Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aughrim winter weather

• 07-08-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi - just looking for some advice as we will be shortly moving to Aughrim and one of us will be commuting to Cherrywood each morning. We currently live pretty high up near Kilternan and are used to snow and ice but roads are generally well treated.... so just wanted to check if the weather in Augrim and surrounding areas warranted buying a small 4x4 or if a 'normal' car would suffice for winter driving or are the roads treated just as well as where we are? I have to get to South Dublin each day rain, hail, snow or shine! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

the roads generally surrounding aughrim are dangerous even on a good day!! why on earth would you move to such an isolated part of the country?? i work as a direct sales rep and drive a truck to shops and during the snow in 2010 i was possibly the only gob****e willing to risk my safety driving in and out of aughrim to make a few euros

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

the roads generally surrounding aughrim are dangerous even on a good day!! why on earth would you move to such an isolated part of the country?? i work as a direct sales rep and drive a truck to shops and during the snow in 2010 i was possibly the only gob****e willing to risk my safety driving in and out of aughrim to make a few euros

It's less than 15mins from Arklow....hardly the Aran Islands. Well aware what the roads around Aughrim are like normally too thanks. As per my post just looking to see if people think a 4x4 is needed during winter months or if ppl commute to work easily in cars. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

why on earth would you move to such an isolated part of the country??

It is a beautiful part of the world, property prices are good and if is close to amenities. What's not to like? I would livd there if I could.
    i work as a direct sales rep and drive a truck to shops and during the snow in 2010 i was possibly the only gob****e willing to risk my safety driving in and out of aughrim to make a few euros

I remember "the big snow of 2010".
    Even Greystones ground to a halt.
    Far from a typical example of Aughrim winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

To go to Cherrywood from Aughrim you wouldn't go near Arklow. Road to rathdrum and on to rathnew is kept clear unless a crazy fall like 2010....then you stay home for a day or two....happens every 5-10 years, no big deal;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

To go to Cherrywood from Aughrim you wouldn't go near Arklow. Road to rathdrum and on to rathnew is kept clear unless a crazy fall like 2010....then you stay home for a day or two....happens every 5-10 years, no big deal;)

Oh I know - I was just couteracting a silly statement that Aughrim was isolated and cut off from civilisation that a earlier post made. We go the way you suggested Rathrum - Gleanely etc.....good to hear that the roads are reasonably well maintained - dont really fancy the running costs of a SUV however small 'soccer mom' type it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CelticCub wrote: »
    ... dont really fancy the running costs of a SUV however small 'soccer mom' type it is!
    Just get a decent set of winter tyres then for the colder months, and then you'll have a bit more peace of mind when driving in cold / icy / snowy conditions even if the roads are cleared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Nonsense

Is that all? No opinion?

Please refrain from this style of posting unless you have a point to back it up.

Moderator.

LEIN wrote: »
    Is that all? No opinion?

Please refrain from this style of posting unless you have a point to back it up.

Moderator.

Yes sir, no prob....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

LEIN wrote: »
    Is that all? No opinion?

Moderator.

He's being reprimanded for counteracting a ridiculous comment. How are the roads roads dangerous on a normal day. How is aughrim isolated.

• Advertisement

sell us aughrim and tell us exactly what the place has to offer?? well it aint exactly a buzzing hub with an amazing transport infrastructure now is it?? so therefore unless you own a mode of transport your pretty much isolated!!! well the roads from aughrim to woodenbridge you would literally wanna be a rally driver to negotiate and the road to rathdrum aint any better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

sell us aughrim and tell us exactly what the place has to offer?? well it aint exactly a buzzing hub with an amazing transport infrastructure now is it?? so therefore unless you own a mode of transport your pretty much isolated!!! well the roads from aughrim to woodenbridge you would literally wanna be a rally driver to negotiate and the road to rathdrum aint any better!!!

The road to rathdrum is 100% perfect as is the road to the n11, its super smooth and ive seen a lot worse. Horses for courses on what aughrim has to offer, nice pubs, a quiet life is what some people are after and great out door activities ..decent trails for walking or mtb, golf, local gaa etc. Oh yeah and the locals arent gunner eye'd either.

Rathdrum 15 mins away has a train station, if that floats yer boat.

Well the judges had no problem negotiating the roads getting there the year it was voted Ireland's tidiest town(5ish years ago).....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Those roads, quiet sunny day and 2 wheels :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

I find the roads ok but come winter its a different ball came .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

JJJJNR wrote: »
    The road to rathdrum is 100% perfect as is the road to the n11, its super smooth and ive seen a lot worse. Horses for courses on what aughrim has to offer, nice pubs, a quiet life is what some people are after and great out door activities ..decent trails for walking or mtb, golf, local gaa etc. Oh yeah and the locals arent gunner eye'd either.

Rathdrum 15 mins away has a train station, if that floats yer boat.

WicklowNews.net is reporting that the station has been shortlisted for closure

http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/08/fears-for-rathdrum-train-station/

RosieJoe wrote: »
    WicklowNews.net is reporting that the station has been shortlisted for closure

http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/08/fears-for-rathdrum-train-station/
    there slowly eroding rathdrum, closure of msd soon and now there train station! what next???

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Those roads, quiet sunny day and 2 wheels :D:D:D
    there slowly eroding rathdrum, closure of msd soon and now there train station! what next???

That article is simply misleading. Rathdrum train station will not be closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

They have just installed a new ticket machine, so i seriously doubt that story is true, I mean there was no ticket machine at the station or anyone to sell them, so how could they tell how many people were using the service, its unmanned! hop on and off all day...great little country!!

I live just outside Laragh, and had to use the train for while and haven't been back in the car since, my job is city based so ill always get the train, looking back I never even considered it all those wasted hours driving when I could have been sleeping.. :pac:

Advertisement