Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

If I would have made so much money I would sell it too and just live my life surrounded by sluts, drugs, fast cars and alcohol.

That's the easy bit. After a few months or years of that, what would you do day to day then?
    Great quote all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Money change what people say.

Bull. You do know just how much money Notch was already swimming in, right? He already had orders of magnitude more than he knew what to do with before he sold Minecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Bull. You do know just how much money Notch was already swimming in, right? He already had orders of magnitude more than he knew what to do with before he sold Minecraft.

So? He got even more money and he does not need to do **** anymore. Just sign the paper take his favourite mug and go to whore house.

If I would be offered 2.5billion I would say what ever needed.

If someone offered you 2.5 billion, to do something you weren't really comfortable with, when you could already do or buy absolutely anything you wanted without a second thought, would you still do it?

Serephucus wrote: »
    If someone offered you 2.5 billion, to do something you weren't really comfortable with, when you could already do or buy absolutely anything you wanted without a second thought, would you still do it?

Yes. Keep in mind, its a "get free out of jail" card too.

He cant create anything good anymore and I dont think he even wants to. Its not only money, but its a way out for him too. Him and 2 more founders are leaving Mojang when sale is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Hopefully MS will continue their proud tradition of totally ignoring PC over the last decade or so and leave the game alone on that platform. Dont really care what they do with it on console but i would have to say it would be a shame if they made it exclusive to Xbox,which i think they eventually will.

Even if they just stopped updating the game on PC but allowed the community to still mod the game,that would be fine with me. Would also mean a never changing version so mods/tools would not have to be updated every few months.

Im skeptical but hope MS prove me wrong and do something great with the IP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd say it's a bargain. Minecraft is the 21st century lego and that company is worth way more. ($14.6b) I'm sure Microsoft see the huge potential for growth.

I'd say Notch can't believe his luck.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'd say it's a bargain. Minecraft is the 21st century lego and that company is worth way more. ($14.6b) I'm sure Microsoft see the huge potential for growth.

I'd say Notch can't believe his luck.

I wonder how much more money minecraft as a game will bring in. I guess fresh launch on next gen will do a trick. I bet that just pure licensing of minecraft name and franchise brings the major money.
    Other then minecraft Mojang has feck all to show for.
    Microsoft should now just fire all what's left of Mojang and hire all those PC moders. Those PC moders make a lot more content and a lot faster. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

MSI tease 970 and 980 cards.
    • Price: GTX 980 : 31-34k (£450-ish, $730), GTX 970 : 19-22k (£280-ish, $450)
    • Availability: "2-3 weeks maybe"
    • Designs: GTX980 "most likely" to be reference design only at launch time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Looks like the 980 is no where near the rumoured 20-30% performance increase over a 780ti, and that is indeed why they're called rumours.

Doesn't look worth the bother upgrading from 780's. The Titan style backplate looks good though, and 3 x DisplayPorts looks good for Gsync surround.

• Advertisement

glynf wrote: »
    Looks like the 980 is no where near the rumoured 20-30% performance increase over a 780ti, and that is indeed why they're called rumours.

Doesn't look worth the bother upgrading from 780's. The Titan style backplate looks good though, and 3 x DisplayPorts looks good for Gsync surround.

499$, so I guess we are looking at 500eu and 500-600eu for non reference ones in here. For lower then 780ti performance...

I still want to see some proper Benchmarks. I was thinking off 970, but by the looks of it its a waste of time and money with 680. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If the price is anything like that, they can get lost!

MSI tease 970 and 980 cards.
    • Price: GTX 980 : 31-34k (£450-ish, $730), GTX 970 : 19-22k (£280-ish, $450)
    • Availability: "2-3 weeks maybe"
    • Designs: GTX980 "most likely" to be reference design only at launch time

So 780ti is 380£ here and actually faster then 980.... So.... WTF NVIDIA?!

So 780ti is 380£ here and actually faster then 980.... So.... WTF NVIDIA?!

Might be worth holding out for the inevitable 980ti, you could always pick up a second 680 too..

Anyone running crossfire here? What's the driver support like these days?

Might be worth holding out for the inevitable 980ti, you could always pick up a second 680 too..

Anyone running crossfire here? What's the driver support like these days?

Im running CF not SlI though,not sure if you meant sli.

No issues except for early access games really. To be expected i suppose. Everything else runs fairly well and from what i can see scaling is decent in most and very good in other games. I dont think ive come across anything that has flat out refused to run with it and ive had CF for about a year and a half now

EoinHef wrote: »

No issues except for early access games really. To be expected i suppose. Everything else runs fairly well and from what i can see scaling is decent in most and very good in other games. I dont think ive come across anything that has flat out refused to run with it and ive had CF for about a year and a half now

Good to know. I meant crossfire, the way Nvidia pricing is going, next upgrade may be AMD.:)

I had Xfired 7970's and 6970's before that, had lots of grief with the woeful drivers, microstutter, poor eyefinity support etc. Thieving pricks Nvidia may be, but I find SLI way better, more polished-less issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Why are Nvidias european prices so awful.

AMD's are pretty close in the US and Europe. You can get an Asus CUII 780ti or MSI gaming on US amazon for €460 euro. The cheapest here is around 600.

EoinHef wrote: »

I would love to go 2x680, but its only 2gb ram. I will be planing high resolution, so no go for me. I actually will wait and see how will Red team react to Over priced nvidia. Maybe they will drop the price even more and 290x will be a lovely option.

I would love to go 2x680, but its only 2gb ram. I will be planing high resolution, so no go for me. I actually will wait and see how will Red team react to Over priced nvidia. Maybe they will drop the price even more and 290x will be a lovely option.

Yeah they seem quite pricey for not much of a performance gain. Ive no idea why team green and red are pushing 4k,none of the current lineup of single gpus get anywhere near being enough for it imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Folks, any recommendations for places to buy printer cartridges online?

• Advertisement

Depends on make/model, best top shop around. We have a bog standard cannon multifunction, sometimes the cartridges are cheaper online (amazon, printerinkcartridges.ie)-but I have gotten cheaper in Tesco's/PC world if they have them reduced. We also have a OKI Laser, best place I find to get toner is costpercopy.ie, and they are up in Blanchardstown so its handy for collection if stuck. I tend to use genuine cartridges as I never had any luck with refilled cartridges, they never last as long, crappy ink and the printer never see's them as full-so lots of bloody empty ink warning popups. I think Brother are one of the few manufacturers who don't uses chipped cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Moar leaks

TLDR:
    980 is 15.7% better than a 290X.
    980 is about 13% better than a 780Ti.
    Zotac 970 is about 1.5% better than an unnamed 290X.

As always, grain of salt is advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I dunno if its me but since the most recent catalyst controller update I've noticed a vast improvement in my 7950 it performs really well.

Good frames accross a few games dayz mod included and I can see why people use invidia but in a way is the gap not getting thinner?

eoin hef are you still running xfire 7950s? how do you find them?

I dunno if its me but since the most recent catalyst controller update I've noticed a vast improvement in my 7950 it performs really well.

Good frames accross a few games dayz mod included and I can see why people use invidia but in a way is the gap not getting thinner?

eoin hef are you still running xfire 7950s? how do you find them?

Yeah still got them in CF,no issues really. A few early access games dont like it and dont scale well or at all but other than that no issues. From what i can see most games scale well with some scaling very well. My only real criticism would be they can get noisy when ive a decent overclock on them for the more demanding games ie Arma,Star Citizen

Maxing most games at 1440p with them and at 1075/1500 core/memory clock the max temps im seeing are about 70C.

Not really seeing any stuttering/frametime issues either,unless again its an early access game or something

All in all quite happy with them:)

EDIT: Just to be clear the really demanding games(Arma,Crysis 3,Star Citizen)need to be set to high rather than ultra and reduce AA,the like of BF4,Bioshock,Dishonoured can be set to Ultra and keep the AA and still get 60fps. Just re read my post and thought i wasnt very clear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Depends on make/model, best top shop around. We have a bog standard cannon multifunction, sometimes the cartridges are cheaper online (amazon, printerinkcartridges.ie)-but I have gotten cheaper in Tesco's/PC world if they have them reduced. We also have a OKI Laser, best place I find to get toner is costpercopy.ie, and they are up in Blanchardstown so its handy for collection if stuck. I tend to use genuine cartridges as I never had any luck with refilled cartridges, they never last as long, crappy ink and the printer never see's them as full-so lots of bloody empty ink warning popups. I think Brother are one of the few manufacturers who don't uses chipped cartridges.

Thanks man, will shop around!

Stuck this up on the 'How much is my computer worth?' thread, said I would post it here as well to see what you all think;

Thinking of upgrading, so was looking for an idea of what the following is worth;

All parts 2 years old, all come with original boxes & receipts. Thanks.

BTW, FT02 is the non windowed version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Stuck this up on the 'How much is my computer worth?' thread, said I would post it here as well to see what you all think;

Thinking of upgrading, so was looking for an idea of what the following is worth;

All parts 2 years old, all come with original boxes & receipts. Thanks.

BTW, FT02 is the non windowed version.

well what do you think they're worth?

I reckon still very capable parts , probably todays selling price -15 to 25%

Not sure, hence the post, suppose I was thinking the following, give or take-and allowing for the usual adverts low balling:

2500K; €150
    Sabertooth Z77 €120
    G.Skill Ripjaws €50
    Silverstone FT02 Black €100
    Corsair H80 €50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Not sure, hence the post, suppose I was thinking the following, give or take-and allowing for the usual adverts low balling:

2500K; €150
    Sabertooth Z77 €120
    G.Skill Ripjaws €50
    Silverstone FT02 Black €100
    Corsair H80 €50

470 for the guts of a very oc'able med-high end rig is fair I think

• Advertisement

Semi-urgent one here lads.

Anyone in Dublin have a spare PSU? Girlfriend just got a 750 Ti and the craptastic "500W" unit can't handle it.

Have a new one on order, but there's a LAN at the weekend we had planned to go to.

Hopefully someone has something of use, should only need it for less than a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement