Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

glynf wrote: »
    Not sure, hence the post, suppose I was thinking the following, give or take-and allowing for the usual adverts low balling:

2500K; €150
    Sabertooth Z77 €120
    G.Skill Ripjaws €50
    Silverstone FT02 Black €100
    Corsair H80 €50

Thought to myself when I saw this post - would I have use for a second Fortress........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Serephucus wrote: »
    Semi-urgent one here lads.

Anyone in Dublin have a spare PSU? Girlfriend just got a 750 Ti and the craptastic "500W" unit can't handle it.

Have a new one on order, but there's a LAN at the weekend we had planned to go to.

Hopefully someone has something of use, should only need it for less than a week.

Have a 650W super flower unit here you could borrow no problem. Based in Blanchardstown if thats any use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

deejer wrote: »
    Thought to myself when I saw this post - would I have use for a second Fortress........

Yes, yes of course you would. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Moar leaks

TLDR:
    980 is 15.7% better than a 290X.
    980 is about 13% better than a 780Ti.
    Zotac 970 is about 1.5% better than an unnamed 290X.

As always, grain of salt is advised.

Well, if thats true, then it finally looks better. Still needs proper price though. 970 does look like a nice upgrade from 680 now.
    Thosre are very early drivers too. So it should be even faster later on.

Well, if thats true, then it finally looks better. Still needs proper price though. 970 does look like a nice upgrade from 680 now.
    Thosre are very early drivers too. So it should be even faster later on.

Is is going to be enough for a 3440 x 1440p 21:9 monitor though,i dont think so:( Obviously it depends on the games you want to play but any of the more demanding games would struggle to maintain 60fps from what i see

Just looking at some of these benches a 290X is just about enough for 1440p so adding the extra resolution requirements of one of the 21:9 monitors an extra 1.5% boost is not really gonna cut it imo. I agree there should be a bit of performance unlocked as drivers mature but is it going to be enough? Also if your happy to sacrifice 60fps at that resolution i guess a 970 would be fine. I just dont see it running the latest titles at that res @60fps unless you compromise with lower settings,less AA etc

322649.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/10/28/crunching-the-numbers-should-you-buy-an-amd-r9-290x-or-nvidia-gtx-780/

Depending on price i reckon a 970 would be a nice upgrade for me at 2560x1440p,just dont see it at the increased resolution of the 21:9 monitors cutting it if you want 60fps max settings in most games,just my 2 cents anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

New nvidia gpus.Here are the cheapest in stock on overclokers.

They have a review with benches here

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is is going to be enough for a 3440 x 1440p 21:9 monitor though,i dont think so:( Obviously it depends on the games you want to play but any of the more demanding games would struggle to maintain 60fps from what i see

Just looking at some of these benches a 290X is just about enough for 1440p so adding the extra resolution requirements of one of the 21:9 monitors an extra 1.5% boost is not really gonna cut it imo. I agree there should be a bit of performance unlocked as drivers mature but is it going to be enough? Also if your happy to sacrifice 60fps at that resolution i guess a 970 would be fine. I just dont see it running the latest titles at that res @60fps unless you compromise with lower settings,less AA etc

322649.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/10/28/crunching-the-numbers-should-you-buy-an-amd-r9-290x-or-nvidia-gtx-780/

Depending on price i reckon a 970 would be a nice upgrade for me at 2560x1440p,just dont see it at the increased resolution of the 21:9 monitors cutting it if you want 60fps max settings in most games,just my 2 cents anyway

Oh no, you are totally right when it comes to those resolutions and monitors. It's still ass and no where near.l needed horse power.
    It's still a bit better then initial benchmarks showed.

I just woke up, so I'll go sort out my breakfasting then check all the gpu stuff info launched today. I hope TTL has his stuff up already.

I just fired up a video of TTL and electricity went out... Awesome...

Edit: Well its back and watching TTL now. I have to admit, I am impressed and pricing is right not as bad. I am more impressed with 970 for 330eu. Those are not 4k cards, but it looks like you can have one of those for your 1440p setup easily. Later on 2 of those would be decent even to mae 4k reasonable.

My friend might be able to buy my gtx 680 ( thinking of 150eu ) and with a few quid added I could pick up 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just spotted an even cheaper r9 290 on OCUK than the one I was linked to a few days ago.

320 + shipping.

It's a little cheaper to that reference cooler 970 above - about 20 quid.

I'd say if they drop below €300 I'll go for it. Hopefully these new Nvidia cards prompt them to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Gbear wrote: »
    Just spotted an even cheaper r9 290 on OCUK than the one I was linked to a few days ago.

320 + shipping.

It's a little cheaper to that reference cooler 970 above - about 20 quid.

I'd say if they drop below €300 I'll go for it. Hopefully these new Nvidia cards prompt them to do that.

The trick to holding off buying a new GPU is to play through a back catalog of old games.
    Come at me Witcher and Mass effect Series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

really considering a 970

I just fired up a video of TTL and electricity went out... Awesome...

Edit: Well its back and watching TTL now. I have to admit, I am impressed and pricing is right not as bad. I am more impressed with 970 for 330eu. Those are not 4k cards, but it looks like you can have one of those for your 1440p setup easily. Later on 2 of those would be decent even to mae 4k reasonable.

My friend might be able to buy my gtx 680 ( thinking of 150eu ) and with a few quid added I could pick up 970.

Sweet,ill have to have a look at TTL's video. Was gonna jump on a 290 awhile ago but the 970 looks a better bet from a quick glance at the benches game4it posted and its price.

Cant see myself going 4k for awhile though. If i sell current gpu's ill only have to add a few quid for the 970

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have a 650W super flower unit here you could borrow no problem. Based in Blanchardstown if thats any use to you

Thanks for that. I actually have the system stable now. After turning off three of the CPU cores (1045T, I think), and underclocking the GPU as much as Afterburner would allow, it now runs fine. I have another PSU that should be here on Tuesday anyway, so this thing doesn't have to last too long. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Serephucus wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I actually have the system stable now. After turning off three of the CPU cores (1045T, I think), and underclocking the GPU as much as Afterburner would allow, it now runs fine. I have another PSU that should be here on Tuesday anyway, so this thing doesn't have to last too long. :P
    From messing with Intel chips I know you can run less cores stably with less voltage at the same speed. So if you have disabled some cores you might be able to undervolt a bit extra too. How pathetic is that PSU? ^^ A loaded 1045T and 750ti system can't be drawing more than 250, 300 watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Apparently it's pretty damn pathetic, considering the 500W rating. Only a 20A 12V rail though. Any game (UT3, Payday 2, and Borderlands 2 were tested) will freeze, and cause the whole machine to restart inside two minutes of gameplay, without the underclocking.

I'm not really bothered with CPU volts to be honest. It's only a small LAN (6-10 people, IIRC) for a day or two, then the PSU will be here start of next week. Wouldn't mind hearing creative ways to kill the old one though.

Sweet,ill have to have a look at TTL's video. Was gonna jump on a 290 awhile ago but the 970 looks a better bet from a quick glance at the benches game4it posted and its price.

Cant see myself going 4k for awhile though. If i sell current gpu's ill only have to add a few quid for the 970

Indeed, we getting those result with raw drivers. Its really fantastic for money you pay for 970. It will handle 1440p like a boss. It has 4gb ran already so it will take on 4k like a boss. All you will need to do is get one more 970, which by that time will be even less then 300eu!

I am really really interested in 970 and I am srongly considering it. It will let me to get 2560x1080 Catleap monitor for now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The EVGA superclocked is due in stock on HWVS today for €339. I'd expect around €320 through geizhals.

Glad I didn't jump into getting the 290.

I am actually happy that my buddy cant pick up my gpu right now. As if he would, I would be buying god damn 970 :D

Indeed, we getting those result with raw drivers. Its really fantastic for money you pay for 970. It will handle 1440p like a boss. It has 4gb ran already so it will take on 4k like a boss. All you will need to do is get one more 970, which by that time will be even less then 300eu!

I am really really interested in 970 and I am srongly considering it. It will let me to get 2560x1080 Catleap monitor for now too.

Been reading reviews all day and checking benches and stuff and have to say it looks like a great card so far.

One major plus is the TDP,seems to be in and around 150W,some were listing 145W and others 155W,a pair of these cards will run nicely on my current PSU as well unlike a pair of 290's. Even the 2 7950's ive got now have a TDP of 200W and are well behind the 970 performance wise. Pretty impressive from nvidia.

Getting one now and maybe adding a second down the line looks like a nice option for me now

Been reading reviews all day and checking benches and stuff and have to say it looks like a great card so far.

One major plus is the TDP,seems to be in and around 150W,some were listing 145W and others 155W,a pair of these cards will run nicely on my current PSU as well unlike a pair of 290's. Even the 2 7950's ive got now have a TDP of 200W. Pretty impressive from nvidia.

Getting one now and maybe adding a second down the line looks like a nice option for me now

That's probably the biggest plus. An overclocked Trix 290 would beat it at high res pretty well but I woukd compare with dual GPU solutions... much less power usage.

• Advertisement

One major plus is the TDP,seems to be in and around 150W,some were listing 145W and others 155W,a pair of these cards will run nicely on my current PSU as well unlike a pair of 290's. Even the 2 7950's ive got now have a TDP of 200W. Pretty impressive from nvidia.

That's probably the biggest plus. An overclocked Trix 290 would beat it at high res pretty well but I woukd compare with dual GPU solutions... much less power usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The power consumption looked to be more around 180w from what I've seen at least on the higher clocked non reference models.

Probably closer to 200w if you overclock them even more. Still very low for the performance.

Would you be better off getting the reference blower or a better after market if you were planning sli in future?

BloodBath wrote: »
    The power consumption looked to be more around 180w from what I've seen at least on the higher clocked non reference models.

Probably closer to 200w if you overclock them even more. Still very low for the performance.

Would you be better off getting the reference blower or a better after market if you were planning sli in future?
    Ref coolers are more efficient for dual setups due to the airflow (after market cards, the top one will be receiving the warmed air exhaust of the bottom card and the only way to rectify this is to have a huge mobo with a big gap between the two cards and a great fan setup.

In most cases the ref cards are the better choice, they cool well and are cheaper to boot.

BloodBath wrote: »

Ref coolers are more efficient for dual setups due to the airflow (after market cards, the top one will be receiving the warmed air exhaust of the bottom card and the only way to rectify this is to have a huge mobo with a big gap between the two cards and a great fan setup.

In most cases the ref cards are the better choice, they cool well and are cheaper to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

If anybody is wanting to water cool the new 970's it looks like the 670 blocks fit the reference pcbs of the 970's.
    I hate having to pay for a new block when changing cards so it would be great if they started making that more common practice.

Guys. Anyone know a good website to get US vpn? I want to get in on my ps3.
    I use hula on my pc. I wonder if I better off buying some cheap pc for bedroom lol.

Picked up a Thrustmaster HOTAS X joystick on amazon for about €50,arrived yesterday and only getting to play with it now.

Have noticed a few things id change so far but i wont get into that till ive spent a bit more time with it,mostly playing around in Arma 3 and X:Albion Prelude with it,Star Citizen encountered a problem and has to be totally re downloaded so wont get to try that till maybe late tonight/tomorrow:(

Anyways heres a few pics below for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Let us know how it does with SC, have a joystick but a HOTAS is probably a better option.

ED E wrote: »
    Let us know how it does with SC, have a joystick but a HOTAS is probably a better option.

No problem. I bought it mostly for SC and Elite when it comes out. Never had a stick so there will probably be a learning curve with it,mapping the controls is something ill have to get used to.

Sadly,so far no game ive played have a preset profile for it besides X:Albion Prelude and even at that is uses buttons for throttle instead of the actual throttle and cant be remapped to it. So id have to spend a bit of time with it before i could honestly give an opinion on it,as i wont be sure if somethings are me being a nOOb with it or weather the controller is at fault:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats the advantage of the Extreme 3D Pro, its hella popular so its natively mapped.

BTW my SC broke the other night too, had to repatch all 18GB. Not too bad on 120Mb but still an unfortunate consequence of pre-alpha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement