wasnt blown away with it ya know. Its just not as vibrate as a IPS monitor. I was suprised by the black levels. I was expecting better.

I think its massively over priced for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

can any one recomend, a good pair of gaming head sets?

also i blame my girl friend she distracted me :mad:

What does that part mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

What does that part mean?

Distracted him from buying headset or gaming i'd imagine!

She distracted you in a good way or a bad way?

Budget? If you don't need a mic get a music pair would be my recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Siberia v2's. Light, durable, great sound quality, the most comfortable headphones out there and reasonable in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Headshot wrote: »
    Not a great sign when you come home and find the monitor wont turn on and no LED's.

I think this dead monitor has made up my mind to get a refund. The Samsung build quality was great I have to say and I love the monitor as a design point of view and the swivel is great.

The picture quality is great for every day things and work related. If your into your photo editing this would be a brilliant monitor to have.

Now for gaming im not so sure. I just wasnt blown away with it ya know. Its just not as vibrate as a IPS monitor. I was suprised by the black levels. I was expecting better.

I think its massively over priced for what it is
    Which monitor is this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement