Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads quick question since I activated windows 10 on my PC. Could I do a clean install with an iso and still get activated?

After mine was activated I downloaded https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ to find my windows 10 product key and sure enough it's different than my original 8 one so I went ahead and did a fresh install using my 10 product key and it worked fine :)

Not sure any of you here have Xbox ONE's but the game streaming is very impressive on 10.

Tried it out last night, streaming from my XB1 running on wireless to my main PC upstairs which is running on wired powerline adapter. All through a basic Vodafone Huawei router.

Then recorded it with the built in record function on the W10 Xbox app:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've gotten a small numerical jump in FPS in terms of my main games, but something much more noticeable. I don't know if its new toy syndrome, but WoW seems a lot smoother as does some other games I tried. FPS went up between 7-10 FPS.

Havn't updated my drivers yet. AMD notification alerted me to one like last week, but I kept cancelling as I was about to raid when it was popping up.

Will upgrade the drivers after clean install tomorrow.

Be interesting as the weeks go on to see people doing all that proper benchmarking etc for numbers, but my initial reaction is definitely a performance improving OS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Had no probs updating laptop, appeared in windows update, downloaded it and installed it. Easy.

Tried to force install on desktop eith workarounds using the windows download thing. First error was designating a partition or something. Found a workaround for this, but then after dling it again and attempting an install it got so far and then it failed and reverted me to windows 7.

Now the update just shows up as failed attempted updates in windows updates. Any tips?

I cleared the hidden windows download folders in mt c drive in the hopes that it wpuld kickstart the process but it's done nothing.

I'm hoping it will be an easy fix when I get home from work later. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I think I'll wait a week or two for 10

Same as this, surround is still borked; glad to get shot of 8 though, mainly because of sh!tty ASUS drivers giving me grief; hope things improve for 10.

• Advertisement

If anyone wants a good internet security to go with their new Operating System you can grab a free 9 month license for Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 here: http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/iframe/softpedia/

Download files here:

64 bit

32 bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Windows
    • Security

Pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

• Windows
    • Security

Pick one.

Game on Windows
    Everything else on Linux

More to the fact that I hate Windows than the security aspect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I had to do a clean install of windows 10 with a USB. After I use reset windows 10 option my hard drive became inaccessible so I had to clean install and im delighted windows 10 activated again

My only issue is that my windows update is stuck on 31%. Anyone experience issues like that after installing windows 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Game on Windows
    Everything else on Linux

More to the fact that I hate Windows than the security aspect :D

Do you run office on Linux? Would Office 365 work, as it runs on mac?

Stuck with Windows for gaming for now...but I would love to give it a go for office and browsing.

• Advertisement

I use Libre Office, works for me anyways. The Word Processor is as good as MS Word, I don't use any of the other utilities.

I'd say its got Office 365 support.

I run Ubuntu 12.04LTS with the Cinnamon Desktop I think, and its a beautiful OS, very fluid and fast. Boot time is about 8 seconds on an SSD.

Only 34 of my 133 Steam games are Linux Supported, that's the only reason I'm still using Windows at all, with SteamOS newer games should be supported anyways. I try to game on Linux as much as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Getting a lower benchmark on 3DMark Fire Strike since updating to W10.

Wasn't annoying me an hour ago. Now it is. God damn it.

OytcvQcl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm What do you think of this lads?

Buy windows 8.1 cheap key. Make Iso and do a clean install on ssd, then upgrade to windows 10. ( I presume its still free upgrade no matter what, even if fresh install of 8.1 )

Would that be the cheapest way of getting legal copy of 10? Stand alone windows 10 looks like 99£ on amazon.

How big is Windows 10? I got my OS on 60gb ssd, but something tells me it will be way too low for it. So I might get 128gb or 250gb depending on how cheap I can get windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

anyone any idea how it works, i reserved my upgrade on my gaming pc long before my laptop and now my laptop has the upgrade downloading before my gaming pc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Hmmm What do you think of this lads?

Buy windows 8.1 cheap key. Make Iso and do a clean install on ssd, then upgrade to windows 10. ( I presume its still free upgrade no matter what, even if fresh install of 8.1 )

Would that be the cheapest way of getting legal copy of 10? Stand alone windows 10 looks like 99£ on amazon.

How big is Windows 10? I got my OS on 60gb ssd, but something tells me it will be way too low for it. So I might get 128gb or 250gb depending on how cheap I can get windows 10.

Just get a cheap windows 10 key they are on Redit now.

That SSD is fine it only needs about 30 GB's of space on SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just get a cheap windows 10 key they are on Redit now.

That SSD is fine it only needs about 30 GB's of space on SSD.

Any link to a reputable seller on reddit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have no idea, I never got any licence from there. I just read in some thread on here that there was Win 10 licence cheap on reddit.

Gumbi has read on reddit they're bad form but I think that's just one or two sellers

Try s5ean

I was recommended this guy on here. Key is legit and it upgraded to 10 no problem, activated too.

He seems genuine and sound.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/3f6ong/h_win_7881nwin_10_eligible_office_and_other_ms/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I was recommended this guy on here. Key is legit and it upgraded to 10 no problem, activated too.

He seems genuine and sound.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/3f6ong/h_win_7881nwin_10_eligible_office_and_other_ms/

Is it the 'N' versions we should choose from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

N is just without media centre, which you can install yourself. Be aware that you usually need a different ISO (I don't know if it remains true for W10) as the keys are usually not compatible with the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Monotype wrote: »
    N is just without media centre, which you can install yourself. Be aware that you usually need a different ISO (I don't know if it remains true for W10) as the keys are usually not compatible with the standard.
    There is a separate iso for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I use Ultimate N for all my builds. I have a bootable USB drive with the ISO. It's only about 12-15$ for the N edition - I think the only OS cheaper is Win 8 'N' which I've seen for as little as $10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

I use the Windows N too, here is the media pack for Windows 10 if you need it

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

new command prompt is the tits, look at that cute little font, and I just made it a tiny bit transparent so I'm basically that hacker 4chan now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

new command prompt is the tits, look at that cute little font, and I just made it a tiny bit transparent so I'm basically that hacker 4chan now

Agreed. Handy thing I found by accident: Right-click pastes the clipboard in.

On Windows 10 (obviously). Used the ISO tool a Wednesday evening. Clean installed after doing the upgrade and all's good.

Haven't experienced any of the graphics problems with NVIDIA cards the some on the internet have had. Upgraded my girlfriend's computer last night though and that was a bit of a pain. (dual monitor, 750 Ti on an AMD board), but after a few restarts and uninstall attempts Windows sorted itself out.

Haven't really got a chance to dig into the settings yet. Still installing applications and the like. It's pretty nice so far. Only annoying thing I've noticed is that numlock is disabled on my keyboard by default now, which is annoying considering I'm unlocking my machine with a numeric PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Gonna do a clean install later. Both on laptop and desktop, as their inatalls are years old and take up massive amounts of space.

Seems very nice so far, one issue I've run into, Rome Total War won't run for me, it crashed on load (after screen flashes for 30 sec) as it fails to cate DirectX 9.

I hope I can find a fix for later, I just got back into the game last week and was looking forward to it for the weekend after work!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Guys what size USB do you need to do a clean in stall of W10.

Just realised my Cd drive been out of action for ages now. Just one day wasn't being picked up by my PC anymore. could be a lose connection or something, but just in case might go USB route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

TheDoc wrote: »
    Guys what size USB do you need to do a clean in stall of W10.

Just realised my Cd drive been out of action for ages now. Just one day wasn't being picked up by my PC anymore. could be a lose connection or something, but just in case might go USB route

An 8GB would be ideal, could probably do it with a 4GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, 4GB is usually the minimum.

On another point, anyone on Windows 10 with SVP* having problems? I can't get it to work. It freezes ffdshow and MPC-HC just when it's kicking in.

*Smooth Video Project.
    http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page
    If you're not, you should.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement