Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House needs a lot of work. Who do I ask?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    I'm trying to buy a house.
    I had the building surveyor out yesterday, basically the house needs more work than originally thought.
    It's a 1970ish pre-fab house. So timber framed with brick cladding, no insulation. Surveyor was a bit down on the whole thing because he doesn't like this type of construction.
    So the list of things the surveyor found, plus things we want to do ourselves are:
    Needs insulated (surveyor seemed to think this might be difficult)
    Chimney is leaking
    Some leftover gun barrel piping in hotpress leading to outside needs replaced (everything else has already been replaced with copper)
    Galvanized water tank needs replaced
    New attic trapdoor (current trapdoor is above hotpress and is TINY, I'd say it's about 50cm, so obviously would need a new one to get a new tank up)
    Some of the brick cladding needs replaced
    Seals have gone on 2 of the windows
    We want to remove a wall (stud wall) and install a new kitchen

So I'm 6.5 months pregnant with twins, I don't want to be bothered running around after 10 different people. Can I just get one person in who would tell me what needed done and how much it would cost and could oversee the project and getting subcontractors etc?
    Different companies seem to do different things. I'm just so confused. I need a pretty decent estimate so I can go back to the vendor, because as things stand it looks like this work will cost min €10,000 more than we had anticipated when we made our offer.

Anyone know who I should be contacting who can give me advice about all these things?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Had a couple who planned a rear extension but put it off due similar 2+ month away commitments
    What you want at this stage sounds like a Qs. This all site specific and your situation is not uncommon, but personally I fail to see how an estimate can be taken seriously without a site assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fluffymuffy

Thanks Byran. I never would have thought of a QS, but it sounds like exactly the sort of person I need.

This all site specific and your situation is not uncommon, but personally I fail to see how an estimate can be taken seriously without a site assessment.[/QUOTE]

I didn't really understand this bit, are you talking about a separate site assessment or is this something the QS does also?
    I really am clueless.

So if anyone has a recommendation for a decent QS I'd love if you would PM me.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fluffymuffy

Sorry. Should have said the house is in North Meath. So a QS who works around North County Dublin or the Drogheda area.

Advertisement