Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with the activation? 10 installed fine, runs perfect etc. but when I go into update and go to activation it says it needs to be connected to the internet to activate. I press on Activate now to manually do it but it gives me error message "Windows cannot activate now. Try again later".

Not able to activate either. I get the error "Windows can't activate. Try again later". They will be getting absolutely hammered at the moment so I'm not concerned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I installed mine last night before midnight by converting a file in the hidden folder to a iso and then just flashing it from there. It kept all my files so I took down the windows key and re-flashed it and wiped the drive and used the key to get a clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,198 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Moon54 wrote: »

Using the above

I upgraded my windows 7 and getting this error

Error code: 0xC004F034

Windows cant activate try later

Anyone got this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

A few people. Probably just the MS servers on their knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

lertsnim wrote: »
    Not able to activate either. I get the error "Windows can't activate. Try again later". They will be getting absolutely hammered at the moment so I'm not concerned about it.

I was on Microsoft tech support allowing him to attempt to activate mine via remote assist controlling my PC for at least an hour.

Only for him to tell me I'm supposedly one of the few that is having the issue and he has arranged for level 2 support to call me tomorrow.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I couldn't be arsed waiting anymore so did the wuauclt.exe/updatenow and it's redownloading, currently 5% done and going quite slow. wonder how much the extra bandwidth cost for nearly everyone downloading more than one time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Laptops upgrading fine right now, trying to get it happen for desktop. It has only 140mb foler on desktop, and fails every time in windows update. 802400200 error code.

Its a slight pain in the hole because I want to do a clean install but it appears I need to activate this first

edit

get in finally activated. You need to spam the activate button

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well my upgrade ready to go, scheduled it for later as I have a raid now.

If it helps, seems to have gone through on the third itme using the steps cleaning the download folder, but before the third time I emptied the trash can

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Have it downloading now, so thanks to MiskyBoyy for that link.

Took a few goes, said the filepath was wrong the first two times, even though it wasn't, tried it again and it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm using internet exp.... 'Edge' right now. It actually isn't a big bag of **** it seems.
    edit
    I spoke too soon about the whole experience, it's just after breaking my whole install, I went to restart to get graphics drivers installed properly and it brought me to a different menu like 'return to windows 10 installation' and shut down.. thought it was already fully installed but on clicking shut down I now can not restart or get into my bios even just black screen.

;(

edit again
    turns out I have to use dvi instead of display port now, did a bios flashback on my board, was able to boot to the right drive again and so I'm back in windows 10, and in proper resolution this time. Will just have to wait a few days and nvidia might get new drivers that'll work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Headshot wrote: »
    get in finally activated. You need to spam the activate button

Was away when I read this. Back at my PC now, start spamming activate button and sure enough on 5th attempt it worked. Ffs :pac: :D

Installed and getting it all set up now.

Going to try out Edge for a few days and see how I like it.
    Overall loving the look of the new OS, a hell of a lot neater looking and more fluid.

Interestingly, and somewhat annoyingly enough. I've gotten a lower benchmark than my previous one. Same settings and clock speeds on GPU and CPU.

I'd imagine another quick update from NVidia will get it sorted soon enough.

Well had my first BSOD in 10 while waiting for GTA V to load. More than likely my overclock then the OS as I changed the timings on my RAM to 7,7,7,20 2T @ just under 1600MHz forget how much voltage I have on RAM.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Installed and getting it all set up now.

Going to try out Edge for a few days and see how I like it.
    Overall loving the look of the new OS, a hell of a lot neater looking and more fluid.

did some quick customisation and going to stick with edge for the weekend see how it feels, so far, pretty slick.

No Cortana for Ireland is a bummer. I setup my start bar to be all customised, but other then that, not sure what else to be doing haha

I love how the start bar shows on the second monitor as well

RQRXJ5t.jpg

TheDoc wrote: »
    did some quick customisation and going to stick with edge for the weekend see how it feels, so far, pretty slick.

No Cortana for Ireland is a bummer. I setup my start bar to be all customised, but other then that, not sure what else to be doing haha

I love how the start bar shows on the second monitor as well

RQRXJ5t.jpg

I have cortana and that search bar with cortana on taskbar is annoying.

Says for me Cortana not available in my region

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

still no option yet for me to say its ready ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TheDoc wrote: »
    Says for me Cortana not available in my region

If you pick English - UK on install you get it.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    If you pick English - UK on install you get it.

That's what I done but I have a Irish keyboard, so I can get fada's. áéíóú

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I have cortana and that search bar with cortana on taskbar is annoying.
    One way of getting rid of the MASSIVE search bar is to select small taskbar buttons after right clicking on the taskbar, going into properties. Cortana reduces down to an icon after that eliminating the search bar.

One way of getting rid of the MASSIVE search bar is to select small taskbar buttons after right clicking on the taskbar, going into properties. Cortana reduces down to an icon after that eliminating the search bar.

Cool just done it there looks so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Serephucus wrote: »
    Sadly not. I have a network monitor open the whole time, nothing. I also had a look at the link. Your explanation was much more concise. ;)

I dunno why I'm bothered really. I was the one saying yesterday that I'd stay on Win7 until my next build, but now that I can't have it I kinda want it.

What network monitor are you using?

I used to love AnalogX Netstatlive back in the day but that seemed to stop working.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Saw this on Fstoppers

windows_10_fail4.gif

Something happened! I lol'd.

Well in work this morning, first RDP to Windows 10, and noticed its MUCH snappier, and more responsive. No input lag at all, which I've had for years on windows 7 via RDP. Really impressive.

EDI: Yeah this is incredible. Fired up a film just to test, and its playing with no lag or stutter, as if I was home playing it. I have always had high speed internet on both ends, but with windows 7 there was always input lag and stutter. Can only put this down to the OS

Lads quick question since I activated windows 10 on my PC. Could I do a clean install with an iso and still get activated?

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads quick question since I activated windows 10 on my PC. Could I do a clean install with an iso and still get activated?

Yeah I believe so, I'd just jot down your Windows key from the activation screen to be sure.

Thought there was talk of being able to do a clean install directly from Windows 10, via the new recovery/restore functions?

Do we actually need to download an ISO, burn to Disc and do it the old school way?

Have a look at Windows recovery/restore. Almost certain there was talk during the preview builds that it looked like you could clean install from within windows 10 itself.

Myself, I still have a thing asking me to activate windows 10. I think that is the final step to tie my key as a windows 10 key. But it kept failing saying try again later, assume servers being hammered. Plan to do a clean install myself tomorrow.

Also don't forget to do the disc cleaner, which will remove windows.old. My SSD reclaimed over 30GB back, and thankfully got rid of some residual Windows 7 install I had from a while back.

Only "wtf" I'm having at the moment is when I boot up my PC I'm present with two account logins. Looks like one is a normal desktop login, the other is a Windows account login. Not sure why they couldn't tie them into the one login process, instead of splitting it out into two separate accounts.

I actually got an error code when trying to download it via Windows update.

I downloaded the program to update directly from Windows and did the upgrade that way. Considerably quicker. It gave the option of a clean install which I passed on. Wanted to upgrade first and clean install over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I think I'll wait a week or two for 10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement