Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Android Studio running in Ubuntu

Options
  • 07-08-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been wanting to get back into development for quite some time, and then I found a Udacity course on android development, so decided to take the plunge. I've been trying to get Android Studio up and running on an Ubuntu 14.04 laptop, and it's been quite trying. I managed to get all the 32 bit libraries installed and working, but now I get an error saying that either the JDK or JAVA_HOME system variable is not set.

I have downloaded the JDK (1.8.0) and have tried to set the environmental variable (running echo $JAVA_HOME returns /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0_11/ but Android Studio will not compile.

I'm feeling rather simple at this point, am I missing something obvious? :o

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Are you trying to use 64bit stuff with 32bit jdk?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

srsly78 wrote: »
    Are you trying to use 64bit stuff with 32bit jdk?

It was 2 things in the end. Firstly it was the 32 bit libraries needed (which was easily resolved), the second thing was the JAVA_HOME path for the jdk, it wasn't recognising the jdk downloaded as a JDK. Played around, working now.

Android studio seems quite memory intensive though, my laptop only has 3GB and it's a struggle. I ordered 4GB so I'll have 6 by end of week, hoping that'll make an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Probably not if you are running 32bit ubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

srsly78 wrote: »
    Probably not if you are running 32bit ubuntu.

No, it's 64 bit Ubuntu, Android Studio was asking for 32bit libraries which aren't included by default.

Advertisement