Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm Looking For Opinions on Pricing For A Pre-Configured HTPC.

• 07-08-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm wondering what do you HTPC enthusiasts think of the following box and it's pricing....HERE .
    Now I'm aware you can build one much cheaper and it's a bit pricey for a HTPC.This will be mainly setup and fully supported for people that want the easy option.So I'm just looking for opinions on the pricing for a relation,he has just taken stock of These in Ireland and has put them on the market for €295.
    I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking for your opinion on this.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The only info I got about the box software was that it has XBMC.

What OS is it running? ..... maybe I missed that?
    All I read was it comparing itself to cheap Android boxes .... so presumable not Android then.
    How well supported is the OS?

I see there is an implication that lots of Sports channels and others, that I am aware are available by paid subscription, would be available ..... but then I realised that what I was looking at was for all products listed apparently and not this one alone.

I could find no details on the set up it would be supplied with.

I would not be inclined to buy ..... too many questions I have that were not touched on.

Sorry for my negative reaction ... but you did ask ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

The only info I got about the box software was that it has XBMC.

What OS is it running? ..... maybe I missed that?

It's running Openelec

All I read was it comparing itself to cheap Android boxes .... so presumable not Android then.
    How well supported is the OS?

I see there is an implication that lots of Sports channels and others, that I am aware are available by paid subscription, would be available ..... but then I realised that what I was looking at was for all products listed apparently and not this one alone.

I could find no details on the set up it would be supplied with.

I would not be inclined to buy ..... too many questions I have that were not touched on.

Sorry for my negative reaction ... but you did ask ;)

Did you look at the actual Prometheus link in my post,I know there's not lots of info on it.But if you look you will see it's running Openelec.Also any questions are answered promptly by the support on the site.

The box was put together by Hackermil of the MashUp repo and a couple of others and they provide full support.
    Being a HTPC you can add RAM or SSD's if you wish.It's a fanless PC so the casing is mostly the heat-sink.I welcome your opinion by the way;)

I looked at both links and read them.
    I went back and read both again and still found nothing about the OS in the text ..... then I noticed an Openelec logo on the page of your second link.
    No mention of it that I read in the details.

Much more detail would be needed - in text explanation - 'for me'. ;)

You mention that RAM and/or SSD can be added and it is fanless ...... none of which I recall reading on the webpage.

When details are missing I tend to avoid a device as it would be foolish to assume anything.

So my attitude would be .... do put as much technical details on the page as possible, including the type of set up; what is available 'out of box without any input from the user as well as details of the support available.

In my view the more information is available the better .... even if it is info about some limitation or other.

;)

I'll send you a PM containing a review Video.Don't think I can show it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I'm with Johnboy, it's a pig in a bag

• Advertisement

Ok thanx for your input.This seems to have taken on a negative shade.I bought one of these from the US site on launch day and I knew enough to understand what I was getting and what it could do,from the available info and some research.
    By asking about the pricing,I'm just putting the feelers out for my relation since he is now selling the box from Ireland for €295.

I would not have put it that way :)

I have to say I would need much more info on the device before I would consider buying at the price mentioned.

Almost €300 is a lot to fork out under those circumstances.

@Bazzz,
    I got your PM, thank you.

BTW .... if the information cannot be put on the webpage you linked to then maybe it could be placed somewhere else so potential buyers would be better informed ;)

I got your PM, thank you.

BTW .... if the information cannot be put on the webpage you linked to then maybe it could be placed somewhere else so potential buyers would be better informed ;)

Thank You.The above is being worked on:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭mcw92

What can the linked box do that the €45 android box I just got with XBMC installed and a external HD connected cant do?
    Apart from the obvious that it will be faster, but 6x's faster? I doubt it tbh.

There are much better XBMC boxes alternatives with full software/hardware support that can be gotten for around ~€100.

mcw92 wrote: »
    What can the linked box do that the €45 android box I just got with XBMC installed and a external HD connected cant do?

There are much better XBMC boxes alternatives with full software/hardware support that can be gotten for around ~€100.

I guess that is part of my point ..... without information we have no idea.

On one level it does present itself as a cheaper NUC .... but who knows?

• Advertisement

mcw92 wrote: »

Ok not to cause upset or come across as being rude(which I'm not),but this thread is not about android v any OS.I am looking for opinions on something(which you are kinda giving,but a bit off topic).

I've used many android devices and for what I need from a Device,the difference between having any of the latest droid boxes and most / this intel based HTPC is night & day(speed,performance,configuration tweaking/upgrade options etc,etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭mcw92

bazzz wrote: »
    Ok not to cause upset or come across as being rude(which I'm not),but this thread is not about android v any OS.I am looking for opinions on something(which you are kinda giving,but a bit off topic).

I've used many android devices and for what I need from a Device,the difference between having any of the latest droid boxes and most / this intel based HTPC is night & day(speed,performance,configuration tweaking/upgrade options etc,etc).

But all this box basically is is a nuc running openlec or some form of Linux that boots straight into xbmc. There is much better value to be had in custom built nuc's imo.

It's definitely not a box for a standard xbmc user anyways.

Just buy an Intel Nuc and put OpenElec on it, don't be tied to someone else's OpenElec install and waiting for them to support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1751915716.html same box minus the ram .so ram and a cheap ssd about 30-40 and then load open-elec for free.hell of a lot cheaper

Just buy an Intel Nuc and put OpenElec on it, don't be tied to someone else's OpenElec install and waiting for them to support it.

Ok this thread is going one way,not the direction I was hoping.But anyways that's how it goes.Yes as I stated in the OP,you can build your own if that's what you are into.
    But by purchasing this setup you are not tied to anyone's Openelec or need to wait for support.Any support if needed is supplied very promptly and you can install whatever you wish on it.

Ok this thread is going one way,not the direction I was hoping.But anyways that's how it goes.Yes as I stated in the OP,you can build your own if that's what you are into.
    But by purchasing this setup you are not tied to anyone's Openelec or need to wait for support.Any support if needed is supplied very promptly and you can install whatever you wish on it.
    I don't ever see you getting 295 for your box op.maybe just keep it and enjoy xbmc

Well you did ask for enthusiasts opinions, €295 is madness for something as vague as this. If it was something cheap and cheerful I'd say go for it, what's the risk, but with this there's a huge risk of it beinga POS. Better to spend that cash on something with known specs and lots of support like one of the popular Android boxes or a NUC.

I think I would prefer to take a chance on one of these and install Openelec myself

http://hly1688.en.alibaba.com/product/1982601208-222345410/3217u_office_computer_3217u_office_pc_3217u_diy_pc_X26_I3L_support_Home_Premium_and_embedded_High_Performance.html

Intel i3 and USB 3

If I had an interest I am sure I could find a friend who would take the second one (min quantity is 2).

Ok thank you all four posters,for your similar opinions.I'll not get into a debate about some of the replies.I did ask for opinions and I got some,so cheers.

Here's a new UK based site selling the Prometheus HTPC and this should excite the four posters in the thread,the total cost works out at about €338;).But there is a little bit more info on the site.

• Advertisement

Crazy money for something that's basically a no-name chinese pc running a completely free software. The XBMC devs are rebranding and changing the XBMC name to Kodi directly because of devices like this, they cannot trademark the XBMC logo and therefore cannot stop their name and logo being used to market devices like this. XBMC and OpenElec are free, just buy a reputable device with support and configure it to your liking yourself. There is no idea how long this device will get support for any hardware issues, if any.

Well that didn't take long:D..
    XBMC and OpenElec are free, just buy a reputable device with support and configure it to your liking yourself

Could you tell me what a reputable device is?
    There is no idea how long this device will get support for any hardware issues, if any.

This is the start of a product....It's currently well supported and that's the plan for the future of the product.As is the same with all new products.If it goes well or tits up that remains to be seen(like everything).

I started this thread looking for opinions on the pricing of a very good well supported device.You don't like the product or the pricing(that's fine),but you are a little overboard on your negativity.

Could you tell me what a reputable device is?

Intel, Gigabyte, Zotac and ASUS would be my choice of mini computer if I was spending that sort of cash
    http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/nuc/overview.html
    http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104
    http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/product/mini-pcs.html
    http://www.asus.com/ASUS_VivoPC/

Crazy money for something that's basically a no-name chinese pc running a completely free software. The XBMC devs are rebranding and changing the XBMC name to Kodi directly because of devices like this, they cannot trademark the XBMC logo and therefore cannot stop their name and logo being used to market devices like this. XBMC and OpenElec are free, just buy a reputable device with support and configure it to your liking yourself. There is no idea how long this device will get support for any hardware issues, if any.
    I fully agree it's a shame to see the Dec's getting money hungry

Here's a new UK based site selling the Prometheus HTPC and this should excite the four posters in the thread,the total cost works out at about €338;).But there is a little bit more info on the site.

Thanks.

The reaction you get here is probably due to the posters being aware of alternatives which - at least to us - have lots more 'bang for buck'.

There are a lot of consumer items being sold which I would not touch, because I am aware of alternatives which are much better.

Yet those items do sell .... and sometimes sell in large quantities.

So, to me, the only conclusion one can take from the postings on this thread is that this box will not appeal to a specific section of the public.
    How it will fare otherwise is as yet unknown.

Thanks.

The reaction you get here is probably due to the posters being aware of alternatives which - at least to us - have lots more 'bang for buck'.

There are a lot of consumer items being sold which I would not touch, because I am aware of alternatives which are much better.

Yet those items do sell .... and sometimes sell in large quantities.

So, to me, the only conclusion one can take from the postings on this thread is that this box will not appeal to a specific section of the public.
    How it will fare otherwise is as yet unknown.

Thanx for the reply.I did state in the OP the box is a bit pricey and you could build one much cheaper.
    Now I'm aware you can build one much cheaper and it's a bit pricey for a HTPC.This will be mainly setup and fully supported for people that want the easy option.
    So I'm just looking for opinions on the pricing for a relation,he has just taken stock of These in Ireland and has put them on the market for €295.
    .Thanks
    So I completely understand where you are coming from.The box is selling well at the moment and is very well supported.It was never going to appeal to all areas of the market,
    which was one of the first things considered when putting it together.
    The reason I bought one of these,was to give support to the guys that put the box together and their work over the last few years.Ok thanx again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's more of a media client with no?

Advertisement