Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipknot: The Negative One (New Single)

Options
  • 07-08-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

As a person who has listened to and enjoyed them in the past I found this track a serious let down. It treads extremely trodden ground. The only thing that actually seems to stick out are the Drums and DJ Scratches. Jim/Mick (guitars) seem to be completely out of ideas riff wise. It's like the only one who's given time to shine in the track is Syd the DJ.

Everything else about the song is something any decent 4 piece metal band or 5 piece nu-metal band could have put together. If this is the big hit single of the new album and indicative of the albums quality/standard, I'll be taking a big pass on buying it. Is everyone just excited cause it's a new Slipknot song, or because it's a good Slipknot song?

Even with the title of the track and given how loud the drums are in the mix I wonder is it a big middle finger to Joey. All it made me want to do was throw on some of their actual good stuff. Also the 18+/NSFW video is awful altogether. Just a miss mash of dark/black/occult imagery/totems/items. Not a rant cause i'm not mad, just disappointed. :(

*Awaits generic hate from non-slipknot fans* :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

Not a the single according to Corey, just something 'for thr fans'
    I didnt mind it actually, reminded me of gehenna and the older stuff
    I havent listened to it properly or watched the video yet so Icant really say much else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

It's a nice throwback to some of their original stuff, but by jasus it needs less of the DJ sh*t. The scratches add nothing at all and are way too prominent in the mix.

EDIT: With video....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Cormac... wrote: »
    As a person who has listened to and enjoyed them in the past I found this track a serious let down. It treads extremely trodden ground. The only thing that actually seems to stick out are the Drums and DJ Scratches. Jim/Mick (guitars) seem to be completely out of ideas riff wise. It's like the only one who's given time to shine in the track is Syd the DJ.

Everything else about the song is something any decent 4 piece metal band or 5 piece nu-metal band could have put together. If this is the big hit single of the new album and indicative of the albums quality/standard, I'll be taking a big pass on buying it. Is everyone just excited cause it's a new Slipknot song, or because it's a good Slipknot song?

Even with the title of the track and given how loud the drums are in the mix I wonder is it a big middle finger to Joey. All it made me want to do was throw on some of their actual good stuff. Also the 18+/NSFW video is awful altogether. Just a miss mash of dark/black/occult imagery/totems/items. Not a rant cause i'm not mad, just disappointed. :(

*Awaits generic hate from non-slipknot fans* :p

Ya like bushball says it's not a single as you've suggested in thread title; I think due to the way music is released nowadays the first airing of a new track is presumed to be a single but yeah I agree the track is underwhelming.

Certain bands have a section of fans who that band is the be all, end all and this is true of Slipknot I believe these fans are more glad to have them return and hope for a tour than dissect what the new track is like but say its the biz nonetheless.

Here's a piece from metal injection, Corey says the single on the way is called "The Devil In I".

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/slipknot-frontman-reveals-album-release-month-teases-new-single-drummer-mask-info-coming-soon

What about the rumor that Chris Adler is the drummer on the album? Im not espically big LOG fan so not familier with his style?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

bushball wrote: »
    What about the rumor that Chris Adler is the drummer on the album? Im not espically big LOG fan so not familier with his style?

I thought it was a done deal / worst kept secret that this Weinberg lad was the new drummer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Weinberg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Pretty basic song but a catchy one nontheless. I'll be giving the full album a listen. Agree with commenter above that the DJ scratchy sh1t has never added anything to their music and seems like more of a gimmick than anything, like the extra 'percussion instruments'/banging on some kegs.

Video is pretty crap! No need for that icky orange ooze coming out her teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well they've released another song from the album, I'm glady to see they've discovered the use of Phaser effects :rolleyes:

What do ye think?

If you’re one of those people who’s like “Slipknot sound too much like Stone Sour now,” well, hey, guess what? This song isn’t gonna do much to convince you you’re wrong.

Definitely sounds more like S.S to me, dont mind it but not that gone on it either, Still fairly excited for the album, Oct 21 if Im not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Full video for The Devil In I. Slightly NFSW, unless you work in an abattoir.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

The song is really growing on me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

I give a resounding meh

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

The two new songs are instantly forgettable. The Devil in I is especially poor for a lead single. It sounds to me like Slipknot are all out of ideas and Corey would rather be with Stone Sour. They've completely lost their verve. And don't even get me started on those crappy videos...

The new songs are fine
    Just fine
    Nothing special
    I hate to say it but they really need to replace Paul and Joey

Nonetheless can't wait to see them in November!!

The new songs are fine
    Just fine
    Nothing special
    I hate to say it but they really need to replace Paul and Joey

Nonetheless can't wait to see them in November!!

Apparently the new members are:

Allesandro Venturella - Bass

According to MetalSucks

and (probably!) as rumoured for a long time:

Jay Weinberg - Drums

According to MetalSucks

Are they permanent though? I thought they were just subs.

Are they permanent though? I thought they were just subs.

Who knows. They are not getting their own masks for the time being.

But then again I imagine Joey Jordison thought he was "permanent" too!

Advertisement