Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tea Recommendations

• 07-08-2014 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

In last few months have begun to drink tea properly (talking different varieties, not the typical cup of Barry's) and enjoying it so far. Haven't been too adventurous with my choices yet, always just get a little nervous I'll buy 20 of a brand I don't like and have to either get rid of them or just drink them away. Tried an Aldi brand Earl Grey (Diplomat) which was decent, if not a tad bitter. Also Twinings Chai (nice), Peppermint (not sure on this one...), Jasmine (it's pretty plain) and also their Camomile, although it tasted/looked nothing like the pink Java Republic camomile I tried, it was more like a bland green tea.

I've been looking at Teapigs for a sample set, not sure what they're like yet, was recommended. I also tried loose leaf chai, although it's just very expensive compared to teabags and I'm not sure the taste difference was large enough for me to convert yet. Also think the water in our area might be affecting the taste...a lot of limescale.

Any tea drinkers have favourites or tips re: water, temp, infusions? Want to take my enjoyment of tea to the next level ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Bewleys loose leaf breakfast tea although not widely available. You might have to go to Bewleys itself or their website. Lovely cup every time. Ditch the tea bags... that's dusty stuff and between the lack of any deep flavour and the mouthfeel of powder it's best avoided. Bags are ok in an office or whatever but if you can take the time to real 'proper' tea you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What's a good cheap teapot with the strainer/leaf holder inside? I've seen a few in Palais Des Thes in Dublin but they're glass/ceramic and a little above budget for the time being...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Cydoniac wrote: »
    What's a good cheap teapot with the strainer/leaf holder inside? I've seen a few in Palais Des Thes in Dublin but they're glass/ceramic and a little above budget for the time being...

Have a look at the stump range
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/For-Life-Stump-teapot-White/dp/B004A8TVAS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

TK Maxx are worth browsing if you're near one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 lokii

Hello all,

I also tried loose leaf chai, although it's just very expensive compared to teabags and I'm not sure the taste difference was large enough for me to convert yet. Also think the water in our area might be affecting the taste...a lot of limescale.

Any tea drinkers have favourites or tips re: water, temp, infusions? Want to take my enjoyment of tea to the next level ;)

There are so many questions in there I don’t know where to start. ;-)

Let’s start with the easy one – the water. I don’t think you need to worry about this for now. Yes it does definitely affects the flavour but when you are starting it’s more important to get leaves, temperature and timing right.

I definitely recommend loose tea. It is better value for money and if you have something like a brew basket it is just as convenient. 100g of loose Earl Grey will make 50 cups and should set you back €4.50. When you buy loose leaf tea always ask for a sample of another tea. Most online shops do this as standard and tea houses are usually willing too. This means you get to try something new without the risk. Also most tea houses will be happy to prepare some tea to try before you buy.

There are lots of teas so where to start is often a problem. Chai and Earl Grey are both flavoured black teas. If you’re liking those maybe try other flavoured black teas or different types of unflavoured black tea. Similarly, if you like the green tea or Jasmine (which is a flavoured green tea) you could try other green teas. In between green and black is a group called Oolong that most people really like.
    Green tea needs a temperature of ~80°C and black needs closer to 100°C.

The others that you mention: peppermint and chamomile are classed as herbal teas. They don’t come from the tea plant. Herbal teas often (not always) have sweeter flavours with flowers and generally don’t have caffeine.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your tea journey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 lokii

I've seen some glass ones with a strainer in Ikea and Tiger. Neither are great quality but very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Merrill123

I think using tea leaves brings in a huge change to the taste of tea. I love using them instead of grains. other than that I try out different varieties of tea from the online store (link removed, Mod.) They have a special section for tea and coffee in which a large variety of tea are on sale. I really don't think that a teacup can change the taste of your tea but then it may work that way for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Wow, thanks for the advice guys! Will have to keep an eye out for a proper teapot, and I'll see about samples while I explore the ones I'm more familiar with. Enjoying the experience very much so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TeaDude

Two great teas that I recommend are:
    1) Rooibos. It's fresh, tasty and has no caffeine or tannin (so you can drink it any time of the day or night). It also happens to be really healthy.
    2) Lapsung is a smokey tasting Chinese tea, and it's really lovely for an afternoon tea (though I drink it any time of the day).

Advertisement