Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwaway credit card numbers?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I know that in some countries, you can get a 'disposable' credit card number generated by your bank, that you can then use on online transactions. That protects your actual card/account. Paypal used to offer this service from what I read online.

Is there any Irish bank that offers such a service? I am aware of 3v, but it's not really the same thing, and requires visiting a PayZone outlet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No. AIB used to offer a service called Transactonline which did that, but it was dropped a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bundasbar

No banking institutions provide this service anymore as I'm aware. The closest thing to it would be the card launch by AN POST months back.Top it up at any post office or even transfer money to card via your online banking account. Its accepted at all Mastercard outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Many thanks. Bundasbar, do you happen to know what the name of that card from An Post is?

Swirlcard looks great actually, might be what I need. Suppose the drawback is it is not really as disposable as you might want, and a shame it uses an international transfer so it might take a couple of days to topup, but can't have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BuffyBot wrote: »
    No. AIB used to offer a service called Transactonline which did that, but it was dropped a long time ago.
    Yes, that was a great idea, I used it all the time. I have no idea why they dropped it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Bundasbar wrote: »
    No banking institutions provide this service anymore as I'm aware. The closest thing to it would be the card launch by AN POST months back.Top it up at any post office or even transfer money to card via your online banking account. Its accepted at all Mastercard outlets.

The AnPost Card is a currency card in either $ or £ and not in €. Also you can only load it at a post office (in person with the ID), no online money transfer is possible.

There are some international options available, but all of these are e-money institutions not banks so you money is not safe in case they colapse.

Neteller offers a virtual mastercard but they charge 2 GBP/2.50 EUR/3 USD for each number generated and you can have maximum 5 active cards at any time if you are fully verified. This is in addition to their plastic card.

Ecocard (Ecopayz.com) offers a virtual visa card and they charge 1.80€ per card generated.

Entropay also offers the ability to generate new visa card numbers as often as you want but they charge 4.95% to load the card. They also offer different currency cards and charge 2% conversion charge.

Unfortunatly there is no easy way of getting one time usage cards online in Ireland. The only option is to leave the house and go buy a 3V or a swirlcard instant which you can load with the amount you want to spend (plus fees) and than dispose afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xstriker

An example which I know works is that if your employer was paying you an annual bonus (not many of them floating around I know) you can get up to €250 of this tax free in the form of a disposable credit card, my own company used visa mastercard. If they can issue one off credit cards for this purpose I don't see why they can't do it for other purposes as well, maybe you could check it out?

Advertisement