Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I got a 263% increase in the benchmark score after Overclocking...

FPS jumped from 35 to 94

So you found the sweet spot for your card. Well done. I was saying to myself after you tried the other setting and the card was throwing a fit that you must have got a bad card as it has a better cooler etc... Well at least you got it figured.

Gumbi wrote: »
    The 290/390 will pull ahead at 1440p which is nice.

That's a nice score, what kind of overclock you running?

1200MHz core clock
    1500MHz memory clock
    Added more current and power as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So you found the sweet spot for your card. Well done. I was saying to myself after you tried the other setting and the card was throwing a fit that you must have got a bad card as it has a better cooler etc... Well at least you got it figured.

The card was actually spazzing out and giving me full screen images like static on a TV, but in color which wouldn't leave until I forced a reboot

Dropped core speed by 10 and its perfect :pac:

Very fine line between a safe and unstable overclock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

1200MHz core clock
    1500MHz memory clock
    Added more current and power as well.

Ah nice, Is that on water? I can hit 1175/1600 on 75mv on air, but not 1200 (too much voltage).

By adding more current (and thus power), do you mean just moving the slider to 50%?

Ah nice, Is that on water? I can hit 1175/1600 on 75mv on air, but not 1200 (too much voltage).

By adding more current (and thus power), do you mean just moving the slider to 50%?

No it's on air. Sounds like a jet though. Temps reach around 80 degrees with overclock. Stock card with stock fan profile temp used to reach 92 degrees.

Core Voltage +100mVolts
    Power Limit % +20

• Advertisement

No it's on air. Sounds like a jet though. Temps reach around 80 degrees with overclock. Stock card with stock fan profile temp used to reach 92 degrees.

Core Voltage +100mVolts
    Power Limit % +20

You don't get power limited at plus 20%? What's your max power draw reading in GPUZ?

I just did a run there of Heaven, got 62.4FPS at 1175/1600 @ 75mv. VRMs icy cool at 55 degrees, core got to 73c (100% fan). The VRMs are never a problem on this card. Max reported power draw of 340 watts. This is a Vapor X 290 by the way.

My CPU might be helping a bit (4790k at 4.9ghz), but with tess/AA on it shouldn't really.

What model card by the way? Must have decent cooling to run 100mv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Thinking of getting http://www.dx.com/p/sandisk-internal-ssd-240gb-2-5-inch-sdssda-240g-852393258 for fresh Linux installation. Decisions decisions...

You don't get power limited at plus 20%? What's your max power draw reading in GPUZ?

I just did a run there of Heaven, got 62.4FPS at 1175/1600 @ 75mv. VRMs icy cool at 55 degrees, core got to 73c (100% fan). The VRMs are never a problem on this card. Max reported power draw of 340 watts. This is a Vapor X 290 by the way.

My CPU might be helping a bit (4790k at 4.9ghz), but with tess/AA on it shouldn't really.

What model card by the way? Must have decent cooling to run 100mv.

My VRM's are around 55-60 as well.
    I don't really know if I am limited at +20 power limit. These settings are running the card fine so I don't want to go messing about with the settings.

I actually do not know what my max power draw is. I forgot to set it to show max in GPU-z when I ran a benchmark in heaven just now and I wasn't watching while it was running.

I got a 61.3 FPS just now and a score of 1544.

The card is a reference model GPU from Gigabyte.

Thinking of getting http://www.dx.com/p/sandisk-internal-ssd-240gb-2-5-inch-sdssda-240g-852393258 for fresh Linux installation. Decisions decisions...

Would you not pay the €15 or so and get a Crucial of Samsung from amazon in a few days as opposed to a month from HK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Time's not a huge issue and I'm on a very tight budget. I'm more interested in the actual quality of the SSD. Not too much info on it out there but did find a page with 100+ user reviews. All mostly good. I checked benchmarks but I don't understand most of it so I just want reliability and cheap price... nothing fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm off work tomorrow, so the plan is to really push my system and see what Benchmark I can get. Best so far.

ElbM6VPh.png

My VRM's are around 55-60 as well.
    I don't really know if I am limited at +20 power limit. These settings are running the card fine so I don't want to go messing about with the settings.

I actually do not know what my max power draw is. I forgot to set it to show max in GPU-z when I ran a benchmark in heaven just now and I wasn't watching while it was running.

I got a 61.3 FPS just now and a score of 1544.

The card is a reference model GPU from Gigabyte.

I didn't realise the Gigabyte model had such good VRM cooling. Nice. Ya, the scores are slightly variable, plus if you do a dry run (withiut letting loop once or twice by itself, you might get some HDD stutter or something.

I didn't realise the Gigabyte model had such good VRM cooling. Nice. Ya, the scores are slightly variable, plus if you do a dry run (withiut letting loop once or twice by itself, you might get some HDD stutter or something.

I am also on a PCI-e 2.0 as it is a X58 system that I built around 2009. So it may give a few extra FPS if I was on a 3.0 system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

5 hours later, a few display crashes and a good few restarts, I think I've hit the peak of my system in it's current state.

GPU Clock: 1344Mhz
    Memory Clock: 2058Mhz
    CPU Clock: 4.5Ghz

Managed to get 1573 in Heaven and 10772 in Fire Strike.
    Going any higher than these caused the GPU to reach 100% and the display drivers crashed.

qf9vNb5h.png

Now that that's done, I guess I better move on to working on my fiancée's build :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mechanical KB with media keys, go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Assuming you mean the dedicated ones:

Any of Corsair's ones (AFAIK)
    Logitech's G710 (and G710+)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

Corsair K70

the old one no the rgb one

Fantastic piece of art I'm telling you

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

+1 for the K70 (non RGB) have one the last few weeks and it's excellent

Currently using the G510 so the G710+ isnt a bad idea. €124

Vengeance K70 looks nice enough. €140 isnt terrible.

I've just had a realization that while I used to use media keys, but since migrating to google music I dont actually use them anymore as they dont work. D'oh!

I used to use media keys all the time with my old G11, but since I got my G602 (mouse), and have a bunch of side buttons, I just have media controls on that instead. Combine that with the fact that my speakers have a volume dial that sits on my desk, I really don't touch my keyboard for media any more at all.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    I used to use media keys all the time with my old G11, but since I got my G602 (mouse), and have a bunch of side buttons, I just have media controls on that instead. Combine that with the fact that my speakers have a volume dial that sits on my desk, I really don't touch my keyboard for media any more at all.

My Fiio E10 has a volume dial but Ive always found the roller on the right hand side of the KB to be much handier for quick tweaks.

Mouse buttons arent a bad idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭taytobreath

How long on average does it take to build a pc from scratch, it will be my 1st time.

Assuming you do it the right way* and assuming no major problems, probably inside two hours. It being your first time you'll probably have little things pop up, so maybe a bit longer.

* All those things you see on how-to videos? Like installing the main components outside the case? Do those things. They take more time, but it makes figuring out a possible DOA component much easier.

thanks for the fast reply, i havent all my parts bought yet, but i cant wait to get stuck into it,

About 2-3 hours is what it took me for my second build, it probably wouldn't take so long if I was to do one now.

Spent three and a half at my last one but it was a tutorial build where I was walking someone through the steps

cool thanks, ill have to start doing my research and watch those videos, i still have a few bits and bobs left to get before i can start my 1st build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Installing motherboard drivers and windows will take a lot longer though. You may physically build it in a few hours but expect to be there a good few hours after getting the OS installed and everything up to date

has anybody successfully done a clean install with windows 10? I selected the option to reset the pc (selecting the option to remove all files, apps etc), and a few mins later, after preparing etc it restarted and threw the error "inaccessibleboot device".

I checked from the bios that it was booted from the proper drive (it was). Now it won't boot into my os at all, let alone reinstall windows 10. It just keeps coming up with the same error. Any tips?

has anybody successfully done a clean install with windows 10? I selected the option to reset the pc (selecting the option to remove all files, apps etc), and a few mins later, after preparing etc it restarted and threw the error "inaccessibleboot device".

I checked from the bios that it was booted from the proper drive (it was). Now it won't boot into my os at all, let alone reinstall windows 10. It just keeps coming up with the same error. Any tips?

Disable secureboot and if required change from UEFI to BIOS/Legacy.

• Advertisement

I did the upgrade, then booted from USB, wiped the drive, selected clean install, and everything went as normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement