If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax HB-1000S, Does it support DNLA

Options
  • 07-08-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭

Am looking at the Humax HB-1000S to replace an old Skybox.

The description on your web site says
    • "[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With one of the USB ports you can connect a media player or external hard drive and watch stored video on your TV"[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"By using a separately available dongle you can also connect to your network hub via wi-fi, via the second USB connection (an Ethernet connection is included as standard)[/font]"
    [*]

Can/Could I take it from this that I could play media content (AVI/MP4 etc) over the Ethernet connection.

I have an old Skybox and a BluRay player with DNLA support, and was hoping that this unit could replace both. (apart of course from the whole playing dvd/bluray disks part).

Also the title/description on the website is "Humax Hb1000 Freesat box with freetime (Freeview Boxes)" Why mention freeview on a freesat box.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

• "[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With one of the USB ports you can connect a media player or external hard drive and watch stored video on your TV"[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"By using a separately available dongle you can also connect to your network hub via wi-fi, via the second USB connection (an Ethernet connection is included as standard)[/font]"

[*]

Can/Could I take it from this that I could play media content (AVI/MP4 etc) over the Ethernet connection.

I have an old Skybox and a BluRay player with DNLA support, and was hoping that this unit could replace both. (apart of course from the whole playing dvd/bluray disks part).

Also the title/description on the website is "Humax Hb1000 Freesat box with freetime (Freeview Boxes)" Why mention freeview on a freesat box.
    [*]
    H Gerard.

The Humax HB1000S is indeed DNLA compatible when used with the dongle and can stream from an external HDD.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I had a look at our Richersounds.ie website and it has the Humax listed in the FREEVIEW section of the site. This is because there is no FREESAT section on our website.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hb1000s/huma-hb1000s[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are in the process of building a NEW website (COMING SOON).........[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I do apologies if it being listed in this section has caused any hassle.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I can confirm that this is 100% a freesat box.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope this clears thing up.[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Gerard, unfortunately not.

None of the Humax boxes allow any sort of streaming / DLNA etc etc.

It is deliberate.

The category that this falls under is our freeview category as we don't have a freesat category.

Apologies for the confusion. We are launching a new website for Ireland so watch this space.

ATB

Dave

[*]

[*]
    Hi Gerard.

Seems to be some conflicting information between myself and Dave.

Our Richersounds website states it will do DNLA. Himax's website states the following:
    Elsewhere, the on board Humax portal software allows you to stream content from a NAS, PC/Mac or home server to the TV, although once again file format support is reasonably limited. Note that you won’t be able to stream content recorded on a USB hard drive connected to the HB-1000S as there’s no DLNA server on board.

So it seems in can collect it via your network but not direct from USB.

A little confusing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi Gerard, unfortunately not.

None of the Humax boxes allow any sort of streaming / DLNA etc etc.

It is deliberate.

The category that this falls under is our freeview category as we don't have a freesat category.

Apologies for the confusion. We are launching a new website for Ireland so watch this space.

ATB

Dave
    Dave,

The Humax site (when talking about the "HDR-1010S freesat+ with <free time>") state "Play back a wide range of audio and video content from compatible devices in your home network.", so certainly some of them do, but the site is less clear on the "Humax HB-1000S"

Gerard

[*]

[*]
    Hi Gerard.

Our Richersounds website states it will do DNLA. Himax's website states the following:
    Elsewhere, the on board Humax portal software allows you to stream content from a NAS, PC/Mac or home server to the TV, although once again file format support is reasonably limited. Note that you won’t be able to stream content recorded on a USB hard drive connected to the HB-1000S as there’s no DLNA server on board.

[*]
    I do not want the "Humax HB-1000S" do be a DNLA server, I have a NAS, I want it do be a DNLA client, so that i can use to to watch content on my home network

• Advertisement

[*]

[*]
    Hi Gerard.

[*]
    I do not want the "Humax HB-1000S" do be a DNLA server, I have a NAS, I want it do be a DNLA client, so that i can use to to watch content on my home network
    [*]
    Hi Gerard.

I'll need to give Humax a call tomorrow and get this confirmed straight from them.

I'll see if I can get a list of the ones that do and the ones that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tommyphelan

hi Gerard,

i own another humax box...the HDR-1000S freesat box and i can stream everything from my NAS server.

Tom

[*]

[*]
    Hi Gerard.

[*]

[*]
    Hi Gerard.

I'll need to give Humax a call tomorrow and get this confirmed straight from them.

[*]
    Any news from them please ?

[*]

[*]
    Hi Gerard.

[*]

[*]
    Hi Gerard.

[*]
    Any news from them please ?
    [*]
    Hi Gerard.

Got in contact with Humax and they have said that the HB1000s can receive from a NAS drive but not out put through it.
    Humax have also said that none of there freseat boxes will perform this function.

Sorry.

Maybe it's the lateness of the hour, but I cannot fully follow  this.

Does "HB1000s can receive from a NAS drive" mean that it can play media content on the NAS drive, which is the functionality I want.

Does "but not out put through it." mean it cannot use the NAS drive to record programmes onto ?

regards

Gerard

• Advertisement

Maybe it's the lateness of the hour, but I cannot fully follow  this.

Does "HB1000s can receive from a NAS drive" mean that it can play media content on the NAS drive, which is the functionality I want.

Does "but not out put through it." mean it cannot use the NAS drive to record programmes onto ?

regards

Gerard
    Hi Gerard,

Looking at it the box will play files from your NAS drive.  But it will not allow you to copy onto an external hard drive, or USB.  

Hope this helps.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.