Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I am installing Windows 10 as we speak. Searching for updates at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MADFI5H

I will wait a month or two before even considering win 10, need to wait for them to throw a few patches . I am still on gtx 680 so not much of a use for dx12. I need to see win10 properly in action first too, before I put it on.

u sure your 680 wont use dx12? i checked on this since i have 2 660 ti in sli and multiple sources say dx12 will be suported in anything 6 series

also i read that dx12 will allow sli to use both cards vram in sli but was unconfirmed anyone else heard this?

Windows 10 is weird. Completely different than 7, 8, 8.1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Spoilers wotz :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Windows 10 is weird. Completely different than 7, 8, 8.1

I didn't find it to much of a jump.

They have added some nice features that I hope people will learn to take advantage of, but do indeed require some getting use to.

Your not going to get lost using it if you have used windows before. It's still window in end.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how I can clean install. I was sure I chose to wipe everything while updating but all my stuff is still here. I also created a bootable iso and it is looking for a product key so I cancelled the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Anyone know how I can clean install. I was sure I chose to wipe everything while updating but all my stuff is still here. I also created a bootable iso and it is looking for a product key so I cancelled the install.

Windows 10 like windows 8 has a reset function that will wipe everything. It's under recovery options I believe. They have different options with one being factory wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The product key is the same one I have for Windows 7. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Things looking good for big price drops now in the SSD market in near furture with 3d nand now on the way and and 3d xpoint for enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bah, upgrade isn't showing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,198 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

feck sake no update for me either. Im probably in the next batch of downloads or something

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Headshot wrote: »
    feck sake no update for me either. Im probably in the next batch of downloads or something

Yeah nothing for me either, best get off to work with me. Sitting around hoping to upgrade beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Even my work PC is ready to download and install, and I can't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mine isn't ready either I was expecting to do that with my little cup of coffee :(

Moon54 wrote: »

Guess that is how we run a clean install?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

TheDoc wrote: »
    Guess that is how we run a clean install?

Yes, but I believe the best way is to allow it to upgrade to Windows 10 first,
    let it activate on your hardware,
    then you can use the ISO to do a clean install later.

Moon54 wrote: »
    Yes, but I believe the best way is to allow it to upgrade to Windows 10 first,
    let it activate on your hardware,
    then you can use the ISO to do a clean install later.

Cool

Think I'll upgrade and leave it be, then run a clean install over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Seeing the windows folder on my laptop as being 57GB (tis 3 years old too), I have decided to takee plunge and do a clean install.

I'm going to do the same on my desktop too. How should I go about this? Will the download be a straight upgrade? Should I do the upgrade, and then do a clean install thereafter with the iso on windows? (Or a usb install considering I don't have a disk drive :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Christ I can't seem to find a bluetooth 4.0 USB online without shipping, currency exchange and taxes bringing the price up to near 30 from an original 20 or less. There's a local place selling 4.0 for 30 so it turns out the same whether I buy cheaper online and get done in by shipping/taxes or buy local and get done in by the base price.

I really just want some BT right now... the DS4 disconnecting all the time is getting verrry annoying. The micro usb port is sensitive to movement and the way I hold the controller. I'm not even looking to sit far from the desktop I just want to be able to move freely without it disconnecting in the middle of my games and getting me killed... otherwise I'm usually fine with wired controllers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Serephucus wrote: »

Dx are awesome BUT delivery will take 2-6 weeks. Also I'd recommend buying 2 as oftentimes what you're buying is quite cheaply made (which is abaolutely fine btw, you get what you pay for and as long as you accept this it's all good).

That's true. I usually buy more than one of stuff from DX anyway, as it's usually little bits and bobs that I like having spares of anyway (USB drives, card adapters, cables, etc.)

Delivery is a weird one. I've had stuff from them inside a week, and I had one order that took almost three months. I've never got the express option though, maybe that's more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

if people are impatient or can't be bothered with upgrading etc. Windows 10 keys are available for about 30-35 euro on reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

HowAreWe wrote: »
    if people are impatient or can't be bothered with upgrading etc. Windows 10 keys are available for about 30-35 euro on reddit.

Already?!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »

Delivery is a weird one. I've had stuff from them inside a week, and I had one order that took almost three months. I've never got the express option though, maybe that's more reliable.

DX ship when theres free space in a container to be used up, so transit times are essentially random.

Also some stuff now comes from NL not CN so that can be a lot quicker if you are so lucky.

C&T forum may be about to fill up with BSOD threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Skylake is rumored to be announced start of August. Upgrade incoming! :)

Now I must just decided whether to put a deposit down on a car or upgrade my PC.. can't afford both at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Thanks a lot! I bought from them years ago... got a little stand for my playstation camera so it could sit comfortably on top of the TV (now it's on my 120Hz monitor:pac:). I actually searched this place a few days ago but got no results like this... not sure what I was doing wrong. Either way, getting this and will let ye's know if it's any good. Thanks again. :D
    ED E wrote: »
    C&T forum may be about to fill up with BSOD threads...

Eh?! BSOD is common with cheap BT dongles?

Thanks a lot! I bought from them years ago... got a little stand for my playstation camera so it could sit comfortably on top of the TV (now it's on my 120Hz monitor:pac:). I actually searched this place a few days ago but got no results like this... not sure what I was doing wrong. Either way, getting this and will let ye's know if it's any good. Thanks again. :D

No problem. :)
    Eh?! BSOD is common with cheap BT dongles?

Heh, nah. ED means with the Win10 launch. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

For anyone still waiting on the upgrade.

You can force it through windows update, skipping the update que by doing the following.

"First, navigate to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” (you may need to replace C: with a different drive letter if you installed Windows elsewhere) and delete all the files there. This will give Windows Update a clean slate."

Open Windows Update by hitting the Windows key, typing “Windows Update” and clicking on it.

Open up a command prompt with elevated admin rights.

Type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" but do not hit enter.

Go back to windows update, and click check for updates.

Now go back and hit enter on your command whilst it's checking for updates.

This will force the update through. Worked for me.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement