Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's true. I usually buy more than one of stuff from DX anyway, as it's usually little bits and bobs that I like having spares of anyway (USB drives, card adapters, cables, etc.)

Delivery is a weird one. I've had stuff from them inside a week, and I had one order that took almost three months. I've never got the express option though, maybe that's more reliable.

They ship directly from China, which is how their goods are so cheap. They can afford free shipping on such small items, because as I understand it, they purchase an entire shipping container and wait for it to fill up before shipping it.

So you can be lucky when you purchase something ig it's one of the last things to go into a container.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

MagTuired wrote: »
    Already?!

Yup! Limited number apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    For anyone still waiting on the upgrade.

You can force it through windows update, skipping the update que by doing the following.

Thanks for this, worked straight away and can see it downloading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Hasn't worked for me. :(

Type thing in cmd,
    Delete stuff in folder,
    Check for updates,
    Alt-tab, hit enter,
    Finishes checking, still just "reserved".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Type thing in cmd,
    Delete stuff in folder,
    Check for updates,
    Alt-tab, hit enter,

Read the link, it's easier described than the way I tried to :P

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Type thing in cmd,
    Delete stuff in folder,
    Check for updates,
    Alt-tab, hit enter,

My notification never reappeared after it went walkabout this morning.

But then I thought to check my task manager and there was 6Mbps downloading from somewhere to something.

When I checked the Windows update page it was motoring away.

Maybe check that to make sure? It might just be working away in the background.

Well it was downloading W10 again and then Windows update through out an error. W10 notification is saying **** like we are verifying your PC, click her for notification when ready.

If I look at Windows 10 history I can see numerous updates "upgrade to Windows 10 pro : Failed"

Sadly not. I have a network monitor open the whole time, nothing. I also had a look at the link. Your explanation was much more concise. ;)

I dunno why I'm bothered really. I was the one saying yesterday that I'd stay on Win7 until my next build, but now that I can't have it I kinda want it.

I'm going through the steps again, see if it makes any difference.

I might just need to be patient, the notification for W10 says its checking something and it will let me know when its ready to go. But was like that for hours. If this next one doesn't work will leave it off until there is a definitive fix. The one posted above seems to be 50.50 if it works reading around other places.

wonder if you go using the ISO

AFAIK you can't use an ISO without first having tied your Win7/8 key to Win10.

Really, I dunno why you can't just add any keys you have to your MS account and have it spit Win10 keys back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ So does that confirm that your W7/8 keys mutate to W10? No way to rollback to W7/8 if you don't like 10?

I'm not sure on using Win7/8. I'd imagine - and this is only from my limited experience with 8 and 10 - that your 10 keys are tied to your account, so if you sign in on a new device, and you have an inactive key, it'll be used for that device. Maybe then your 7/8 key is deactivated? Maybe you can still use it, but it's already been used for an upgrade, so you won't get another 10 install from it.

Well the download this time has "timewise" gone on longer without error, but downloading exceptionally slower. Think that might be a good thing, appears to be dling a 2gb file, which it wasnt previously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well the download this time has "timewise" gone on longer without error, but downloading exceptionally slower. Think that might be a good thing, appears to be dling a 2gb file, which it wasnt previously

Yup mines doing the same, got an error first time round after a very quick download.

Mine was downloading 5112mb or so it said on windows update. It's fully downloaded now and preparing for install.

Apparently users are getting a lot of invalid keys from microsoftsoftwareswap on reddit, according to pcmasterrace, so watch out for that.

And according to their Windows 10 megathread, there is currently an OS lock on overclocking. Is there any water to this? I'll have to defer upgrading if that's the case, although maybe I'm missing something, as I don't see how a software based OS lock could prevent changing frequencies of a CPU in the BIOS...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Gumbi wrote: »
    Apparently users are getting a lot of invalid keys from microsoftsoftwareswap on reddit, according to pcmasterrace, so watch out for that.

And according to their Windows 10 megathread, there is currently an OS lock on overclocking. Is there any water to this? I'll have to defer upgrading if that's the case, although maybe I'm missing something, as I don't see how a software based OS lock could prevent changing frequencies of a CPU in the BIOS...

I read that thread earlier as well.

It was always known that these are keys from MSDN, and things can go wrong with them in the end.

The issue there was that the person who sold the key was simply dodgy and the mods didn't handle it well by banning him for leaving negative feedback, which from the looks of it causes even more problems for the forum.

There are a good few users who have had zero issues with the keys for years.

Most people on Windows 7/8 should just upgrade and reset if they want a clean install. Buying a license just to do an iso boot install seems pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Doubt there is any OS lock on OC tbh, not sure how they would implement it as its controlled through BIOS, there may be issue with some OC software (afterburner etc...)

srumball wrote: »
    Doubt there is any OS lock on OC tbh, not sure how they would implement it as its controlled through BIOS, there may be issue with some OC software (afterburner etc...)

That's what I mean, but it was part of the sticky thread, so was just wondering. However Afterburner being incompatible is different to "OS lock on overclocking".

I'll read up a bit more but I'm sure users here can confirm fairly quickly if anything major is missing/broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That's what I mean, but it was part of the sticky thread, so was just wondering. However Afterburner being incompatible is different to "OS lock on overclocking".

I'll read up a bit more but I'm sure users here can confirm fairly quickly if anything major is missing/broken.

Sounds like a panic over nothing. More likely is programd like afterburner haven't been updated yet by MSI etc.
    I'm pretty sure Microsoft has never had any problem with Overclocking, I'd be astonished if they started now. It would absolutely decimate sales for any builder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Now that w10 is out (here's the link, btw, tool also downloads ISO), I am thinking of upgrading my good old 60GB kingston V300 SSD for fresh install. However I am reading some horror stories about NAND nerfs and Samsung evo 850 is kinda the way to go.

Is this true? There's approx 15 e's difference in price for 120GB models, not much, but then again I am not made of money... would go for Kingston in a heartbeat if not for what I am reading.

Anyone more experienced around here that could help on decision?

Anyone else having problems with the activation? 10 installed fine, runs perfect etc. but when I go into update and go to activation it says it needs to be connected to the internet to activate. I press on Activate now to manually do it but it gives me error message "Windows cannot activate now. Try again later".

Did you force install it with the tool, or that workaround posted earlier. Maybe you were assigned to get it later on or something.

Update failed once again:mad:

My 2Gig file taking its time downloading, they must be getting hammered

So much for preloading.

For the enthusiasts, sure. My dad knows what Windows 10 is. My brother and my mother don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My 2Gig file taking its time downloading, they must be getting hammered

So much for preloading.

Its being cached by Akamai according to reports, so they should be able to push a fair bit of bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mine still hasn't prompted me to do anything but I'm fairly sure I have it downloaded already. might try do the force update thing as long as it doesn't break everything

Re-downloading now and it's 5,422.9 MB download this time round

• Advertisement

I'm just using the tool. Have a USB made, but have to run to a thing shortly. I'll update with how this goes if no-one's tried it by the time I get back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement