Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Might not be the right forum guys, so I thought I'd ask in the OT thread.

Looking for a 2TB or 3TB internal 2.5" 9.5mm drive.
    Fair enough I can buy on Amazon, but do any local stores carry these things?

Please remember, I'm in Limerick, so I might not have your fancy Dublin stores around here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yeah, 4GB is usually the minimum.

On another point, anyone on Windows 10 with SVP* having problems? I can't get it to work. It freezes ffdshow and MPC-HC just when it's kicking in.

*Smooth Video Project.
    http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page
    If you're not, you should.

Yup, having the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

interpolation is work of the devil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

interpolation is work of the devil

Just figured it out. I hadn't installed K-Lite because of Windows' support for MKV's out of the box. Installed that first, then SVP, and it's working as it should now.
    Squaredude wrote: »
    Yup, having the same issue

The stupid TV ones sure. When you actually have enough grunt to do it, it's done well. (Uses around 30% of my 4790K for 720p content)

I don't mind if anyone does it but I would never use it, it's not what was intended and is always very jarring. It looks 'better' in the same way cranking up the contrast and vibrance looks better, but that's not what was intended. Same way I can't ever bring myself to watching films on broadcast tv, 2-3pulldown makes me sea sick

• Advertisement

It feels weird, certainly, but looking at 24FPS video now just looks like a jerky mess. 24FPS isn't magical, or somehow better on the eyes, it's simply a hold-over from analogue days of film, and we're just used to it now.

Out of interest, have you actually tried SVP, or just interpolation from TVs and the like?

fidelity is magical though :D I'm up to my ears in stuff like this in college all the time so I do know the craic with it I'm not an our eyes can only see 20 frames per second kind of person :D

I haven't used svp but I have used avisynth and ffmpeg which is all it really is. I don't mind watching in high framerate if it was captured like that natively but 25 frames motion blur interpolated to 50 frames (or 24 to 60 or whatever) just looks very wrong for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The problem with 24fps content is that there's a lot of jerkiness because of the display's Hz. 24 doesn't multiply evenly to 60, which is what most people are looking at I'd assume. As such, any kind of slow panning, zooming shots often have stuttering. Most people won't see it, but some will. I think Netflix has a way to sync or match the Hz of certain displays with the content they were watching. I've not seen it myself but from what I read it made the video look a lot better in motion, similar to cinema projectors perhaps.

It's worth noting that 24 does multiply evenly into 120 and 144, and although such displays might bot be best for visual quality they do eliminate that stutter in movies when there's slow, consistent movement.

I do wish there was more 48/60+ FPS movie and media content available, though. There are quite a few movies where I outright thought the low framerate was a huge blow to its quality. Pretty much any action movie. Man, The Bourne series would've been amazing if it was filmed at HFR, not just the action.

I tried SVP, it's not very good. Some things work ok with it but overall it caused too many artifacts for only fake framerate boost. I'd rather watch in the original framerate it was filmed at and not have any artifacts. There was a handful of things I watched that were cool at HFR, though. Changing back to 24 really does making it very obvious how jittery 24 is in film, though.

I smirked when I saw the end credits of Dishonored being displayed at 24fps to make it look more 'cinematic'. The rest of the game was so smooth, don't know why they went with that in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Tried SVP about a year ago. Too many motion artifacts for me (usually when a foreground object passes in front of background and it gets confused about what to do).

FWIW, my G-sync monitor seems to be syncing with 24p content.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dropped a box on my laptop the other day, €160 display gone then my workstations PSU went yesterday. TGIF(and Payday!) :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Thought some of ye might enjoy this, the most expensive build I have ever seen.

Here

Luck100 wrote: »
    Tried SVP about a year ago. Too many motion artifacts for me (usually when a foreground object passes in front of background and it gets confused about what to do).

FWIW, my G-sync monitor seems to be syncing with 24p content.

Really? That's good to know. Another reason to go G-Sync.

Yeah, the artifacts are annoying, but I'm very used to it now. Even watching 24FPS content over the last day, it was really horrible looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

HowAreWe wrote: »

Here

Three swifts, deadly. Four Titans though-not so much; talk about the law of diminishing returns. They should have gone with three and put the $1K towards watercooling. Still, do want..

glynf wrote: »
    Three swifts, deadly. Four Titans though-not so much; talk about the law of diminishing returns. They should have gone with three and put the $1K towards watercooling. Still, do want..

Yeah, that build really isn't great. Seems like they just found the most expensive everything and bought as much as they could. Laptop is the same. Wouldn't mind using it a rendering/transcoding farm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I absolutely detest high frame rates on films and TV shows, it looks awful and cheap to me.

Do you ever get used to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yeah, that build really isn't great. Seems like they just found the most expensive everything and bought as much as they could. Laptop is the same. Wouldn't mind using it a rendering/transcoding farm though.

Yep, still I would be in no way disappointed with all that gear lying about. :)

Lads, anyone here running a UPS? What make/model?

Not convinced about the mains supply where I am, and thinking about one with pure sinwave out; not concerned about standby time, its more to compensate for voltage drops/spikes. From what I read modern 80+ PSU's play nicer with pure sine wave as opposed to stepped sine wave models?

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I absolutely detest high frame rates on films and TV shows, it looks awful and cheap to me.

Do you ever get used to it?

It's simply because we're used to 24 for films and shows. It's not a special number nor is it any more 'cinematic' than any other framerate, it's just what the industry used at the time and we're still stuck with it. HFR looks high-end to me at this point after experiencing it enough.

What I'd really like to see is a full movie in native HFR. I'd say most people would probably adjust to most of it by halftime in the movie. Going back to 24fps you see that that's the cheap looking thing. It looks like the video is struggling to render properly.

So yeah, you get used to it, just like we've gotten used to 24fps from cinema content for our whole lives. I do want HFR to adopted in the future, though. It just looks better and is amazing for fast-paced action. The best part is, if you don't like it you can clock it to 24 artificially and then you have the choice. When they're filmed at 24, there is no choice but to interpolate which is not ideal at all.

I don't think people realise the sheer amount of post-processing that goes into films these days. Tons of blurring in almost every scene that has anything fast and it's not a one-size-fits-all situation, each scene has to be blurred in the right ways at the right times. All to compensate for the low framerate. There is also some native blurring from the cameras when filming at low framerates. This is naturally reduced from HFR capturing.

Next time you're watching a movie and there's a fast scene, go ahead and press pause a handful of times to try and catch a fast motion. You'll find things like:

http://i.imgur.com/uym7kZX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IDL6n8L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pbgrrVx.jpg

Didn't direct embed the pictures because boards still has no auto sizing or click-to-expand options to my knowledge.

You can't go from 48 frames to 24 frames and have it look like it was shot at 24 frames

robert you're also so wrong it's ridiculous, they don't add blur to movement to compensate for low framerate

Of course not but the kind of people who don't notice stuttering at 24 and don't care or notice the advantages of HFR are probably the same group as those wouldn't notice the issues brought from clocking HFR content to lower fps.

Edit: Am I? Sorry if I am, but that's what blur is often used for. It can also be used to give the impression of fast movement, but I only see that in still pictures. I am aware they blur it for other reasons and they're often not directly thinking about framerates when it comes to cinema content. But please share if you have more information. This is just stuff I've read from people in the industry online in their blogs and such or during QnAs when this kind of topic arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So guys. I got that download from MS website and it is downloading the ISO image on USB stick. So if I geta key now from reddit crowed, I can just boot from stick pop in key and thats it.

I plan on throwing it on 256ssd that has stuff on it right now and keep 60 ssd as secondary for a game or two. Can I just start win 10 install witouth any prep or I better format my Games hdd and that 256 ssd ( which is not OS one ) now or I can do it when win 10 is on my pc etc?

• Advertisement

So guys. I got that download from MS website and it is downloading the ISO image on USB stick. So if I geta key now from reddit crowed, I can just boot from stick pop in key and thats it.

I plan on throwing it on 256ssd that has stuff on it right now and keep 60 ssd as secondary for a game or two. Can I just start win 10 install witouth any prep or I better format my Games hdd and that 256 ssd ( which is not OS one ) now or I can do it when win 10 is on my pc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If youre getting a Windows 7 or 8.1 key then you will need to install 7 or 8.1 first before the windows 10 upgrade will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

After much tweaking and poking of my GTX 970 Reference model and spending a few hours today properly overclocking the CPU and GPU I'm pretty damn happy with my 3DMark results.

Right side is the new score compared with the score on the very first benchmark I ran the day after I built this PC.

MSI Afterburner for the GPU overclocking and the BIOS for the CPU of course. Tried a few programs apparently good for CPU overclocking and all of them caused stability issues.

CbHVlkNh.png

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    If youre getting a Windows 7 or 8.1 key then you will need to install 7 or 8.1 first before the windows 10 upgrade will work.

Nope, they sell windows 10 keys. no need upgrade and all faff anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Nope, they sell windows 10 keys. no need upgrade and all faff anymore.

Well I did say IF you're getting a 7 or 8.1 key.

But you go ahead and spend the extra $20 Mr. Rich man ;):D

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Well I did say IF you're getting a 7 or 8.1 key.

But you go ahead and spend the extra $20 Mr. Rich man ;):D

It's grand, I am pc master race member, so I got 20 left over by not buying overpriced xbox games. :D
    Anyway, got win 10 on usb. Will get key tomorrow most likely as I got work tomorrow and have no time round faff around tonight.
    I don't know why am I so itchy to get it... Maybe just really need a clean pc for that "feel". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

glynf wrote: »

Apparently Furies scale better, pretty much across the board for half as much:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/an-epic-fury-x-review-quad-fury-x-vs-quad-titan-x.214231/

Multi-GPU is ****ing daft regardless - it probably won't work in half the games you want, but AMD is probably your best bet unless money is literally no object.

Personally, I'd find it pretty obscene to get 4 Titan-X's.

If you're going to piss money down the jacks, you'd be better off giving it to charity rather than giving your already overinflated ego another boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

HowAreWe wrote: »

Here

Nearly €4000 between the CPU and monitors alone. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah, 4GB is usually the minimum.

On another point, anyone on Windows 10 with SVP* having problems? I can't get it to work. It freezes ffdshow and MPC-HC just when it's kicking in.

*Smooth Video Project.
    http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page
    If you're not, you should.

Any walk in stores here do 8GB for relatively cheap?

EDIT: Nvrmind, this will do http://www.harveynorman.ie/sale/sandisk-16gb-cruzer-blade-usb-memory-key.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Heaven 4.0 Avg Went from 27.5fps on an overclocked 280x to 35.4 on the stock 290

Good investment by my call

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement