Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enterprise Computing

• 07-08-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Anyone hoping to be offered this course ? :D Would be nice to know a few before starting (hopefully) this year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

Yep i have it down on my cao , its my first choice. Looks like a great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 feckin priests

It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Predominately computer based in first year as well as implementing my favorite subject, business. (And apparently, first years have Fridays off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭Mark_G

I'm just done first year in EC there. Tough enough course with very little business in first year but a lot of fairly interesting modules computing wise.. Share a good few classes with the Computer science students too.

Edit: yes fridays off both semesters!

Mark_G wrote: »
    I'm just done first year in EC there. Tough enough course with very little business in first year but a lot of fairly interesting modules computing wise.. Share a good few classes with the Computer science students too.

Edit: yes fridays off both semesters!

I find that i should be fine as i have a great interest in computers and i like business but how tough is the maths on the course ?

It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Predominately computer based in first year as well as implementing my favorite subject, business. (And apparently, first years have Fridays off)

Yeah im the exact same except business wouldn't be my favourite subject , are you going to live on campus ?

• Advertisement

Aarong9224 wrote: »
    I find that i should be fine as i have a great interest in computers and i like business but how tough is the maths on the course ?

Ah I found maths to be allright some of it is fairly tough. The lectures in first semester weren't too bad but were horrible in second semester so didn't bother going.. Going to the tutorials and doing decent enough in the CA and you should be grand.

Ah I found maths to be allright some of it is fairly tough. The lectures in first semester weren't too bad but were horrible in second semester so didn't bother going.. Going to the tutorials and doing decent enough in the CA and you should be grand.

Grand so , if everything goes as planed on wednesday i will be there. Can you see the points going up this year ?

Grand so , if everything goes as planed on wednesday i will be there. Can you see the points going up this year ?
    In the same boat, fingers crossed for Wednesday. Went up 20 points or so the last 2 years in a row, and I heard there's a record number of business and computer applicants.. so I would be surprised

And I think I'll be staying in gateway, how about you?

I don't know can imagine it being in and around 400.. Big drop out rate if you get in though.. People think there is a lot more business than there actually is

In the same boat, fingers crossed for Wednesday. Went up 20 points or so the last 2 years in a row, and I heard there's a record number of business and computer applicants.. so I would be surprised

And I think I'll be staying in gateway, how about you?

I have shanowen square booked but if i get on campus i might stay there instead depending on how much cheaper it is.

• Advertisement

I don't know can imagine it being in and around 400.. Big drop out rate if you get in though.. People think there is a lot more business than there actually is

I hope it doesn't go above 400 anywhere under that and i will be fine.

I have shanowen square booked but if i get on campus i might stay there instead depending on how much cheaper it is.

Stay in shanowen!

Stay in shanowen!

Why ? Is on campus worse ?

Yeah shanowen is far far better. stayed there last year and am staying there this year. Campus is so strict and the rooms aren't half as nice as shanowen

Yeah shanowen is far far better. stayed there last year and am staying there this year. Campus is so strict and the rooms aren't half as nice as shanowen

Grand thanks think i will stay in shanowen then. Do they keep first years in the same apartment or could i be in with a load of 2nd/3rd years ?

Grand thanks think i will stay in shanowen then. Do they keep first years in the same apartment or could i be in with a load of 2nd/3rd years ?

Ah it depends I ended up living with two second years but then a few of the lads were living with all first years.. Just depends really its all random!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Great course cannot recommend it enough. Going into final year now. I'll say you guys have definitely made the right choice with this course!

Great course cannot recommend it enough. Going into final year now. I'll say you guys have definitely made the right choice with this course!

Great to hear this from someone :D Hope everyone gets what they need on Wednesday

Where did you do your INTRA? Looking forward to second year myself i must say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

I'm going in to third year if anyone has any questions?

• Advertisement

Where did you do your INTRA? Looking forward to second year myself i must say!

Currently doing it in MasterCard, just entering my last couple of weeks. Mainly working on databases and web services. Its really interesting stuff! Made me love the course even more. Its amazing how much more you actually pick up on the job in comparisson to what you learn in college.

Currently doing it in MasterCard, just entering my last couple of weeks. Mainly working on databases and web services. Its really interesting stuff! Made me love the course even more. Its amazing how much more you actually pick up on the job in comparisson to what you learn in college.

Is there an option to do the intra abroad ?

And how long was it? Nine months?

Is there an option to do the intra abroad ?

There is yeah, a few Dutch companies you can "officially" apply for through the college. You can also try organise your own internship with any company you wish as long as the job is in the computing field. The only pre-requisite is that as long as you arent getting coffee and are doing work relevant to the course, it doesnt matter

And how long was it? Nine months?

Started February 3rd (Had to drop out of the Snowsports trip for it :() and I am finished on the 19th of September. So 7 and a half months? Few of my friends are due to finish next week as they are only 6 month contracts. It varys depending on the company

I got 390 have hear and dare as well incase it goes up more than 20. Looks like i'm heading to DCU :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

It's a great course. The intra makes it even more appealing as it gives you experience in the industry before you leave college. I'm graduating in November and walked into a job when I finished three months ago. I'd put that mainly down to the intra placement too.

Nice to hear people getting the points :D I got 480 somehow, they were definitely corrected wrong but I'm not complaining :D Very excited for this course now, staying in gateway for definite as well

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nordie Durdle

About to start second year, this is NOT a computers and business course. It is a straight computing degree with the focus being on how computing is implemented in business. It is Enterprise Computing not Computing and Enterprise.

I think quite a few people in first year were disappointed that we weren't doing any business modules, they didn't read the module list on the DCU website close enough.

In first year you will:
    Learn HTML, CSS to create websites
    Learn Linux command line scripting
    Learn Javascript programming
    Have your brain raped all year by logic and calculus
    Do a few soft PC hardware/operating systems/technology modules
    Do a Microsoft Office module
    Learn more about Networking (and sharks) than you ever wanted to know
    Do a project management module based around technology conferences held in the Helix (some cool speakers)

So there you go, whilst it may change this year this was what we did. If you haven't at all got the tech nerd thing going on then probably not the degree for you, if like me you have then you'll love it.

The catch being the maths is hard in first year, can you do mathematical induction? That was week 1. Lots are repeating it.
    I passed it ok but I would say the maths module was easily the hardest thing I have ever done academically, serious amount of hours put into it. If you are doing higher maths and passing it you should be ok.

People-wise all the folk on the course last year were sound, more girls on the course than you'd expect and two mature students (of which I am one). Actually can't wait to get stuck into second year, best of luck anyone applying, any questions fire away or PM me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that info Nordie

Turns out the course didn't rise or fall a single point this year :D I presume that keeps everybody happy

See ya in dcu then mate , feel free to pm me with your facebook. Will be good to get to know someone in the course.

Ill echo what Nordie said. He's right as yes this is a computer centric degree. However as you enter 3rd and 4th year it becomes more analytics based, looking at the IT infrastructure as a whole. If you want to be an expert programmer, not gonna happen in this degree, but it will give you a baseline from which you can further investigate various areas. The point of this degree is for us to be the bridge between the business people and the technical people.

To everyone who got the course, welcome.! Try not to take up our lab space :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bewerten

What sort of laptop would you guys recommend getting for this course??

Bewerten wrote: »
    What sort of laptop would you guys recommend getting for this course??

Any laptop will do, just get decent processor speed and a good amount of RAM. I survived on a netbook, but barely as it died on me last semester.

Any laptop will do, just get decent processor speed and a good amount of RAM. I survived on a netbook, but barely as it died on me last semester.
    Are there many projects/assignments that require Microsoft office?

• Advertisement

Are there many projects/assignments that require Microsoft office?

Oh yes. Most do require a report of some kind, especially in 3rd and 4th year! First year, there were only a couple of reports but I has steadily risen from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

Graduated from this course in June. It really is an excellent course if you have a keen interest in Computing and the functions of technology and systems within a business. I'm working as an Analyst now in an Investment Company and this course had me very well prepared. Just a note for anyone in final year. Don't under-estimate the importance of your final year project. It's heavily weighted and can get you a much better grade if you put the work and effort in. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ShaunaD13

Anyone hoping to be offered this course ? :D Would be nice to know a few before starting (hopefully) this year

Yeah I'm hoping to get into this course also! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ShaunaD13

Anybody know if the points have gone up for this year?

Advertisement